Giving GOLFTV a try

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Any further updates or opinions before I take the plunge?

Quite like watching some of the "lesser" tours so this is actually pricking my interest. How easy is it to cast onto my TV from my phone?

Based on the Waste Management Phoenix Open

Thursday / Friday coverage was great, no issues for the price point to complain about for me really.

I missed Saturday coverage but watched through Sundays coverage.

Featured holes were the 16 & 17 and whilst it's good to see them coming in you miss all the excitement elsewhere.

When Rickie triple bogied the leaderboard shown him at -19 and then updated itself to show him at -16, they then went on to discuss his triple bogey but there was no footage of it.

Once the final group had walked off 17 coverage seemed to cease, they passed out their thanks to the relevant sponsors etc and then the stream ended and it never actually concluded who had won.

I watched this on demand, the live stream had already finished, so I'm not sure if this was in the live coverage and then cut from the 'on demand' stuff for copyright reasons. Maybe somebody that watched it live may have a different experience.

For £5 a month though i'm definitely keeping it, just to listen in at work and follow the Web Tour etc. as it's nice to see what we have to look forward to.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a good price if you only watch Golf compared to Sky Sports, but isn't it a bit like watching a football match where you only follow 1 player or 1 area of the pitch and your missing most of the action, must a bit frustrating compared to full coverage? I take it the featured groups at the weekend are the leaders, or is it just featured holes at the weekend?

Last edited:

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Just a heads up lads, i've had some promotional material from Sky through the door this morning, 18 months of all the sports channels (Golf, football, arena, Premier League, Cricket and F1) for £18p/m. Price of 5-6 pints and it guarantees decent coverage of the golf and i'll get all the football as well (y)(y) Obviously £5 a month is a fantastic deal but only being able to watch featured holes and no weekend coverage means sky is a no brainer for me now !

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just a heads up lads, i've had some promotional material from Sky through the door this morning, 18 months of all the sports channels (Golf, football, arena, Premier League, Cricket and F1) for £18p/m. Price of 5-6 pints and it guarantees decent coverage of the golf and i'll get all the football as well (y)(y) Obviously £5 a month is a fantastic deal but only being able to watch featured holes and no weekend coverage means sky is a no brainer for me now !

But this will be on top of the cost your Sky package, if you could only choose the Sports Pack and nothing else I think lots of people would do it, so not really £18 per month. Even with haggling I think the cheapest you can get Sky with Sports is £30+ per month.

Now TV are doing Sports Pack for £20 per month for 4 months, which covers you until the end of the football season. The good thing with Now TV is you don't need to purchase any other channels if you don't want to. You can also watch 2 streams simultaneously so you could share the cost with a relative or friend if you wished (I'm sure this is against the T&C's but I know people who do this no problem).

https://www.nowtv.com/watch-sky-spo...HDJNk7kq9W2Sx_nUK6ozNCRrg9Vk-ipRoCdRsQAvD_BwE

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
But this will be on top of the cost your Sky package, if you could only choose the Sports Pack and nothing else I think lots of people would do it, so not really £18 per month. Even with haggling I think the cheapest you can get Sky with Sports is £30+ per month.

Now TV are doing Sports Pack for £20 per months for 4 months, which covers you until the end of the football season. The good thing with Now TV is you don't need to purchase any other channels if you don't want to. You can also watch 2 streams simultaneously so you could share the cost with a relative or friend if you wished (I'm sure this is against the T&C's but I know people who do this no problem).

https://www.nowtv.com/watch-sky-spo...HDJNk7kq9W2Sx_nUK6ozNCRrg9Vk-ipRoCdRsQAvD_BwE

Point well made. But for me I pay £30 a month for my broadband with a basic sky package. So an additional £18 a month just represents value for sports in my head :ROFLMAO: I think i'll be taking the plunge this evening. Certainly worth a thought for those already with Sky though if they are wanting sports !

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Now TV is the way to go if you don't want to pay too much for sports coverage. As pool888 mentions above you can currently get it for £20 a month for 4 months, and they'll shortly launch their F1 season pass which gives you all sports channels......you pay up front but usually works out about £16 per month.

Sky recently offered me all sports channels for £11 a month but they want an additional £25 a month for their Entertainment Package....I'd literally watch nothing on that!

Grugg

Visit site
Based on the Waste Management Phoenix Open

Thursday / Friday coverage was great, no issues for the price point to complain about for me really.

I missed Saturday coverage but watched through Sundays coverage.

Featured holes were the 16 & 17 and whilst it's good to see them coming in you miss all the excitement elsewhere.

When Rickie triple bogied the leaderboard shown him at -19 and then updated itself to show him at -16, they then went on to discuss his triple bogey but there was no footage of it.

Once the final group had walked off 17 coverage seemed to cease, they passed out their thanks to the relevant sponsors etc and then the stream ended and it never actually concluded who had won.

I watched this on demand, the live stream had already finished, so I'm not sure if this was in the live coverage and then cut from the 'on demand' stuff for copyright reasons. Maybe somebody that watched it live may have a different experience.

For £5 a month though i'm definitely keeping it, just to listen in at work and follow the Web Tour etc. as it's nice to see what we have to look forward to.

This just about sums up my experience with GolfTV and whilst it's a little frustrating missing the action going on elsewhere on the course I think it's just about worth the £5 a month for a golf 'fix'.

I watched the final stages live and the stream did indeed end when the featured holes were completed. Too bad they don't conclude with at least the result though

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Now TV is the way to go if you don't want to pay too much for sports coverage. As pool888 mentions above you can currently get it for £20 a month for 4 months, and they'll shortly launch their F1 season pass which gives you all sports channels......you pay up front but usually works out about £16 per month.

Sky recently offered me all sports channels for £11 a month but they want an additional £25 a month for their Entertainment Package....I'd literally watch nothing on that!

I'll check that out again. They just stopped my £20 a month offer. Wouldn't give me it again and wanted £33.

Seanz25

Visit site
I too signed up for the initial month, the on-demand replay from yesterday's Phoenix open showed featured groups for the first hour or two, it then transitioned into featured holes, I'm assuming this happened live also - And hasn't been added in post the event finishing?

Actual coverage seem's fine - obviously a bit strange missing what's going on elsewhere but it's still a decent 'fix.'

Using a VPN will allow you to access a lot more content 'in full' including European tour coverage and doesn't require an account based in a specific country - but whether you can be bothered going down the VPN route is a different matter for a different day.

seasidehacker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has any European tour content showing (mine hasn't) and if anyone has tried this through a VPN? I cant work out which country has full coverage over the weekend and not just selected groups and holes?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has any European tour content showing (mine hasn't) and if anyone has tried this through a VPN? I cant work out which country has full coverage over the weekend and not just selected groups and holes?

Can't be certain it will work but i'd start with these locations, let us know how you get on as I'll set up a VPN myself if it works out.

From January 2019, Discovery will hold live European Tour rights in the following markets (please see Notes to Editors for full market list):

• Exclusive linear and digital rights in markets including Italy, Romania, Russia, Spain (sublicense agreed with Movistar+), Turkey;
  • GOLFTV digital streaming rights in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Portugal, Balkan countries, Eurasia, India, Latin America, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore and a number of territories in Asia;

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Dunna bother with this crap...

Rain delayed play, so the scheduled slot that ran from 2.30pm managed to get the 1st 2 groups coverage before rain halted play.

The rest of the scheduled slot was then filled with 2018 coverage which is fair enough. Good to show something whilst no groups are able to play.

There out playing again now and there is not foootage whatsoever.

It seems that outside of the scheduled slots there is zero coverage, so as the scores were wiped clear there has effectively been no footage of today’s golf.

Same seems to happen if the golf goes on beyond the scheduled time slot, which results in not knowing the final results 🙄

They need to address this.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Have had a go with a basic vpn, pga final round featured groups have appeared, and also seeing some items under Euro tour, although not tried them as from earlier.

User20204

Visit site
Seems there isn't any actual live golf on that Golf TV or am I just not finding it ?? All I see is on demand stuff.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Any update on this?

I'm considering trying it for the President's Cup etc.

Is it ? or is it a means to an end to see some golf.