GM King Of Kings Competition 2014- YOUR VIEWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
would be good if possible to go with JO original dream of a Lytham final, whether they would make a GM final and forum meet financially viable is another question!

Not a bad idea at all and plenty of good courses round there as a cheaper alternative if people want to have a meet on the same day - everyone could meet up afterwards.

You've got:

Fairhaven
St Annes Old Links
Green Drive

All within 5 mins and another 5 courses within 20 mins

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Final is the last of the worries currently, you need to work out how to split the country into 8 regions so that everyone has a relatively local option and then find a course in each region that people want to play at a reasonable price!

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Final is the last of the worries currently, you need to work out how to split the country into 8 regions so that everyone has a relatively local option and then find a course in each region that people want to play at a reasonable price!

Virtuocity has started gathering up co-ordinators for each region and the deets will be going on a separate thread.

Personally, I'm looking after the London region and so have been looking at clubs. Would be able to get a good deal at Ealing, around the £20 mark, which is pretty good for what are arguably some of the best greens in the country.

We can increase the price and go somewhere a bit snazzier but somewhere like Ealing / Northwood / Stanmore would work if people wanted to keep costs down. There are plenty of options around and could look at somewhere like Hadley Wood for maybe £40 ish per head if people preferred something a bit more upmarket.

The good thing about splitting into regions is that those people can decide for themselves where they wanna go :) Am just awaiting the all clear before starting a roll call for London as it would be good to get everything up and running at the same time. I'm confident that I'll be able to get 10/12 minimum for an event at the end of March/April which was £20 a head to play with an extra £10 thrown into the kitty to put towards overall prizes and national final.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ealing for £20 certainly a decent enough option imho :) Shame im probably just outside your region :(

Might open another can (bucket) of worms, but as long as one region doesn't end up with 30 and another with 5, if you're willing to play where the event is being hosted, I don't (personally) see a huge issue with coming over to play? Indeed, you're at more of an advantage playing in a smaller field so if you want to travel to play in a different region with potentially more players, don't see anything hugely wrong with it :)

As long as you only entered the comp in one region and obviously state this before you play any, I also don't see any issue with playing at a few regions giving you a chance to meet people - the more we get at each venue, the lower the costs PP will be.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it might need to be split into more regions than 8. We cant have Scotland as one region surely?

I think the format needs to be nailed down then entries before regions can be decided or any meets arranged imo.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it might need to be split into more regions than 8. We cant have Scotland as one region surely?

I think the format needs to be nailed down then entries before regions can be decided or any meets arranged imo.

Fair enough, maybe we have a final list drawn up for everybody who's interested in playing now that we've got the format sorted of regional qualifiers. I don't think we can have more than 10 regions but you're right, could end up with people ooop north travelling a long ol' way to play their 'regional' qualifier. That said, if everyone wanting to play in it from Scotland hypothetically all lived near Edinburgh, and no one from anywhere else up there wanted to play, there's no point in splitting it up.

The format is nailed as far as I can see. Regional Medal Qualifiers over 18 holes. Winners go to a 18 hole Medal Final at a central location.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair enough, maybe we have a final list drawn up for everybody who's interested in playing now that we've got the format sorted of regional qualifiers. I don't think we can have more than 10 regions but you're right, could end up with people ooop north travelling a long ol' way to play their 'regional' qualifier. That said, if everyone wanting to play in it from Scotland hypothetically all lived near Edinburgh, and no one from anywhere else up there wanted to play, there's no point in splitting it up.

The format is nailed as far as I can see. Regional Medal Qualifiers over 18 holes. Winners go to a 18 hole Medal Final at a central location.

I think once entries are in it will be much easier to decide the regions as we will have a better idea where to split etc.

Will also need final numbers so the amount of players making the final can be allocated. Some areas with more players will get more spaces in the final I would imagine?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think once entries are in it will be much easier to decide the regions as we will have a better idea where to split etc.

Will also need final numbers so the amount of players making the final can be allocated. Some areas with more players will get more spaces in the final I would imagine?

Problem doing it that way is people might not want to commit without knowing what courses they are likely to be playing, what the cost is and what the potential date is, think Jimbobs approach is the only way you can really do it, and hopefully the regions will be relatively well spread.

As for allocating final places, maybe just say 0-10 runners 1 place, 11-20 2 places etc

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Problem doing it that way is people might not want to commit without knowing what courses they are likely to be playing, what the cost is and what the potential date is, think Jimbobs approach is the only way you can really do it, and hopefully the regions will be relatively well spread.

As for allocating final places, maybe just say 0-10 runners 1 place, 11-20 2 places etc

I think most people if they are up for it will be in regardless. Not so easy to get anything organised without some idea of how many are interested etc. Cant really decide regions unless we know how many from where are interested too imo. I think at minimum we need a list of people who would be interested in playing a qualifier in April.

Yeah that's what I meant RE the final places. Might have to have some cross region card playoffs to decide one or two if need be.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think most people if they are up for it will be in regardless. Not so easy to get anything organised without some idea of how many are interested etc. Cant really decide regions unless we know how many from where are interested too imo. I think at minimum we need a list of people who would be interested in playing a qualifier in April.

Yeah that's what I meant RE the final places. Might have to have some cross region card playoffs to decide one or two if need be.

If you do that you'll just get a lot of people saying happy to play subject to course and date and I expect only a fraction of them will actually play when it comes down to it . Think you have to choose regions, list whos in charge for each area and leave up to them to drum up interest for who wants to play and where and when before finalising details. If ultimately there isnt enough interest in a region then it will be scrapped I expect, if that happens in too many regions....

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Do we know the regions yet ? Happy to hold a day at my club, but not sure if I am in the London region ?

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its that last ..... bit I didn't want to happen :D

Unless we just arrange 8 qualifiers in the 8 most popular areas going off people interested and see how that goes? Pencil in the dates with clubs etc.

If one area nose dives scrap it, if another proves a popular request by people coming on saying why isn't there one here? etc that could be added??

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you do that you'll just get a lot of people saying happy to play subject to course and date and I expect only a fraction of them will actually play when it comes down to it . Think you have to choose regions, list whos in charge for each area and leave up to them to drum up interest for who wants to play and where and when before finalising details. If ultimately there isnt enough interest in a region then it will be scrapped I expect, if that happens in too many regions....

Agreed. Start 8 separate threads for the 8 regions mentioned at the start of the thread. Get a discussion going about where people live and where they want to play, and how much they pay and then get a date in when people are happy.

Do we know the regions yet ? Happy to hold a day at my club, but not sure if I am in the London region ?

Rich, there's a London and a SW area listed on one of the first threads. If we get a lot of interest from people on the south coast / South West counties (cornwall / devon etc) then we could branch out a qualifier further west and you more central guys join the London one. Conversely, if there's noone from too far west, there's a good few people in Surrey / Hampshire who could get together and be the SW region?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haha :)

When are we having our rematch anyway, are we waiting till spring for the better weather now?

I thought we were having a rematch in this at the final? mono on mono, man Vs man, TM Vs Orka, David Vs Goliath... oh hang on, its now medal play??!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.