Golf ball Compression ratings.

Springveldt

Visit site
A lot of my friends play with these but the word ‘distance’ instantly puts me off.

I imagine the firmness of it is probably the opposite of what I’m looking for to improve my short game?

Might just stick with these RBZ’s for the rest of the summer and see how I get on.
If you have a low launch like you say below then I'd imagine you will have issues trying to stop any of these balls on the green. It the cover of the ball that makes most of the difference, not the compression. A really firm ball like the V1X, Bridgestone Tour BX etc will all produce more spin than softer balls due to their construction. They have a soft outer cover (Urethane) then a hard second material then the core. That contrast of soft then hard allows wedges to generate more spin.

A really firm ball without a urethane cover will produce much less spin since the wedge can't "bite" into the cover it doesn't generate as much friction.

The magic of the expensive balls is that not only do they generate a lot of spin off of wedges but they also produce low spin off the driver so you get the best of both worlds.

Prov1x’s were recommended to me on here because of my lower launch angle and found it hard to hold greens. Maybe I looked too much into it but it’s all trail and error at this stage.
Probably just need a few lessons
If you need something with a ton of spin then the Kirkland balls might be good for you and they are cheap as chips. They have a ridiculous amount of spin from all the reviews I've seen. Same with the Inesis Tour 900 from Decathlon although that is more expensive.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Nice one fellas ☝

I’m going to go back to the drawing board and reset.

Spin is something I looked into but I’m just not at that level yet. Improving my swing / overall technique seems to be something I need to prioritise first and foremost. Lots of work to do.

Springveldt

Visit site
Nice one fellas ☝

I’m going to go back to the drawing board and reset.

Spin is something I looked into but I’m just not at that level yet. Improving my swing / overall technique seems to be something I need to prioritise first and foremost. Lots of work to do.
Whatever you decide I'd recommend that you play with the same ball for a few rounds at least before deciding then stick to that ball for the season. Well at least the same construction. I'll only play Urethane covered ball now but I don't really notice the difference between an AVX, Tour Response or Bridgestone BRX since they are essentially the same construction. I know they will still stop on the green but are a few yards longer off the irons than a Pro v1, TP5 or Tour BX for me.

This season I'm using the Honma TW-X which feels and performs just like a Pro v1 for me.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Personally I avoid Titleist balls nowadays on grounds of cost, as I just feel every Titleist ball is priced £5-10 more than it's equivalents, due to the sheer number of tour players they're paying to sponsor.
Presumably you mean 'per dozen'! ;)
And you've got it the wrong way around....Titleist pay players to play their ball in order to be able to sell more at higher price. Player sponsorship is relatively tiddly. In 2021 Titleist sold $667M worth of golf balls. Balls are the biggest of the 4 areas of their business - the others being Clubs, Apparel and Footwear.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And you've got it the wrong way around....Titleist pay players to play their ball in order to be able to sell more at higher price. Player sponsorship is relatively tiddly. In 2021 Titleist sold $667M worth of golf balls.
Well yeah, I tend not to buy my golf balls one at a time, I don't know about you.

Whatever way you want to word it, you're paying more for the name. Not worth it.

RichA

Visit site
Thinking about the mechanics and physics I learned decades ago, I can't really see how anyone can recommend a golf ball to a club golfer. A grooved steel club face might connect with the ball at any variety of speeds, path and face angles, depending on the golfer.
Various combinations of high/low compression and hard/soft cover could amplify or reduce the good or the bad in any strike.
Personally, I've concluded it's trial and error until you find what works then avoiding the temptation to randomise what you pull out of the bag when you lose one.

I've ended up liking Srixon AD333 and Honma D1. Both quite hard but feel soft. Both bounce and roll a bit with driver and mid-irons but don't run away too badly with a lofted iron or wedge. AD333 are good value. D1 are comically cheap - £10 a dozen at AG.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
as I just feel every Titleist ball is priced £5-10 more than it's equivalents, due to the sheer number of tour players they're paying to sponsor.

Also (possibly these days) the Titleist is the most expensive ball of the lot because they were found guilty of infringing Bridgestone patents and settled on paying Bridgestone a fee for every ProV1 or X they sold. I do not know if that is still the case. Callaway is rumoured to have bought Spalding for the same simple reason to sue for patents Spalding had with the Strata ball.

sunshine

Visit site
And you've got it the wrong way around....Titleist pay players to play their ball in order to be able to sell more at higher price. Player sponsorship is relatively tiddly. In 2021 Titleist sold $667M worth of golf balls. Balls are the biggest of the 4 areas of their business - the others being Clubs, Apparel and Footwear.

Thank you captain obvious! I’m so glad you are here to rescue me.