Golf Club Security

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
my club has added a few security measures recently, some feel a bit odd. We now have codes on all the clubhouse doors and a cark park exit code (automatic entry). Was wondering what steps other courses have taken, and what issues led to it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A previous club had a problem with travellers coming into the club and using the changing rooms. Diesel oil also went missing from the greens sheds. I have heard of another club that had to pay them to move off the car park. Add to that the general security issues that are seen occasionally, e.g. a car stolen from the car park or clubs going missing from the changing rooms, and you can see why some clubs decide to add to their security.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine is not near anywhere so we don't have any additional locks, codes etc. It is not unusual to go to clubs with key code entry though, the club located on the edge of my home town does for example. Makes sense and I imagine, although don't know, that it was in response to items going missing or people 'wandering' in.

I've not been to a club with a car park barrier system, that's a new one on me.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our club has a key fob for entrance. To be honest it makes sense. It's really easy to steal from a golf club. So many members that you can't know everyone. Just dress up as a golfer, carry a sports or shoe bag and follow someone into the club. Most people hold the door open for anyone following. Hang around till nobody's there and walk around and help yourself to anything left hanging around.

Wolf

Visit site
Most clubs I've been to over the years have introduced codes or fob access to to locker rooms. Only played one course ever though that had a barrier and that was West Malling it was definetly hard to get out of the club than in to it

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our clubhouse has swipecard/keycode entry on all doors to the clubhouse

Didn't stop us being broken into a couple of months ago :mad::mad::mad:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have keycode security gates at the main/only entrance, swipe card entry lock on front door of clubhouse, and keycode entry to the locker rooms. Downside is the carpark gates are never closed, the front door is never locked, and the locker room code has not been changed in about 4 years, despite being given to every visitor we've ever had. Go figure ...?

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always had swipe card\key code for locker rooms as long as I've been a member.

Last year they also put them on the clubhouse entry doors as well. So suspect something must have triggered them to do that, but don't know what. But I can probably guess.

Not sure what else they have. Suspect there's some security camera's up as well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We were broken into a few years ago and had all of our trophies stolen - as a result we installed CCTV and converted our built-in trophy cabinets into what are essential armoured glass fronted safes...

Then earlier this year we were again broken into, and the shop was emptied of everything of any great value - as a result of that we have installed a 'shop-front' grill across the shop door and internal glazing to the clubhouse entrance 'hall'

And more recently our little trolley shed was broken into and a few powered trolleys were stolen. We're not going to do anything about that as it's only a handful of members who have ever kept their trolleys in there.

We've had club swipe card data locks on our changing room doors for years.

Unfortunate but that's the way of the world.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know Burnham and Berrow has a car barrier, probably bought in to stop non players using the car park (parking can be a problem in the high season due to popularity as a sea side resort etc)

We have a lockable gate, we have had problems with travellers, it was originally a height restricted barrier which was too low for a caravan, we have had the course used a joy riding area in the past. We also have keycode entry to changing rooms. We have had the changing rooms broken in to and a lot of clubs stolen from lockers and we have had an attempted break ins to Greenkeepers sheds and the bar.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We went to an code entry on the doors this year. We kept getting camper vans parking up overnight, then the buggers coming in for a shower and steal the towels. Also they are talking about putting a car park barrier back up as lots of dog walkers are parking in the car park and letting the dogs crap on the grass banks and path to the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our gates will let anyone in but to get out you need the code or a token from the bar, pro shop or office. The external doors from the course to the locker room has a keypad and to access these from inside its swipe card only. Like others though our code rarely gets changed so seems a little self-defeating. I do admire those clubs that change the code daily.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Amazed by the variety of answers! but i guess that the variety of locations is pretty big too.

Our gates will let anyone in but to get out you need the code or a token from the bar, pro shop or office. The external doors from the course to the locker room has a keypad and to access these from inside its swipe card only. Like others though our code rarely gets changed so seems a little self-defeating. I do admire those clubs that change the code daily.

Really interested if you guys have found that making that changed stopped, or reduced, whatever issue you had that led to it?