Gokart v Powacaddy v Motocaddy

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
My missus wants an electric trolley and the Gokart seems the way she is going after reading owners' opinions online.

Any downsides/problems with them? or are either Powacaddy or Motocaddy better alternatives?

And for the Gokart is the automatic worth the extra?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having had both Motocaddy and Powacaddy then Powacaddy wins hands down for quality but the motocaddy was good too.

Gokart is known for the many people who comment on its great aftersales when there are issue. That says enough IMO, I want a good trolley not one they'll fix quick and send back without question.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having had both Motocaddy and Powacaddy then Powacaddy wins hands down for quality but the motocaddy was good too.

Gokart is known for the many people who comment on its great aftersales when there are issue. That says enough IMO, I want a good trolley not one they'll fix quick and send back without question.

I think thats a bit harsh - I know 2 people who have had GoKarts for a long time and the only problem they've had have been their own fault (e.g. they broke a part of it) the GoKarts are sound. I bought one 2nd hand recently and its great. Auto costs more than manual, but you can buy a manual one and upgrade it later which is pretty sweet.

It's tough to find the 'best' - not many people have had all 3 at once to compare them!

GoKart might not have all the bells and whistles (like auto-run for 50 yards etc) but for a solid trolley that does the job, you won't find one better I'd say. But I've only ever owned a GoKart!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think thats a bit harsh - I know 2 people who have had GoKarts for a long time and the only problem they've had have been their own fault (e.g. they broke a part of it) the GoKarts are sound. I bought one 2nd hand recently and its great. Auto costs more than manual, but you can buy a manual one and upgrade it later which is pretty sweet.

It's tough to find the 'best' - not many people have had all 3 at once to compare them!

GoKart might not have all the bells and whistles (like auto-run for 50 yards etc) but for a solid trolley that does the job, you won't find one better I'd say. But I've only ever owned a GoKart!

Can only call my opinion, if it's harsh then so be it.

I'm always wary when peoples first comment is their after care is great.

D

Deleted member 15344

Couple of my FC have had Powerkaddies and every one has at one point had to be sent back for repair - but motocaddy I believe own them now so the quality and build is better

Go Karts are good trollies as is the motocaddy - both solid and very well built

I just don't like the styling of the go kart

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a Powerkaddy for 5 years & it was slow, needed 4 wheel clutches replacing, collected mud & crap on its underside & went through 2 batteries..... found back-up support to be appalling so did everything myself. The GoKart I got has addressed all the fore mentioned issues as well as being properly designed (the alloy tubed ones, I'll swear were designed by a DIY man with a free week-end & a lot of spare tubes to play with)..... also there support services are outstanding..... a reassurance rather than a worry, I've found, & Im sure your wife will. They chased down a problem I had with the security of the umbrella holder.... of a minor nature but was taken seriously by them & corrected. I can't speak highly enough about the company & their product, but do get the Lithium battery as it's lightness will help he, as it's an intragal part of the trolley assembly each time you get it out.... also carries a 3 year warranty and does 36 holes no bother on its 2nd year after heavy winter use with their very easy running, easy cleaning, hedgehog wheels.
Top off the deal with a car-boot bag & a full rain cover..... I'll be getting their golf bag when I need a replacement from my Taylormade.
Oh... Get the auto model .... they're also currently looking into a KERs system which will send a little recharge to the battery when freewheeling or going downhill as this will extend battery life significantly as trolley batteries are, otherwise, just constantly just discharging.... not good for them. If it's like the way they up-graded their early trolleys to auto for just £50, then they'll be looking to do the same with the KERs...... It's a trolley for life :) Good luck.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Motocaddy I had was horrific build quality, had endless problems with it and as soon as post warrnty period all they were concerned about was charging top dollar for spare parts (which ended up being most of the trolley being replaced, especially the plastic joints)

Replaced it with a golfstream which has been excellent, far better build quality and way more stable, had first probs with it the other day when the gearbox appears to have a problem. Even though technically out of warranty it was collected first thing the next morning and being repaired asap for me

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Can only call my opinion, if it's harsh then so be it.

I'm always wary when peoples first comment is their after care is great.

I have been around here long enough to see that people have problems with all makes of trolleys. GoKart are no exception but, if I am to have a problem, and I have, but always my own fault, they have the best back up. I have seen members on here despair at the lack of back up from some well know names.

The last problem I had with my GoKart was a wheel smashed by another players ball and they sent me, within 2 days, all the bits needed to fix it free of charge when they could easily have made money on it

Yes, the automatic works really well in my opinion

Lollfred

Head Pro
Visit site

Strange quote .. especially as you have never owned one. Had my Go Kart (Auto) for over a year now and never had an issue, sales / after sales are top notch and they are a British company (dosent count for much with some). Previously had a Hill Billy, the Go Kart beats it hands down.

I looked at the Motocaddy M1 before buying the Go Kart and basically it seems like they copied the Go Kart design and charged more for it. I would choose the Go Kart ... but I'm biased :)

Just to add .. i have the 18 hole battery and it does 36 holes easily.

Last edited:

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Owned a powakaddy for 5 years, same battery for 5 years, only ever replaced clutch (pair I believe)

Now own Motocaddy, faultless, easy to put up/down too

Good and bad in every product, in any manufacturing process.
I've luckily had no issues with either trolley I've owned. :thup:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I can't comment on Powakaddy or Motocaddy as I've not owned either (although when I've borrowed a Motocaddy from the club (4 year old GoKart battery gave up on me, in the car park) I thought it was rather cumbersome in comparison to the GoKart, and the handle felt a bit wobbly.

My GoKart is great, and I've only had two problems in the entire time I've had it. One was where the battery connection to the trolley had fused slightly (think I misconnected it), so new battery cover kit sent out immediately, next day delivery, and all good). Second was in folding the handle, it had worn the cable out, so had to send it back for repair. They offered to fix it or upgrade it for a discounted price, and I went for the latter. Returned in a week.

Now, as I said, I've no experience of other manufacturers' repair times, but I do remember reading lots of threads about disinterest, very slow response times and even refusal from others. GoKart don't do this, on the odd occasion things go wrong.

I don't find much benefit from the automatic over the manual to be honest, so I would go for the manual.

D

Deleted member 15344

If people choose to ignore my opinion the it's fine, I'm basing it in what I read on here.

I can see what you are saying though - i wouldnt know what the motocaddy aftersales is like - never had to speak to them