Glastonbury

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Politics has been a part of Glastonbury since at least 2010 when the Left Field stage was instigated. I think it's good to see young people getting motivated and involved irrespective of their political allegiances. Music and politics aren't exactly new bedfellows.

More Baez and Dylan perhaps but not any of the free loading political class please.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Politics has been a part of Glastonbury since at least 2010 when the Left Field stage was instigated. I think it's good to see young people getting motivated and involved irrespective of their political allegiances. Music and politics aren't exactly new bedfellows.

The Eavis political allegiance is well known as is the Left Field so it's hardly democratic talking to a somewhat captive audience. I know music and politics are interlocked and have been since the 60's but just find it disappointing that they feel the need to use the festival to spread a political message

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
The Eavis political allegiance is well known as is the Left Field so it's hardly democratic talking to a somewhat captive audience. I know music and politics are interlocked and have been since the 60's but just find it disappointing that they feel the need to use the festival to spread a political message

It's their train set.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Katy Perry proved at the Manchester concert that she can't sing live so no surprise there.

What offends you about Ed? Writes his own stuff, plays an instrument, sings live regularly. Not a reality singer, a proper musician. You might not like his music but there are a huge number of acts ahead of him in the "everything that's wrong with current music" queue.

He's tripe.
Not my opinon.
Fact!
😁
As you were

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's their train set.

Granted but how many other festivals (and it's a genuine question) allow opposition politicians to get on stage and spout their policies and views. Not sure how widespread it is and while I know it's the Eavis party I just don't think it's the place. They clearly do. Anyway, back to the music. Enjoyed the Kaiser Chiefs. They always seem to give a full on performance. Wanted to catch some of the Difford and Tilbrook acoustic set from yesterday but seems to have been no coverage

D

Deleted member 16999

It's not a captive audience though is it? Politicians are invited to Left Field as are musicians with a political message, ie Billy Bragg, the festival goers can ignore them, not every festival goer sees every act on every stage, so it's absolutely democratic.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's not a captive audience though is it? Politicians are invited to Left Field as are musicians with a political message, ie Billy Bragg, the festival goers can ignore them, not every festival goer sees every act on every stage, so it's absolutely democratic.

But you don't have to be standing at a stage to still hear what's going on

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Glastonbury has always been political, from the CND days and there were a fair few political artists in the ones i went to in the 80's

D

Deleted member 16999

But you don't have to be standing at a stage to still hear what's going on
Without being rude as I know you go to a lot of concerts, have you been to Glastonbury or any other festival?
If you are watching an act on one stage you have absolutely no chance of hearing what's going on in other areas, it's that loud and also spaced out so that different acts can perform at the same time, the only way you would hear Corbyn would be to be at the pyramid stage.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm sorry, he's obviously talented but he aint Chic and certainly aint the Foo Fighters, switching over to the golf on Sky.
Hope you Ed Sheeran fans enjoy his set though :thup:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only you could look to score political points on a thread about a musical festival.
Not me but the politically biased people who allow Corbyn to get on stage at Glastonbury and feed people with his Trotsky views. That's point scoring. It's not comparable with a band singing a protest song.

Best not to mention it though!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Not me but the politically biased people who allow Corbyn to get on stage at Glastonbury and feed people with his Trotsky views. That's point scoring. It's not comparable with a band singing a protest song.
He was invited to speak, Left Field has a series of guest speakers, Q&A sessions, etc, Glastonbury is not only music.

D

Deleted member 1740

He was invited to speak, Left Field has a series of guest speakers, Q&A sessions, etc, Glastonbury is not only music.

Stop feeding him, every thread he posts on he tries to turn it into politics.

D

Deleted member 15344

Corbyn's political speech was not a normal event there. You know that, don't you?
Who the hell cares !? You really do have a problem - this thread was supposed to about Glastonbury and the music and you are once again going on about is politics- you have ruined enough threads with the point scoring with regards our political parties please leave this one alone

Back to the music - Ed Sheeran , pure class tonight - music is never bad as it's always about someone's taste but for me Ed Sheeran is an amazing talent who is a global star alongside Adele