Focusing ahead of the ball

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Someone the other day advised me to try focusing half an inch or so ahead of the ball for irons off the fairway. It’s really helped my enjoyment, if not particularly my score. Chunking far fewer shots during the round, although still pulling a good few left, and feeling compression on some (although certainly not all) shots. I’ve had lessons in the past and will again soon, but no coach has ever advised me to do this.

I‘m a high handicapper, so I know this is no great eureka moment for good players, but it’s helped me. Having said that, it’s surprising how difficult it is to focus on a blade of grass when there’s a big white ball just behind it. My eyes don’t want to listen to my brain.

FELL75

Visit site
I'm with you on this. I wonder if it is designed to stop the lean/weight shifting ever so slightly onto the back leg hence the chunk/fat shot🤔

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A friend recently told me when we were out having a knock that he’d seen and was trying to take his address for drives with the club head 6” behind then ball…apparently Rahm does this. I tried it and topped it. Rubbish tip. Either that or I’m not like Jon Rahm.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A friend recently told me when we were out having a knock that he’d seen and was trying to take his address for drives with the club head 6” behind then ball…apparently Rahm does this. I tried it and topped it. Rubbish tip. Either that or I’m not like Jon Rahm.
Rahm said he does that when trying to hit a draw. If he addresses it slightly away from the ball it means his clubface is slightly more shut when it reaches impact, hence gives him a draw.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep, I saw this and tried it when I was massively struggling with driver. It really helped me and I still do it… until another issue develops of course!

As for the OP, I tend to focus on the middle or front of the ball to try and achieve the same thing. It’s definitely a thing, but doesn’t work for everyone, trial and error.

Springveldt

Visit site
I've always had my driver about 3 or 4 inches behind the ball, helps hit up on it. Since the ball is forward in the stance it feels like I'm pushing my hands forward if I address right behind the ball.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Set 3 balls up. One in your usual position, one 4 inches closer to your feet, one 4 inches further away from your feet. Looking at the middle ball, swing and hit the one closest to you. Then repeat, again looking at the middle ball swing and hit the one furthest away.
Now swing and hit at the middle ball, while focussing on it.
Useful drill to improve your strike.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My only bit of advice for all full shots is to finish up on the toe of your back foot, balanced and hold the position until the ball lands.
Watch the majority of players on tour and they all finished balanced.

Last edited:

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Funny you mention this... I've been doing this last couple of months with fantastic results, it has really helped me hit up on the ball.