Golf balls for beginners/very high handicappers

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s a myth that lake balls are problematic. This has been proven many times including recently by Rick shiels
From personal experience the people that don't trust lake balls are the same people that hack two in a row oob whilst blaming it on their "spiny" shaft

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It’s a myth that lake balls are problematic. This has been proven many times including recently by Rick shiels
I'd say that not ALL lake balls are problematic but you can't really say for certain that some aren't. And golf is a mental game as much as anything else and I, personally, don't feel comfortable in that uncertainty. If people want to use lake balls, then that's up to them. For me, I don't and wouldn't recommend something I wouldn't use.
Oh, and I don't "hack two in a row oob whilst blaming it on their "spiny" shaft". If I do that, I know it's purely my fault based on a bad swing.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's a myth. I have seen reports that lake balls are inconsistent in quality. You might get a batch that are all good, you might get a batch where 2 or 3 are duds. In my opinion, as I said earlier in the thread, if you're losing 5 or 6 balls a round then go for it as it's the cheaper option, if you're not losing that many then I don't think it's worth the gamble of inconsistent quality when there are enough really cheap balls out there as mentioned by everyone in these posts, such as the Inesis balls, Slazenger, Srixon Distance etc. Then when you hit a shot that's 20 yards short you won't have the excuse of wondering 'was it the ball?'

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's a myth. I have seen reports that lake balls are inconsistent in quality. You might get a batch that are all good, you might get a batch where 2 or 3 are duds. In my opinion, as I said earlier in the thread, if you're losing 5 or 6 balls a round then go for it as it's the cheaper option, if you're not losing that many then I don't think it's worth the gamble of inconsistent quality when there are enough really cheap balls out there as mentioned by everyone in these posts, such as the Inesis balls, Slazenger, Srixon Distance etc. Then when you hit a shot that's 20 yards short you won't have the excuse of wondering 'was it the ball?'
If you use that same logic, do you ever use balls that you find or do you always leave them or pass them on to someone else? That ball could be a lake ball yet I suspect that you will use it, as will 99% of other golfers, and not think anything of it.

I don't give a hoot if people use lake balls or not, I do, but there seems to be quite an anti movement based on gut feeling alone. If people choose to use them then that is a choice, same as some preferring distance balls over soft, Callaway over Titleist.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you use that same logic, do you ever use balls that you find or do you always leave them or pass them on to someone else? That ball could be a lake ball yet I suspect that you will use it, as will 99% of other golfers, and not think anything of it.

I don't give a hoot if people use lake balls or not, I do, but there seems to be quite an anti movement based on gut feeling alone. If people choose to use them then that is a choice, same as some preferring distance balls over soft, Callaway over Titleist.
I generally don't to be honest. If it's a ball I would typically use I throw it in the bag to hit as a provisional, or chuck it in the 'practise bag' at home which I never actually use for any practise. :LOL: 90% of the time I don't bother picking up balls that I find because I don't use them so it's pointless.

Of course it's a choice - that choice is that you are happy to compromise on consistent quality in order to save money. ?‍♂️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I generally don't to be honest. If it's a ball I would typically use I throw it in the bag to hit as a provisional, or chuck it in the 'practise bag' at home which I never actually use for any practise. :LOL: 90% of the time I don't bother picking up balls that I find because I don't use them so it's pointless.

Of course it's a choice - that choice is that you are happy to compromise on consistent quality in order to save money. ?‍♂️
I've been using predominantly lake balls for around 12 years now and have yet to see a compromise on quality, other than ones that have been used a little more. I have a store of new balls for away trips but don't feel an urge to keep buying them all of the time.

You are aware of the number of keyboards that have just been sprayed with tea and coffee after reading your last sentence. You do have a reputation on here for .............keen economics :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been using predominantly lake balls for around 12 years now and have yet to see a compromise on quality, other than ones that have been used a little more. I have a store of new balls for away trips but don't feel an urge to keep buying them all of the time.

You are aware of the number of keyboards that have just been sprayed with tea and coffee after reading your last sentence. You do have a reputation on here for .............keen economics :LOL:
It's not like I'm buying ProV1s. I know if I used lake balls, whenever I hit one short I'd be thinking was it me or the ball? I don't want that excuse!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not like I'm buying ProV1s. I know if I used lake balls, whenever I hit one short I'd be thinking was it me or the ball? I don't want that excuse!
But I know from the strike if it's its going to be short or not. I use lake balls and I have never flushed a shot for it to come up short. I always hit the money with a good strike (be it a rare occasion I may add)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But I know from the strike if it's its going to be short or not. I use lake balls and I have never flushed a shot for it to come up short. I always hit the money with a good strike (be it a rare occasion I may add)
I'm just saying I know what I'm like. I'd rather use a ball that I'm confident will be consistent or I'll just use it as an excuse. :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Imagine walking round a golf course in the dark collecting manky old top flites. Then imagine posting a video of it on youtube for the world to ignore. Then imagine publicising your video on golf forums to encourage people to witness your boring life. There's a mockumentary in here somewhere, the lack of self-awareness is staggering.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Imagine walking round a golf course in the dark collecting manky old top flites. Then imagine posting a video of it on youtube for the world to ignore. Then imagine publicising your video on golf forums to encourage people to witness your boring life. There's a mockumentary in here somewhere, the lack of self-awareness is staggering.
Is that homers channel ?