Golf Break Advice

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
What are your views on the Castle Course greens? They seem to get marmite responses in reviews.

The greens are fine, always been in great condition when I've played. The difficult thing is knowing where the pin is in advance of you hitting your approach.

They are so big that if your on the wrong side, front or back you can have some testing putts. Some if your above the hole and in summer can be extremely quick and make a fool of you.

I wouldn't let this put you off playing. The views are stunning, the layout of the holes are great too.

I would put the Jubilee as your #1 then the Castle followed by The New.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know you briefly mentioned the Belfry earlier but we've got one night two rounds (Darby and PGA National) for £99 at the end of March which is ludicrously cheap. Think it would have been closer to £150 for Brabazon and PGA.

1st week in April, £189 for Brabazon and PGA. Still good value compared to other options. Your deal is fantastic value and one that would tempt me in normal circumstances but as you can see if you started at the beginning of the thread we have some date restrictions and want to include one name course, Brabazon in this case, if possible.

D

Deleted member 17920

What are your views on the Castle Course greens? They seem to get marmite responses in reviews.
The Castle course is excellent and I thought the greens were fine, yes they have undulations but nothing like the drama that had been posted on here.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I don't understand the moaning but in fairness I never played it before they calmed them down. The greens are big so if you're putting over, across or through tiers it means you've missed the pin position by quite a lot. It is a tough course but there's nothing terribly unfair about it. It's got some properly fantastic holes and some stunning views.

My biggest issue with it is that I've not played it nearly as much as I'd like because we have very few competitions on it. :)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Where does the term Shoulder Season come from? Never heard of it before.

Think it’s an American phrase, it means the period (generally a couple of weeks) between the peak and the off-peak season. Sort of like folk here going abroad late June / early July before the school holidays.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO if your working on a budget and don't want to travel too far then go to Woodhall Spa. The Hotchkin is still one of my favorite courses and the Bracken is good course too. Not going to be too expensive, some good hotels in the town next to the course and some good food and drink. Drop a message to a certain forumer and he might be able you sort out a little deal or at least advise which hotel is the best deal.

I can see where your coming from regarding price of playing one of the open courses, that can get stupid when paying for 2 and hotels, food and drink with another round too. I wouldn't go to St Andrews if your not playing the Old Course, that's the reason you go there. It's like taking him to a steak house for his birthday dinner and getting him the grilled chicken.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yourgolftravel have a deal on in St. Andrews, one night at the fairmont hotel and one round at either of the courses there like you wanted and a round at the old course. £289.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, bit of a turn up. I was talking to my son about the advice given on here 're. St Andrews and my wife asked what the price difference was between playing there and at one of the prestige courses. When I told her she told me just to go for it 😵😵.

Somewhat agog my son and I went into overdrive and put a plan together. The upshot being we are now going to Turnbery, playing one round at the Robert the Bruce and one at The Ailsa. Huba huba.

Two worries, how to pay for food and drinks there, gulp, and what state will the course be in after 40 odd forum hackers have chewed it up 😂😱.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure on dates but Your Golf Travel are advertising 1 night B&B, 1 round on Ailsa and 1 round on King Robert the Bruce for £229.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure on dates but Your Golf Travel are advertising 1 night B&B, 1 round on Ailsa and 1 round on King Robert the Bruce for £229.

It's all date relevant. I've booked with Golf Breaks but they are the same pricewise as Your Golf Travel. Thanks for pointing this out but I've been all over this. The keyboard has taken some hammer 😵

In effect, you don't get massive bargains at any major course. Hopefully it will be worth it.

D

Deleted member 21258

The upshot being we are now going to Turnbery, playing one round at the Robert the Bruce and one at The Ailsa. Huba huba..

Great result, hope you and your son really enjoy it and the weather is kind !

The prices in turnberry hotel are eye watering, when I looks at the prices for food. Take some pot noodle with you.:D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great result, hope you and your son really enjoy it and the weather is kind !

The prices in turnberry hotel are eye watering, when I looks at the prices for food. Take some pot noodle with you.:D

You're not kidding there. I've already searched out a nearby pub for our evening meal. I will have to suck it up and take the pain in some areas as you want a drink in the clubhouse after the round, maybe a coffee beforehand and you know your eyes are going to be taken out. However, sitting in sumptuous surroundings is part of the deal of going to these types of places. (I will be taking our own supply of KitKat Chunky's and water for both rounds though. Donald isn't getting me there :ears:)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when did you book for?

i noticed you could get a deal direct up until end of March i think it was for DB&B and a round on one or both courses.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mid April. My hands were tied date wise to April. March would have been much cheaper but not to be. Breakfast is included, one night in the main hotel, breakfast and a round on each course, so I intend filling my boots there :D. Do you think they will mind if I take my own pork scratchings in to have with my post round lemonade?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mid April. My hands were tied date wise to April. March would have been much cheaper but not to be. Breakfast is included, one night in the main hotel, breakfast and a round on each course, so I intend filling my boots there :D. Do you think they will mind if I take my own pork scratchings in to have with my post round lemonade?

No, last time i was there (before Trump) there was a sort of clubhouse/shop/ reception, though i can't remember if there was a bar Restaurant, though i can't imagine there wouldn't be.

the wife got me a 4 ball there for Christmas so will be going in the summer, will be getting lunch brought for me by who ever i take with me;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know the layout of the place. Is the hotel in effect the clubhouse or is there an 19th hole type of clubhouse for golfers before and after a round that is separate to the hotel? My experience of hotel / golf places, not high end like this to be fair, is that there is usually a separate set up for the golfers, something a little more relaxed.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't know the layout of the place. Is the hotel in effect the clubhouse or is there an 19th hole type of clubhouse for golfers before and after a round that is separate to the hotel? My experience of hotel / golf places, not high end like this to be fair, is that there is usually a separate set up for the golfers, something a little more relaxed.

The hotel is about a forum wedge flick behind the "Clubhouse" which has a locker room shop etc, last time i was there. Hotel is set back on a ridge looking down on the course and clubhouse.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hotel is a totally separate building up on the hill.

Clubhouse overlooking the course.