Golf Balls - Your Top Three

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Really liked reading the mygolfspy results.

My top 3 are:

Pro V1x
TP5x
Z-Star

Prefer the harder feeling golf ball and find that those listed perform best for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really liked reading the mygolfspy results.

My top 3 are:

Pro V1x
TP5x
Z-Star

Prefer the harder feeling golf ball and find that those listed perform best for me.
Eye-opening but also annoying as I'm rethinking my ball again now when I was settled before. :ROFLMAO: I like the Bridgestone RX, but that shows it dead last in spin numbers, so come summer I think I'll be better off switching as our greens are rapid and all slope off to one side. The Chrome Soft seems to be just as long but higher spinning, and the exact same compression so should be an easy switch.

sunshine

Visit site

Great share - well done to mygolfspy (y)
I found it really interesting reading (well it distracted me from work anyway :LOL:).

The key factor is that the testing is necessarily done with a robot. In real life we all make inconsistent contact to varying degrees, and external factors such as wind, temperature, pressure, luck of the bounce have a far greater impact on the outcome.

In the testing conditions in the US desert, the Bridgestone Tour BXS flew 250 yards with the medium swing speed driver, but the BRXS only flew 243 yards. But maybe in typical British conditions - cool, damp, breezy - there is a massive drop off with the BXS whereas the BRXS is less affected. Maybe a BXS loses 20% distance with a slice and the BRXS only loses 10%. There are so many variables to add in. I don't know the answers, I just think you can't extrapolate the test results to your own game.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I found it really interesting reading (well it distracted me from work anyway :LOL:).

The key factor is that the testing is necessarily done with a robot. In real life we all make inconsistent contact to varying degrees, and external factors such as wind, temperature, pressure, luck of the bounce have a far greater impact on the outcome.

In the testing conditions in the US desert, the Bridgestone Tour BXS flew 250 yards with the medium swing speed driver, but the BRXS only flew 243 yards. But maybe in typical British conditions - cool, damp, breezy - there is a massive drop off with the BXS whereas the BRXS is less affected. Maybe a BXS loses 20% distance with a slice and the BRXS only loses 10%. There are so many variables to add in. I don't know the answers, I just think you can't extrapolate the test results to your own game.
Wonder if anyone done anyball tests in UK conditions, preferably less than 20 deg

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I have to say this thread is incredibly revealing. It seems a lot of posters are misinformed and accidentally playing balls that should perform as polar opposites, but see the performance so similar they think the balls are of similar design?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I like the fact they do it at different speeds though. Their slow speed (85) is pretty close to my speed so I can make judgements based on those numbers. It confuses me with the Bridgestone balls though. They advertise the RX (which I've been using) & RXS as being for slow swings (under 105 they say) - and the X & XS as being for over 105. But in the tests for slower swings the X & XS seem to do better. RX & RXS are only really on top for iron distance. So this is partly why my head is being turned to Chrome Soft now which seems to be more consistent across the numbers.

sunshine

Visit site
I like the fact they do it at different speeds though. Their slow speed (85) is pretty close to my speed so I can make judgements based on those numbers. It confuses me with the Bridgestone balls though. They advertise the RX (which I've been using) & RXS as being for slow swings (under 105 they say) - and the X & XS as being for over 105. But in the tests for slower swings the X & XS seem to do better. RX & RXS are only really on top for iron distance. So this is partly why my head is being turned to Chrome Soft now which seems to be more consistent across the numbers.

Even with a slow swing speed it's still a perfect strike with a robot. A real life swing for a handicap golfer is more of a glancing blow, cutting across the ball. Maybe the lower spin from the RXS means it doesn't slice so much and therefore travels further than the XS. Maybe cutting across an XS doesn't compress the core sufficiently to generate the distance that the robot could achieve with a perfect swing, whereas the soft outer layer of the RXS is responsive enough to react. I don't think you can use the test results to choose your ball.

D

Deleted member 3432

I think it is just a case of Bridgestone using a different marking strategy. The BX & BXS are very similar to the Titleist Pro V1 & V1X yet Titleist make no mention of aiming at a particular swing speed and these balls are played by all manor of golfers.

If Bridgestone made bigger play of this been the ball of choice of Tiger Woods and BDS every man and his dog would be using them regardless of swing speed.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Even with a slow swing speed it's still a perfect strike with a robot. A real life swing for a handicap golfer is more of a glancing blow, cutting across the ball. Maybe the lower spin from the RXS means it doesn't slice so much and therefore travels further than the XS. Maybe cutting across an XS doesn't compress the core sufficiently to generate the distance that the robot could achieve with a perfect swing, whereas the soft outer layer of the RXS is responsive enough to react. I don't think you can use the test results to choose your ball.
OK, how would you choose then? Those tests are incredibly comprehensive, yes from centre of the club strikes, but if you're a big slicer or hooker you should know to avoid high spin, and if you're studying this in depth enough then you'll have the sense to also factor in your own game.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My balls of choice?

Callaway Chrome Soft
Titleist ADX
Srixon AD333

The best 3 condition balls out of 5 I found this morning.

(until the next round);)

sunshine

Visit site
OK, how would you choose then? Those tests are incredibly comprehensive, yes from centre of the club strikes, but if you're a big slicer or hooker you should know to avoid high spin, and if you're studying this in depth enough then you'll have the sense to also factor in your own game.

By trying out different balls yourself. I'm not dismissing the work mygolfspy have carried out, I just think there are too many variables in real life.

The bit in bold is key. Too much spin and you lose distance due to quality of strike, too little spin and the ball drops out of the sky. But finding the optimum is about a lot more than just swing speed.

I think the data shows me that there is not much difference between Pro V1X, BX, TP5X, Z Star XV, Chrome Soft X. The type of ball is more important than the brand.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought some Honma TW X 3 piece balls from Clubhouse Golf at just under £20 a dozen mainly with a view to using during the rest of winter and into spring. Took a few out today and they felt really good. Very much , for me, a feel similar to the Taylormade TP5's. I may order a few extra boxes for summer use too as they were awesome off the driver!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Found one of these at the weekend. Was very impressed https://mizunogolf.com/uk/balls/rb-tour/

Not sure Mizuno golf balls are that well known in the ball market so hard to know if many club golfers will have had the opportunity to try them and see if they suit
From memory of reading it yesterday, I don't think Mizuno did very well in the My Golf Spy tests.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
From memory of reading it yesterday, I don't think Mizuno did very well in the My Golf Spy tests.
It's more a question of what you're looking for.
Mizuno balls spin...a lot
If you don't put much spin on the ball so need to up that number to get the flight characteristics you need then changing to a spinny ball is the cheapest, and arguably easiest, way to do that, especially if changing loft isn't viable.
If you put masses of spin on the ball and need to take some off then using a Mizuno ball isn't the answer.
Doesn't mean they did "badly" they're just for a different golfer than, say, the AVX which probably cuts the spin in half compared to the RB Tour.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
By trying out different balls yourself. I'm not dismissing the work mygolfspy have carried out, I just think there are too many variables in real life.

The bit in bold is key. Too much spin and you lose distance due to quality of strike, too little spin and the ball drops out of the sky. But finding the optimum is about a lot more than just swing speed.

I think the data shows me that there is not much difference between Pro V1X, BX, TP5X, Z Star XV, Chrome Soft X. The type of ball is more important than the brand.

True, but BX, TP5X, Z star XV, are the low spinning version, and V1X and Chrome soft are the high spinning versions?! So if tgeres not much difference between them, where are you likely to find any difference?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
By trying out different balls yourself. I'm not dismissing the work mygolfspy have carried out,
Well obviously, and this gives you a starting point to narrow down the choices, or are you suggesting everyone buys 50 sleeves of different balls? We literally narrow our search ourselves by looking for a tour ball, or a distance ball, or a soft ball, this further helps with that, and if you don't like the one you've chosen, try something else. I never buy Pro V's because they always seem short to me, and that no doubt is down to the indian not the arrow.

And yes you did dismiss it "I don't think you can use the test results to choose your ball". Sure you can't "only" use it, but it's a great starting point for anyone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well obviously, and this gives you a starting point to narrow down the choices, or are you suggesting everyone buys 50 sleeves of different balls? We literally narrow our search ourselves by looking for a tour ball, or a distance ball, or a soft ball, this further helps with that, and if you don't like the one you've chosen, try something else. I never buy Pro V's because they always seem short to me, and that no doubt is down to the indian not the arrow.

And yes you did dismiss it "I don't think you can use the test results to choose your ball". Sure you can't "only" use it, but it's a great starting point for anyone.
Agree with this really. As you say, buying a sleeve of ten different balls you want to try is a bit much I think. You just have to get lucky and hope you find one. :LOL: I did find two Chrome Softs recently and used them, found them pretty good, but now that I've seen the numbers from the testing I think they'll be a good fit for me as well.

Same as you, I never got on with ProV1, they never seemed that long for me (swing probably too slow to get the best out of them), and too spinny, I seemed to slice them more with the driver. And above all else there wasn't much point paying £5-10 more per box for a ball I get nothing extra from.