Golf Club Membership question

ollyjg

Visit site
Hi all,

I am new here so apologies if this is posted in the wrong section!

Basically, I have a question regarding memberships at a golf club and wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation..

I am currently a member of a club, but what's classed as an 'Intermediate' member, the middle ground as such between a junior and a full member. I'll be turning 23 in March, and as such according to my clubs guidelines I will be an intermediate member until I turn 25. However, being an intermediate member at my club severely limits my playing rights, as such I am not allowed to tee off until after half 11 on a weekend, and I can't play in certain competitions. This is quite a bug bear, as my dad is also a member of the same club, and we enjoy playing together.

My main question is, I want to approach my club secretary and ask if there is a way that I can become a full member, and therefore will have full playing rights, despite being under the age threshold. I am willing to of course pay the significant increase in cost of the membership, but I am wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what the outcome was of their discussions with their club? My club is somewhat of an "old fashioned" golf club, in respects that its a *golf club* not a hotel/gym etc etc etc.

Any help is much appreciated, and good golfing to you all!

Olly

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

I am new here so apologies if this is posted in the wrong section!

Basically, I have a question regarding memberships at a golf club and wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation..

I am currently a member of a club, but what's classed as an 'Intermediate' member, the middle ground as such between a junior and a full member. I'll be turning 23 in March, and as such according to my clubs guidelines I will be an intermediate member until I turn 25. However, being an intermediate member at my club severely limits my playing rights, as such I am not allowed to tee off until after half 11 on a weekend, and I can't play in certain competitions. This is quite a bug bear, as my dad is also a member of the same club, and we enjoy playing together.

My main question is, I want to approach my club secretary and ask if there is a way that I can become a full member, and therefore will have full playing rights, despite being under the age threshold. I am willing to of course pay the significant increase in cost of the membership, but I am wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what the outcome was of their discussions with their club? My club is somewhat of an "old fashioned" golf club, in respects that its a *golf club* not a hotel/gym etc etc etc.

Any help is much appreciated, and good golfing to you all!

Olly

No harm in asking, and most clubs are not exactly overrun with prospective members these days. Really depends if the club uses that as a budget route in for younger people or if they are a 'cravat in the bar after 7' sort of club.

ollyjg

Visit site
No harm in asking, and most clubs are not exactly overrun with prospective members these days. Really depends if the club uses that as a budget route in for younger people or if they are a 'cravat in the bar after 7' sort of club.

The club gives off the persona of a strict club in terms of its rules and regs, but I've not really seen much follow through during my time as a member there. I suppose asking the question won't hurt, my main thinking is they'd be quite silly to turn down more money coming into the club..

Thanks for the reply :)

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My guess is that they will welcome you as a full paying members with open arms. The intermediate memberships are more a tool to keep young people from leaving the club when they go away for college or when they just don't have enough income yet to pay for a full membership. Can't see any reason why they would not allow you to upgrade.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I do know of a couple of intermediates who paid the extra for full access without any bother. That aside, I wonder if there'd be a case for age discrimination if they said no... Perhaps not worth arguing over but...

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I should have thought that if you are willing to pay the difference to become a full member they will be very happy, I believe that the main reason for intermediate membership was to try and help/attract/retain younger members who otherwise might be able to afford the subs.

Welcome along BTW, let's have a bit more info about you. :thup:

ollyjg

Visit site
My guess is that they will welcome you as a full paying members with open arms. The intermediate memberships are more a tool to keep young people from leaving the club when they go away for college or when they just don't have enough income yet to pay for a full membership. Can't see any reason why they would not allow you to upgrade.

I do know of a couple of intermediates who paid the extra for full access without any bother. That aside, I wonder if there'd be a case for age discrimination if they said no... Perhaps not worth arguing over but...

I should have thought that if you are willing to pay the difference to become a full member they will be very happy, I believe that the main reason for intermediate membership was to try and help/attract/retain younger members who otherwise might be able to afford the subs.

Welcome along BTW, let's have a bit more info about you. :thup:

Thanks for all the replies, makes me feel like there is hope and I can get entering competitions and playing stress free golf! :)

Bit more info about myself, I'll be turning 23 in March, currently playing off 23, but looking to get my handicap down significantly over the next 12-18 months and hopefully investing a lot of time, and subsequently money, into the game! Just recently upgraded my irons to Mizuno JPX850s, and swinging a TM RBZ stage 2 driver!

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our Intermediate membership runs from 18-30 with unrestricted tee times and competition entry.

Cost for age 18-24, equivalent to one third of Ordinary Members fee.

Cost for age 25-30, equivalent to one half of Ordinary Members fee.

ollyjg

Visit site
Our Intermediate membership runs from 18-30 with unrestricted tee times and competition entry.

Cost for age 18-24, equivalent to one third of Ordinary Members fee.

Cost for age 25-30, equivalent to one half of Ordinary Members fee.

This would be the perfect scenario, discounted membership with full playing rights!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I initially joined my former club as a 5 day member on a reduced rate as a work concession. When I asked if they wouldn't mind me joining properly and paying the full price they welcomed me with open arms. Not exactly the same but I'd be surprised if the club would turn the money down, especially as you are a known quantity. Good luck.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
very commendable, I can't see why they would not allow you to be a full member, the deal you are on is presumably to allow younger guys to become members, who would not otherwise afford it.

We have this type membership at my place, but full playing rights and half the fee. It should be means tested in my opinion.

we have a fair few at our that could easily afford full whack, have there own houses and have very well paid jobs.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The intermediate membership is to help younger members who cannot afford to pay the full fees, I would expect them to take your money without a problem.

ollyjg

Visit site
I appreciate all your replies and votes of confidence, guys. Thank you.
I will ask the question next week and hopefully get a quick response, and shall let you all know :)

D

Deleted member 1740

I appreciate all your replies and votes of confidence, guys. Thank you.
I will ask the question next week and hopefully get a quick response, and shall let you all know :)

I suspect you'll be expected to put it in writing to the committee so it can be accepted or rejected.

Good luck though.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, would agree with the consensus. Intermediate category at most clubs is to cushion the blow between Junior & Full members subs.

At our place you can play in most comps as an Intermediate with a few restrictions, but equally if you want to pay a full membership you'd be welcomed with open arms.