Girls Golf Rocks

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
jasondransfieldgolf.wordpress.com
Hi everyone,

I thought I would post it on here about Girls Golf Rocks which is an initiative being run by the Golf Foundation and England Golf.

Didsbury Golf Club in Manchester and myself have been selected as one of four courses in the north west to run this scheme.

We are running a free taster session on Sunday 1st May between 2-4pm for any girls under 18 who might like to give golf a try, the only criteria is the girls aren't already a member of a club. Anyone in the area who have children or relatives please get in touch, we are trying our best to try and get more girls in to golf. I can be contacted via email at jasondransfieldgolf@hotmail.com.

After the taster session we are running a 10 week course which incurs a cost of £15 for the 10 weeks that will cover all aspects of the game.

As always thanks for your support.

Jason

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yup seen this advertised at Norwood park Southwell Notts so give them A Buzz as well.
Well posted mah man.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club (Padbrook Park, Devon) is offering free Ladies membership this year, and the uptake has been very good! My wife already plays there and is hoping to mingle and get some ladies up to playing competitively!

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Good luck with it. My 8 year old would have been up for this kind of thing if it happened in our area; she has just started the local club's summer programme. 16 weeks of group lessons, followed by tournament, lunch and presentations, for £70. In her group of 12 - just two girls including her.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Can you answer this question

Why are you spending time and effort on recruiting people to the game that have less interest in it than boys?

If you want to grow the game, target the right people, BOYS AND GOLFERS that have played before but no longer play, golfers that play infrequently but might play frequently

I simply do not get this huge push to get girls and women into golf, if the same energy and resource had been ploughed into getting more boys and previous golfers to play golf, many golf clubs that are now closed would still be open.

D

Deleted member 15344

Can you answer this question

Why are you spending time and effort on recruiting people to the game that have less interest in it than boys?

If you want to grow the game, target the right people, BOYS AND GOLFERS that have played before but no longer play, golfers that play infrequently but might play frequently

I simply do not get this huge push to get girls and women into golf, if the same energy and resource had been ploughed into getting more boys and previous golfers to play golf, many golf clubs that are now closed would still be open.

Are you being serious ?

Golf is a game for all not just one sex - we have had a massive push to get junior girls and ladies to join - has been a big success and one of them will be in the England Schools team this year I have no doubt.

Since when has the right people been "boys" only ?!

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Are you being serious ?

Golf is a game for all not just one sex - we have had a massive push to get junior girls and ladies to join - has been a big success and one of them will be in the England Schools team this year I have no doubt.

Since when has the right people been "boys" only ?!

I am being very serious. given we have finite time and resources to create the maximum impact you have to target the right demographic the right demographic is NOT girls if you want to save a golf club.

THISGIRLGOLFS is a PC bandwagon that you are not allowed to state is a waste of resources but people simply wont state it (Many admit it in private)

people like to be seen to support it and it gives them lots of warm huggy type comments and engagements, but the reality is this whilst sure its nice that girls and women take up the game, if you want to save your club, or grow the game, it is MUCH more effective to target people who are likely to take up the game AND stick with it.

You have a failing golf club, do you

A. Try and convince girls and women to play golf
or
B. Spend the time and effort aiming at boys and men?

Understanding you only have the time and resource to do one or the other, which one in your opinion will produce a larger impact?

Lets say GYMNASTICS IS FAILING

Do Gymanstics clubs think, ok lets target men, this man does gymnastics, get men into gymnastics
OR
Do they try and recruit more girls?

Ice Hockey club is failing

Do they

A. Spend time and effort recruiting girls into a male dominated sport
or
B.. Spend that same time and effort recruiting boys?

Synchronised swimming club is failling

Do they

A. Spend time and effort trying to attract boys to take up this sport
OR
B. Use the same resources to attract more girls to their club?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I am being very serious. given we have finite time and resources to create the maximum impact you have to target the right demographic the right demographic is NOT girls if you want to save a golf club.

Sure its nice that girls and women take up the game, but if you want to save your club, or grow the game, it is MUCH more effective to target people who are likely to take up the game AND stick with it.

You have a failing golf club, do you

A. Try and convince girls and women to play golf
or
B. Spend the time and effort aiming at boys and men?

Understanding you only have the time and resource to do one or the other, which one in your opinion will produce a larger impact?

Since when has it been about a failing golf club or saving a golf club ?

It's about growing the game for all and ensuring the game is open to all as opposed being restrictive as it has been for years.

Since when was it decided that men only was the right demographic - get out from under that rock

Thankfully attitudes like yours have no influence on the game at the top.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Since when has it been about a failing golf club or saving a golf club ?

It's about growing the game for all and ensuring the game is open to all as opposed being restrictive as it has been for years.

Since when was it decided that men only was the right demographic - get out from under that rock

Thankfully attitudes like yours have no influence on the game at the top.

GROWING the game is about saving failing golf clubs in case you were not aware.

Ever heard of market segmentation?
Opportunity cost?

There are right and wrong ways to grow the game, effective and ineffective

Your response to me is a perfect example of how we must assimilate and focus on this bandwagon whilst golf continues to shrink.

I have never spoken to a club owner or golf business owner who would disagree

My attitude is this

It is great that women and girls play golf, i have played many many mixed games, but GROWING THE GAME should not FOCUS on the wrong demographic

It is common sense, economic sense, marketing sense

So tell me, how would you grow all the sports I listed? With your limited time and resources

Do i require gymnastics and synchronised swimming to have a campaign to encourage me to take part? If this is not run, do they have a bad attitude? OR are they simply targeting the correct demographic?

LETS GET MORE LEFT HANDERS PLAYING GOLF, they are under represented, THIS LEFTY GOLFS..

I can tell you what, every golf course that is struggling that i spoke with agrees with me about the easiest way to bring more NEW golfers to the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Golf continues to shrink ? Really - not by recent figures it's not

And growing the game isn't just about failing golf clubs

Golf unions will always continue to look at ways to encourage more to play golf and will always focus on pinch points where the numbers are considerably less because of historic barriers that were put in place by both the sport or golf clubs.

Again when was it decided what the "right" demographic is ?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
@351DRIVER In Germany, 40 % of all golfers are women. Netherlands, Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries aren't that far behind. Why should women in the UK be so fundamentally different? Golf is not a men's sport by design. What's keeping women from taking up the sport is attitudes like yours. And campaigns like Girls Golf Rocks are working on changing that.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Failing clubs with limited resources should aim at the easiest market to recruit new customers

It has nothing to do with attitude it has everything to do with being effective

I do not have an attitude, but it seems that this is instantly applied when some perfectly logical information is posted, no where did i say i do not want women playing, keep women off the course, quite the opposite, i like mixed golf a lot.

Two points form earlier in this thread and i would appreciate it if you would read what i have written, i have no attitude thanks

1. A golf day like this was arranged at a club and ZERO women attended
2. FREE memberships mean the paying members are subsidising people who are not committed enough to PAY, what is the point of having FREE members?
b Why not offer FREE memberships to MEN who have never played golf before as well?

D

Deleted member 15344

Why do you keep going on about failing golf clubs ?

We aren't failing yet focused on bringing in more working ladies and junior girls because it was a demographic we were short on - it worked , we increased both levels of membership.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
@351DRIVER In Germany, 40 % of all golfers are women. Netherlands, Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries aren't that far behind. Why should women in the UK be so fundamentally different? Golf is not a men's sport by design. What's keeping women from taking up the sport is attitudes like yours. And campaigns like Girls Golf Rocks are working on changing that.

I would imagine there are more female players largely due to climate, my mother, sister and cousin all play golf, they NEVER play in bad weather.

My DAD, uncles and male cousins all do go out in poorer weather. I think IN GENERAL men are more likely to turn up and play sport in poor weather.