Balls

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yup another balls thread.

Dont know if I have mentioned it but up until the last week my game, particularly my driving has been rammel. Anyway after having a lesson. I have been hitting it a lot better. However it has coincided with me playing with a ball I have never hit before last week. A taylormade soft response. Quite frankly for me it feels gorgeous. Driving, irons, short game and putting. I don’t even know how the ball ended up in me bag. But suffice to say, it looks like staying in me bag for the foreseeable future.
So how did your come across your preferences ball. Fitting, trial and error or what.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Last ball was price, and the Taylormade V3 soft which was £15.99 a dozen and what I thought was a pretty good ball for my swing. Then found a Titleist AVX and discovered far less spin is better for my pretty poor swing. Far fewer slices with driver, 3 wood, hybrid and long irons and very happy. Still have a dozen V3s for when I run out of AVXs. Huge difference in price, but a difference in performance too... I think.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Time of the year for me to get going with the 2023 ProV1 now, as it usually takes a couple of months to get dialled in from the previous years model. Leave it too late and it can by July before you have your wedges talking. This years is supposed to be quite a jump, so still toying with the idea of moving to the AVX. I know I am going to have to make that jump one of these days, but have been putting it off, fearing it could take a full season to get to grips with it. So thinking one more year gaming ProV1. Left dash just swallow dives on me, and just never got on with the ProV1x. Probably a launch angle thing like for so many.

Bratty

Visit site
Time of the year for me to get going with the 2023 ProV1 now, as it usually takes a couple of months to get dialled in from the previous years model. Leave it too late and it can by July before you have your wedges talking. This years is supposed to be quite a jump, so still toying with the idea of moving to the AVX. I know I am going to have to make that jump one of these days, but have been putting it off, fearing it could take a full season to get to grips with it. So thinking one more year gaming ProV1. Left dash just swallow dives on me, and just never got on with the ProV1x. Probably a launch angle thing like for so many.
Do you hit a higher or lower flighted ball as standard?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yup another balls thread.

Dont know if I have mentioned it but up until the last week my game, particularly my driving has been rammel. Anyway after having a lesson. I have been hitting it a lot better. However it has coincided with me playing with a ball I have never hit before last week. A taylormade soft response. Quite frankly for me it feels gorgeous. Driving, irons, short game and putting. I don’t even know how the ball ended up in me bag. But suffice to say, it looks like staying in me bag for the foreseeable future.
So how did your come across your preferences ball. Fitting, trial and error or what.
By finding them on the course and giving them a go. That is trial and error, but is there really another way other than trial and error?

A fitting process is also a trial end error process, in my view.

Nov 2021 I bought 24 Taylormade RBZ Speed for £24 in SportsDirect after finding one. That is my winter ball. Looks like I'll still be using them in Feb 2025.
Come April/May I'll be using Srixon Soft Feel - also fairly cheap. These work well with the wooden woods and vintage blades as well.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't play a single brand/type so just buy brands that appeal and if they sell a dozen for my budget.

So just now its a mix of Callaway supersoft, decathlons' inesis soft and mizuno jpx

Bratty

Visit site
I've just remembered I didn’t find the AVX, I was given a 2 test box at H4H at Blackmore by those lovely Titleist folk! Proved to be an inspired recommendation.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When last out walking past a newly remodelled but not yet returfed area I spotted a ball…it was a Dunlop 65 (number 7) in excellent condition. I think that it had probably been buried for a while but brought to surface by the rains washing the earth. I know it’s not worth anything to a collector but to this ancient golfer it is a nice little reminder of my early days…and so a nice ’pick up’ - though as it‘s a ‘large’ ball so maybe 40 yrs old and so not right back to the very start. And I might just try hitting it…🤔

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
When last out walking past a newly remodelled but not yet returfed area I spotted a ball…it was a Dunlop 65 (number 7) in excellent condition. I think that it had probably been buried for a while but brought to surface by the rains washing the earth. I know it’s not worth anything to a collector but to this ancient golfer it is a nice little reminder of my early days…and so a nice ’pick up’ - though as it‘s a ‘large’ ball so maybe 40 yrs old and so not right back to the very start. And I might just try hitting it…🤔

Let's hope someone else finds it in 40 years time after you hit it 😉😉

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If you can make it to one of our vintage meets this year, I'll give you a couple of these to play with.
Dunlop 65
Penfold Ace
Dunlop Warwick
Slazenger +
1_62 balls.jpg

D

Deleted member 15344

😂😂😂😂😂😂

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have 6 dozen Honma S and X balls waiting to be lost this year. For me they feel much like the Taylormade TP5 and just under £20 a dozen - a bargain for a 3 piece ball

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you can make it to one of our vintage meets this year, I'll give you a couple of these to play with.
Dunlop 65
Penfold Ace
Dunlop Warwick
Slazenger +
View attachment 46280
This gives me the same sort of feeling as I get when I open a box of Roses or Quality Street…👍😍

I think my Wilson Staff Fluid Feels and Macgregor Eye-o-matics would enjoy the hit.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Honma tw-x are my ball of choice, this was after loads of reviews and recommendations on here a year or 2 ago. I like them because they feel nice and perform well, plus they’re cheap as chips in comparison to their premium equivalents. Will be gutted when I run out!

I’ll also play any decent balls that I find.

Fabia999

Visit site
I found a yellow/black Truvis in the rough off the first tee at Beamish. It must have been lost after its first shot because it was pristine. Played amazing with it. I'm a short hitter but usually pretty straight so I had that ball for probably 6 months + until I eventually put in it a pond. I was half tempted to go in and get it. I've used them ever since. Not the longest ball off the tee but around the green they are superb.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Last ball was price, and the Taylormade V3 soft which was £15.99 a dozen and what I thought was a pretty good ball for my swing. Then found a Titleist AVX and discovered far less spin is better for my pretty poor swing. Far fewer slices with driver, 3 wood, hybrid and long irons and very happy. Still have a dozen V3s for when I run out of AVXs. Huge difference in price, but a difference in performance too... I think.

you can get the odd unbeleivable deal on the AVX though mate

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I found a yellow/black Truvis in the rough off the first tee at Beamish. It must have been lost after its first shot because it was pristine. Played amazing with it. I'm a short hitter but usually pretty straight so I had that ball for probably 6 months + until I eventually put in it a pond. I was half tempted to go in and get it. I've used them ever since. Not the longest ball off the tee but around the green they are superb.
What did you think of Beamish? I've never played it, never really thought about it, but it's within distance for me. Always interested to hear views on courses in the area I haven't played.