Golf Balls - Your Top Three

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. Callaway - I feel they suit my game best. It doesn't seems to matter which model they all perform great . Although Warbirds are a bit hard, but don't spin so use in the winter.
2. Srixon. Lovely to hit. Really nice feel to them when you strike them well. Again, all models are good. Use the Distance for winter.
3. Wilson. Just the DX 2 or 3. Again lovely to hit and they feel great off the face. Also I like the shiney look to them.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
1. Callaway - I feel they suit my game best. It doesn't seems to matter which model they all perform great . Although Warbirds are a bit hard, but don't spin so use in the winter.
2. Srixon. Lovely to hit. Really nice feel to them when you strike them well. Again, all models are good. Use the Distance for winter.
3. Wilson. Just the DX 2 or 3. Again lovely to hit and they feel great off the face. Also I like the shiney look to them.
You’ve never seen that pic of inside a call away then?

AVX, pro v1 and pro v1x for me. Any Srixon during the colder, wetter months.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Using the avx at the monent but have pro v1’s and x’s in my bag as well

I’m still a massive fan of the snell balls but they sell out quickly

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I got fitted for balls a while ago and I got told - Pro V1, Chrome Soft, TP5 and Z Star. I just can't justify the price tag. So I end using Supersoft/AD333 Tour, Tru Soft balls.

If buying balls wasn't an issue my top 3 would look like -
  1. TP5 PIX
  2. Chrome Soft Tru Vis
  3. Pro V1 (Only in 3rd as I like the above's colour schemes)

TigerBear

Visit site
When medalling Pro V1x.
When gaming Top flite brick.
When bouncing gaming, any random rock from the car park.

Will always use / stock up on the Pro V1 x as I like high spin, high flight. After that I like the similar feel of the TP5x. PP of mine bought the tiger Bridgestone balls. Tried that and liked that, so hat would come in 3rd for me.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Pro Vs for me, but I rarely buy them new and usually just get some mint condition ones that a bloke sells me 50 of for 25 quid. He collects them from the lytham courses every couple of weeks and have generally just been sprayed about on corporate days it seems, so are generally unmarked.

I did buy a box of Bridgestone BXS balls just to try as they were rated for my swing speed and I'd heard they were decent. I really rated them tbh and if I could get them cheaper I'd use them much more often.

Then it would be srixon ad333 for the winter, although ironically I usually buy these new so they generally end up costing more than the pro vs. Maybe I need to rethink that!

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When medalling Pro V1x.
When gaming Top flite brick.
When bouncing gaming, any random rock from the car park.

Will always use / stock up on the Pro V1 x as I like high spin, high flight. After that I like the similar feel of the TP5x. PP of mine bought the tiger Bridgestone balls. Tried that and liked that, so hat would come in 3rd for me.
What language is this please?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1 - if money was no object, titleist tour soft. I love the feel and they seem to spring off the face. I save up comp winnings and buy them from the pro shop.

2 - Taylormade soft response. I bought a box of these to test if they’re any good in comparison to the tour softs, and they’re a decent cheaper alternative for me.

3 - srixon z stars. They feel similar to the tour softs for me, nice and springy. Bit pricey though and so I’ll probably never buy any again.

I find loads of pro v1s, but just can’t get on with them, sacrilege I know but I Chuck them in my bag and use them when I’m desperate or don’t want to lose a favoured ball. Don’t know what it is about them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite difficult to rank as different balls can be good for different reasons, but I'll give it a go.

1. Bridgestone RX - my main ball of choice now, I find them really long for me off the tee, a decent amount of spin on the green, plus for a premium ball they are generally cheaper than the top Titleist balls and so on.
2. Titleist Velocity - I used to play these when they were £20 a box, again they were pretty long and straight, but lacked the spin that the Bridgestone has. Would still be a good winter ball, although they've gone up to £25 these days so not even that much cheaper than the Bridgestone really. ?
3. It's actually impossible for me to say as I haven't stuck with another ball for any great length of time. I hit a found Callaway ChromeSoft recently that felt pretty close to my usual RX, but that was only for like 9 holes so not much to go on.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
This year have enjoyed the AD333 Tour which has been discontinued and so now planning on getting a bundle of Q Star Tour which seem to be the equivalent

Otherwise the usual heroes - ProV1 and TaylorMade TP5. Would like to do a Bridgestone fitting of sorts as feel like I'm missing out due to a lack of knowledge with them

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This year have enjoyed the AD333 Tour which has been discontinued and so now planning on getting a bundle of Q Star Tour which seem to be the equivalent

Otherwise the usual heroes - ProV1 and TaylorMade TP5. Would like to do a Bridgestone fitting of sorts as feel like I'm missing out due to a lack of knowledge with them
Originally I was confused because of the generic similarity of the names on their four premium ones. But ultimately the B X and B XS are for faster swings, the S version is just softer. And the B RX and B RXS are for slower swings, and again the S is a softer version. So the first criteria is whether your swing is fast or slow (I think 105mph is the dividing line they use, I was miles under that ?), and the second is whether you prefer a softer ball or a firmer, possibly slightly longer one.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
1) Whatever is cheap but not a rock.
2) Whatever I find that isn't a rock or a Commando.
3) Whatever from the above I don't lose after the first few tee shots.

I don't really fall into the category of wanting a premium ball or wanting extra spin etc, I'm a mid handicapper so I can't generate the amount of jizz that merits buying an expensive ball.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
1. A ball that lasts the whole round without getting lost.
2. A nearly new Pro V1 that I've found whilst looking for a ball I've lost that won't last the whole round.
3. The one that hits the trees but still bounces out to the fairway.

Other than that, it's a Snell MTB-X, a Prov V, or Bridgestone RX.... but honestly, I'm so inconsistent that it could be anything, 'expensive' balls come out depending on current confidence or type of event. On Saturday it was a Callaway Chromesoft for 18 holes; mid week it was an older Pro V1 (lost), then a Srixon Distance (lost!), then a AD333 to the end. Winter ball will basically be anything as plugged balls (hard to find!), leaves (hard to find), longer wet rough (hard to find!) mean it's not worth playing anything 'expensive' as they can be lost in the fairway.