Golf Break Advice

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Incidentally, Royal Lytham is £195 for midweek, pretty much the cheapest Open or flash course in the north. The rest are all £220 plus, eg the Liverpool courses, Kingsbarns, Muirfield, Turnberry etc. That is one round, no accommodation.

Wonder how far contacting the club would get you on this, given its for a special occasion, might not be a discount but might get something.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Prestwick where the first open was held.
First tee is almost on the railway platform.
Wonderful course with all the history you will ever need.
Loads of other courses to play .
Nice place to stay .

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Carnoustie? They do a four ball package cheaper than booking as a two. Hotel is a bit tired....oh hang on they've got summat on there this year I think.....awwww pooo.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jesus!!! They've bumped their prices up!!!!!! Recession? Aye, no up here laddie!!!!

Sad.

I've spoken to a few people I know who have done corporate golf at some of the big places. "Try Muirfield, Kingsbarns etc, they wont be that much". £220+ for a round once you reach April! Even they were shocked when they heard the reality. Painful for one person but I'd be paying for two. What if the wind is howling and it chucks it down? £450+ for the golf alone down the pan. At some point I'd like to do some of the big places but it's probably best to try during the off season when it is a little more affordable.

I suspect there must be a lot of American and Japanese tourists paying those prices.

The interesting part of this for me has been discovering the second tier of courses that could make up a great few days away and are far more viable. Less sexy in name terms but for a golfing holiday, just as good and leaving more money over for shiny toys before and after.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've spoken to a few people I know who have done corporate golf at some of the big places. "Try Muirfield, Kingsbarns etc, they wont be that much". £220+ for a round once you reach April! Even they were shocked when they heard the reality. Painful for one person but I'd be paying for two. What if the wind is howling and it chucks it down? £450+ for the golf alone down the pan. At some point I'd like to do some of the big places but it's probably best to try during the off season when it is a little more affordable.

I suspect there must be a lot of American and Japanese tourists paying those prices.

The interesting part of this for me has been discovering the second tier of courses that could make up a great few days away and are far more viable. Less sexy in name terms but for a golfing holiday, just as good and leaving more money over for shiny toys before and after.

How about playing a couple of '2nd tier' course's in April and then taking him to the Open? We went to Birkdale for my 40th and it was an amazing experience. Weekend tickets will cost you £200 for both of you, book a travelodge out of town, train in and out every day, train up there, food and drink money plus a few bits of merchandise plus a weekend away in April playing decent course's plus a hotel for the cost of playing 2 top course's but like you say maybe in howling wind and rain.

D

Deleted member 21258

Think at that time of year I would have thought travel south is a better bet and maybe somewhere inland and on a sand based course.

Also I personally would rather 'slum' it in cheap accommodation(so would book up Travelodge or like) and spend the extra money on the golf courses. I wouldn't pay top dollar for a posh hotel(never felt comfortable in those myself).

As top 200 courses go and not really silly green fees, I would recommend Sandiway and Delamere Forest(there is one hole being worked on btw and was not in play but the extra hole is, not that it affected our enjoyment) . They are very close to each other and are both really cracking courses, Sandiway was really friendly, just about in your travel range I think, sand based and felt really special when playing(they both have good websites with 'pictures' of each hole. I preferred Sandiway but Joanne/Adam preferred Delamere and looking on Sandiway website March green fees are £45 for 18 holes or £55 for the day and Delamere do take county cards or on a normal green fee).

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd look at Southport in March playing Royal Birkdale & Hillside, golf would be less than £250 and you could get a cheap hotel nearby (or in Liverpool) for the night. Rates seem to shoot up after March at most of the big name courses.

D

Deleted member 21258

Or why not join us on the Turnberry trip in the middle of March. Think Glyn mentioned some people had dropped out in one of his posts, so there may now be room ? You never know Glyn may be able to squeeze you and your son into the lodges for the £199 deal for the 1 night, two rounds(alisia main course and Robert the bruce).

A smashing price, amazing courses, mega big course name and hopefully with a good group of people:p:mmm:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or why not join us on the Turnberry trip in the middle of March. Think Glyn mentioned some people had dropped out in one of his posts, so there may now be room ? You never know Glyn may be able to squeeze you and your son into the lodges for the £199 deal for the 1 night, two rounds(alisia main course and Robert the bruce).

A smashing price, amazing courses, mega big course name and hopefully with a good group of people:p:mmm:

Right in the middle of A level mock exams unfortunately. Part of the reason for the timing is it needs to be in school holiday time and before the main exams kick in. Having looked around I know that you are getting a really good deal there.

Some have highlighted staying in separate hotels. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. At certain resorts the bundle they offer makes it worthwhile, Woodhall Spa springs immediately to mind. Other places, less so. You need to do your homework and look at each option.

Again, the Sandiway / Delamere suggestion is sound, you could also add Mere into that in the same area, but it is missing the wow factor for my son. We are trying to get a bit of bazazz into this for an "era" birthday. As previously mentioned, this will be a great option for another trip, just not this one. My mum lives in Knutsford so for future we could do a trip covering some of these 3 courses but with no hotel costs to pay.

I've given him a list of options, including some top 100 courses that have not hosted big tournaments but are clearly top notch, and will chat to him tonight. He may surprise me and go for a sensible option but I'm expecting a teenage choice :D

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Somewhat surprising me my sons initial options are either:

The Belfry, playing The Brabazon and the PGA

St Andrews, staying at Fairmont St Andrews, playing Kittocks and St Andrews New course

I know The Belfry divides opinion but what are peoples thoughts on the two St Andrews options? Now that he has picked out two options I can probably "guide" him at this point.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Somewhat surprising me my sons initial options are either:

The Belfry, playing The Brabazon and the PGA

St Andrews, staying at Fairmont St Andrews, playing Kittocks and St Andrews New course

I know The Belfry divides opinion but what are peoples thoughts on the two St Andrews options? Now that he has picked out two options I can probably "guide" him at this point.

St Andrews new is great, Fairmont though i would steers clear, far better courses around there TBH
why not try Jubilee and New those are the two i would choose and better than anywhere else close by.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're going to go in March to St. Andrews have a look at the castle course it has an opening season offer on for the full month, a breakfast roll, round of golf and a 2 course lunch for £69.
Play the new course/jubilee for £53.
There's a premier inn there aswell that should be about £40/50 a night, within a mile radius of that hotel you have, the old course, th golf museum, play a round at the Himalayas putting green, the dunvegan bar is good nice food and decent beer, loads of photos on the wall of famous faces that have been. Loads of bars and restaurants within that area aswell.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're going to go in March to St. Andrews have a look at the castle course it has an opening season offer on for the full month, a breakfast roll, round of golf and a 2 course lunch for £69.
Play the new course/jubilee for £53.
There's a premier inn there aswell that should be about £40/50 a night, within a mile radius of that hotel you have, the old course, th golf museum, play a round at the Himalayas putting green, the dunvegan bar is good nice food and decent beer, loads of photos on the wall of famous faces that have been. Loads of bars and restaurants within that area aswell.

This sounds a great option.
N Leeds was mentioned & yes it has some great courses but not that good in March & no where near what St Andrews offers IMO

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, avoid Fairmont. Nothing really wrong with it, just that nothing's really right with it either. It's bland and forgettable compared to what's nearby.

Just in case you didn't know, if you aim for the first two weeks of April all the courses are fully open, no mats but you're still in the shoulder season and the St Andrews prices are much more reasonable - the 3 day "unlimited" ticket is £135 and you can play any course except the Old numerous times over 3 days for that. It includes the Castle Course as an option which is about a million times better than Fairmont.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where does the term Shoulder Season come from? Never heard of it before.

Yes, we would be there first two weeks in April but it will only be 1 night, 2 rounds.

Interesting comments about Fairmont. It gets solid reviews online but I'm happy to take the advice from you guys.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, avoid Fairmont. Nothing really wrong with it, just that nothing's really right with it either. It's bland and forgettable compared to what's nearby.

Just in case you didn't know, if you aim for the first two weeks of April all the courses are fully open, no mats but you're still in the shoulder season and the St Andrews prices are much more reasonable - the 3 day "unlimited" ticket is £135 and you can play any course except the Old numerous times over 3 days for that. It includes the Castle Course as an option which is about a million times better than Fairmont.

What are your views on the Castle Course greens? They seem to get marmite responses in reviews.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
I know you briefly mentioned the Belfry earlier but we've got one night two rounds (Darby and PGA National) for £99 at the end of March which is ludicrously cheap. Think it would have been closer to £150 for Brabazon and PGA.