Golf course in 3 counties, it is unique?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think it's the Zoo?
Could be but I dont think any part of the course is in Hertfordshire....looking on the maps I think the 1st tee could be in Bucks and pretty much everything else is in Bedfordshire
The county line for Hertfordshire looks to be south of the road up to the club...and everything is north of that road
I guess it depends which map you're looking at....

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I know of the course but never played it. Originally 9 holes, it was extended to 18 across the border but one county won't allow any bunkers so it only has bunkers on 9 of the holes.
A prime example of sad people flexing their perceived power. This has to be up their with some of the most ridiculous things I’ve heard.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been known to drive over three fairways but never three counties, not in the same day anyway.

Must be a record?

Love the dual country course mentioned, no passport required, not yet anyway!

GBC

D

Deleted Member 1156

Could be but I dont think any part of the course is in Hertfordshire....looking on the maps I think the 1st tee could be in Bucks and pretty much everything else is in Bedfordshire
The county line for Hertfordshire looks to be south of the road up to the club...and everything is north of that road
I guess it depends which map you're looking at....
The OP says the club address is Herts but the course is in Bucks/Beds, does that sound about right for the Zoo?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Whipsnade Park is set in the peaceful, beautiful countryside of the Chiltern Hills. It borders the three counties of Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire and offers panoramic views over them all.

Lifted from The Zoo Website,

The course itself is mostly in Bedfordshire with a little bit in Buckinghamshire
Hertfordshire is a few hundred yards to the south of the course, but you can certainly see all 3 counties

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
See post #13

Part of the course is built on the grounds of what was once a county house estate - Rushmore Park. I understand various restrictions were imposed not just bunkers.
Likewise Minchinhampton Common in Glos has no bunkers and none allowed as it is on common land - might be the case for any course on common land. Got a feeling that Painswick also has no bunkers as much on common land.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Before HS2 closed Aylesbury Park it only had bunkers on 4 holes.
The land was part leased from the council and part from the owners of the swanky hotel and spa that was half a field away.
They didn't want their huge fee paying guests to be able to look out of windows in the middle of the country and see sand....even though, even in winter you could barely see the hotel from the course...the bunkers (6) were on the other 4 holes leased from the council..

D

Deleted Member 1156

Likewise Minchinhampton Common in Glos has no bunkers and none allowed as it is on common land - might be the case for any course on common land. Got a feeling that Painswick also has no bunkers as much on common land.
I don't think there is any set rule about it, the 2 public courses in Bournemouth on common land both have bunkers although they leave a bit to be desired! If you play out of them the first thing you'll do after the round is buy a new sand wedge :oops:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know of the course but never played it. Originally 9 holes, it was extended to 18 across the border but one county won't allow any bunkers so it only has bunkers on 9 of the holes.
It's Rushmore. Nice course which has a magnificent backdrop of colours when the foliage of the many trees turn in the Autumn.

They flip between being affiliated with Dorset and Wiltshire - I have a feeling the Gents and Ladies are affiliated to different counties.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'm sure my dad used to tell me of a course that had a green in 3 different counties.

Maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Berkhamsted (also on common land) has no bunkers. Instead it has humps with long tangly grass that are more difficult to play out of than bunkers!

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Epsom GC only has bunkers around the 18th green, as it is the only part of the course the club owns. The rest of the course is on land owned by the Jockey Club and they won't allow bunkers.

Alexander Park GC in Herefordshire has no bunkers, I assumed this due to it being a new course and the club waiting for the course to settle in before installing them.