Golf Club Membership - Poll no. 2 for those who did renew this year...

If you decided to renew your golf club membership, what were the key factors?

• Cost/value for money

Votes: 52 38.5%
  • Flexible membership options

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Quality of the course

Votes: 83 61.5%
  • Location/convenience

Votes: 82 60.7%
  • Circle of friends/social side etc

Votes: 80 59.3%
  • Competition schedule

Votes: 37 27.4%
  • Other (please advise)

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
As per the first golf club membership thread, this is the second poll for those who did renew their club memberships this year, looking to find out the key reasons for deciding to do so

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably one of the few who cares less about where I play than who I play with. Ditched the pretentious place with arguably a far better course for a club with members I wanted to spend time on the course with

D

Deleted member 1147

I enjoy my golf more than ever, the course is being well maintained and is receiving significant investment.
It’s also the best course in Derby.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Course quality, location and the playing partners/social side for me, not in any particular order. Helps a lot that the social side is good as there are less objections from the Minister for Home Affairs when it's bank transfer time. :D

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're not a top 100 course, and we're never going to be so - but the course is a decent test and is in good condition . But it's the membership & competitive element that keeps me interested & willing to part with the subs each year.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
All of the options bar "Flexible Membership" for me as we don't have any!

Fortunate to be a member of a members club that has a very good course and now have a large number of friends there. Wouldn't look anywhere else.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My aunt is a founding member. My parents are members. So are my cousin and his son. I think I would risk being shunned and disinherited should I consider to go someplace else :D So I chose "social side" as the reason in the poll, even though I am really no party animal.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I put circle of friends becaue it's a really friendly club and we know a lot of people down there. But quality and location both come into it. The course has improved significantly over the last 3 or 4 years, and looks to keep improving. We have a couple of OK public courses in MK, the other clubs are all about equal travel distance outside.

D

Deleted member 21258

Probably a little unusual in my outlook. I voted other because it is a 'quiet' course.

We have I think 4 courses that are a similar distance from our house and after much thinking about things over the last few months and how golf fits into my life and what brings me enjoyment with regards to golf, came to the conclusion that we have remained at our home course as it is quiet and when we play in the main it is like millionaires golf.

In addition we would not stay if it wasn't friendly, quite a good layout, have trees, fairly close to home.

Condition of course, comps are not important for us. I am a typical social golfer, like a lot of non members golfers I know who do not play so regular.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. Price - my club is at a public course so has the cheapest membership rate around.
2. Location - I don't drive, but my course is just round the corner from me.
3. Friends - have managed to convince a few friends to join with, also thanks to the low price.
4. Quality of course - I'm not hugely fussy but if I hated the course I wouldn't have joined here in the first place.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
There are "better" courses available to me than my "home" but they are all much more expensive, less well located and "less relaxed".

My home place has suffered economically in recent years and perhaps the course condition has deteriorated and we have lost some members and its easy to be dragged down by the opinions of pessimists who constantly moan about things that they feel aren't right...but do nothing to help fix the issues. I'd prefer to continue to support the club that I've been a member at for the last 17 years and give it the opportunity to recover.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I renewed as its the best course that is easily accessible to me, drive past it on my way home from work, and its only 2 miles from home. I captain one of our teams there and have made a group of friends and playing partners that I like to play with, having played a few other places this year, and the condition they are currently in due to weather, and the condition our course is in, I am glad i chose to stay put.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I renewed because being a member of a golf club is just what I do. And my current club ticks all the survey boxes for me.

If asked what about my club makes it for me? Well - it's 5mins drive; great members; great food; great pros and pro shop; great and improving course; as many comps as I could ever want to enter; superb practice facilities erm...it's just a great club to be a member of - full stop.

Last edited:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Cost 100% - freeing up funds for competition golf around the Midlands. Not fussed about social golf 2-3 a week to get value from subs.

Picked a course that is happy for us PMG members to enter and win comps etc. Even better no winter golf on a wet course and pay nothing when it's closed. 2017 spend £1300 all in