Golf balls for beginners/very high handicappers

sunshine

Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Imagine walking round a golf course in the dark collecting manky old top flites. Then imagine posting a video of it on youtube for the world to ignore. Then imagine publicising your video on golf forums to encourage people to witness your boring life. There's a mockumentary in here somewhere, the lack of self-awareness is staggering.

The video I was commenting on has been removed. I guess promoting your own youtube channel is against forum rules. Hilarious video of some losers stumbling around a golf course at night - I couldn't work out if it was a spoof or genuine.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The video I was commenting on has been removed. I guess promoting your own youtube channel is against forum rules. Hilarious video of some losers stumbling around a golf course at night - I couldn't work out if it was a spoof or genuine.
I think on 'Golf Mates' channel he did something like that after buying a UV light. So perhaps you saw someone's copycat attempt at that. I'm in the Golf Mates Facebook group and lots of people were buying their own UV lights after that. I thought it was daft, unless you managed to find enough half decent ones that you could sell I suppose.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think on 'Golf Mates' channel he did something like that after buying a UV light. So perhaps you saw someone's copycat attempt at that. I'm in the Golf Mates Facebook group and lots of people were buying their own UV lights after that. I thought it was daft, unless you managed to find enough half decent ones that you could sell I suppose.
i know a guy up at Tain the has the UV light thing and he swears buy it, goes out on Tain and Dornoch and would get hundreds of Prov1, slim picking this year i'd imagine

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
i know a guy up at Tain the has the UV light thing and he swears buy it, goes out on Tain and Dornoch and would get hundreds of Prov1, slim picking this year i'd imagine

I am that guy who goes out with a UV light!

Live next door to the course, me and the old man go out to the common ball collection areas on a few holes and get HUNDREDS of balls.

Old man cleans them up and sells them. We get all sorts of balls but mostly what our club shop are selling (Srixon, Wilson Staff, Taylormade) I take all the Wilson Staffs for myself.

On my work computer at the moment, but Ill upload a photo shortly of one nights haul!

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Live next door to the course, me and the old man go out to the common ball collection areas on a few holes and get HUNDREDS of balls.

Old man cleans them up and sells them. We get all sorts of balls but mostly what our club shop are selling (Srixon, Wilson Staff, Taylormade) I take all the Wilson Staffs for myself.

On my work computer at the moment, but Ill upload a photo shortly of one nights haul!
i had a dog that would find balls very easy, his best haul was 46 brand new Prov1s on the left of the 6th at Royal Dornoch, alas he died 3 years ago, his pic is my avatar

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

On my work computer at the moment, but Ill upload a photo shortly of one nights haul![/QU

Do you have the clubs permission? If not it is a bit silly advertising your stealing golf balls.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What’s the verdict?

I’m still a very high handicapper (aiming to get under 100 still on rounds) and say I’d lose on average less than 1 Ball a round

What is best to do? Buy new cheap balls (srixon distance seem good value), buy good new balls for slightly more money (srixon ad333) or buy very good balls as lake balls recycled balls?
Yep! Those are the options!
Srixon Distance can be picked up for bargain prices occasionally (about 7 or 8 quid a dozen) and are perfectly fine winter (or even summer!) balls. Likewise Lake Balls, but they are pretty rare under Covid Lockdown restrictions!

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sentence was quashed a week after. And it was diving, as it was contracted out to another business. Walking in the trees is not illegal. At all.

If you read the article according to different newspapers
It is the sentence that was quashed as being to severe for the crime but the conviction remained.

Lord Justice Potter told Mr Collinson that he had broken the law even though the sentence he had been given was " disproportionate". The judge added: "We don't regard the offence as trivial, and we don't regard it as simply a more ambitious and organised version of going, with or without a dog, to a golf course for walk and collecting balls."

He said Mr Collinson had been caught at the same golf course last year carrying 12,000 golf balls, and was also fined £60 in 1994 for theft of golf balls.

It has been established in the high court for many years that the balls belong to the golf course and taking them in the sort of manner that the poster said is still considered stealing.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
A old lady by me had her house broken into the other day. She had £500 stolen and was shoved on the floor where she lay all day. The perp got a suspended sentence and a community order!!!!
I feel quite confident popping over a fence to get some balls

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yes
All balls abandoned after a search on a golf course are the property of the golf course, There have been prosecutions for doing what
Bdill93 is doing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1953885.stm

Chill out mate. You've assumed before allowing me to respond.

I have permission of the owner. Blokes a legend who cares not one bit. He also lets a couple members go rabbit shooting over the course too.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

I have permission of the owner. Blokes a legend who cares not one bit. He also lets a couple members go rabbit shooting over the course too.

Also, the article from 2002 is pure class :ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My first question was and comment was

"Do you have the clubs permission? If not it is a bit silly advertising your stealing golf balls."

My other comments were not aimed at you but others who do not believe it to be theft without an owners permission.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
If you read the article according to different newspapers
It is the sentence that was quashed as being to severe for the crime but the conviction remained.

Lord Justice Potter told Mr Collinson that he had broken the law even though the sentence he had been given was " disproportionate". The judge added: "We don't regard the offence as trivial, and we don't regard it as simply a more ambitious and organised version of going, with or without a dog, to a golf course for walk and collecting balls."

He said Mr Collinson had been caught at the same golf course last year carrying 12,000 golf balls, and was also fined £60 in 1994 for theft of golf balls.

It has been established in the high court for many years that the balls belong to the golf course and taking them in the sort of manner that the poster said is still considered stealing.

Ok I've done more reading. The diving was the issue, a company was contracted to dive on that course.

No one has been charged for walking and finding golf balls.