Girls Golf Rocks

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why do you keep going on about failing golf clubs ?

We aren't failing yet focused on bringing in more working ladies and junior girls because it was a demographic we were short on - it worked , we increased both levels of membership.

Let it go Phil.
You're going to give yourself a heart attack the way you keep on mate.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why do you keep going on about failing golf clubs ?

We aren't failing yet focused on bringing in more working ladies and junior girls because it was a demographic we were short on - it worked , we increased both levels of membership.

I was not aware we were discussing YOUR club and in case you were not aware many clubs are failing, i thought we were discussing GOLF IN GENERAL

How an individual club fills up is one thing, i was looking at the bigger picture with huge resources being aimed at (YOU HAVE TO ADMIT THIS) a segment that is less likely to become a paying and regular golfer.

Facts are facts, tell me what I have typed that is wrong or where my attitude is bad, it is not.

This topic does not allow for other perspectives or logical discussion without people being told they have bad attitudes or they are the problem, i can assure you i do more to help golf grow, male and female golfers than most.

Anyway, got work now..

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the best way of attracting teenage boys to golf is the have teenage girls playing.....:lol:

Good luck Jason, I used to be heavily involved with junior golf development.
One of the crucial aspects to encourage more girls to play is to ensure the club have an inclusive Junior Section, not separate boys and girls sections
Sadly I have found that the majority of women golfers/clubs do not like to see young girls playing golf and make life difficult for them. There are notable exceptions but I stress they are exceptions.
Girls and boys/men and woman playing in the same club competitions is the way to go.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
One of the best way of attracting teenage boys to golf is the have teenage girls playing.....:lol:

Good luck Jason, I used to be heavily involved with junior golf development.
One of the crucial aspects to encourage more girls to play is to ensure the club have an inclusive Junior Section, not separate boys and girls sections
Sadly I have found that the majority of women golfers/clubs do not like to see young girls playing golf and make life difficult for them. There are notable exceptions but I stress they are exceptions.
Girls and boys/men and woman playing in the same club competitions is the way to go.

First line is very true

So you run your promo for girls, have them arrive at 10, run your promo for boys run it at 1130 and at 1 have a mixed event

THAT to me is effective and more likely to hook, paying members and both sexes for longer.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I would imagine there are more female players largely due to climate, my mother, sister and cousin all play golf, they NEVER play in bad weather.

My DAD, uncles and male cousins all do go out in poorer weather. I think IN GENERAL men are more likely to turn up and play sport in poor weather.

Seriously? Have you ever been to Germany? Or the Scandinavian countries? I assure you, the weather isn't that different. There might be a tad less rain over the year than in the UK, but winters can be very cold and long. My mum and I played in the hail on Sunday. Of course I prefer to play in good weather. Everybody does. And yes, our regular lady's rounds, both the regular and the senior players, pause over winter while the men continue to play (in much lower numbers than in summer, though, not alll of them are willing to tough it out, either), but that does not mean that there are no ladies out on the course in bad weather.

BTW, are you even aware that gymnastics is a sport done by both genders? Male gymnastics is one of the toughest sports a man can do (and the athletes who do it have the bodies to prove it). There are even mixed varieties now in the acrobatics disciplines (which are part of gymnastics, too) where men and women compete together. I think you should modernize your image of gender roles slightly.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Both of these are spot on... I've just about managed to convince my boy to take up the game (he's 12).. I'm absolutely convinced that it would have been a lot easier if he thought there were girls of his age at the Club..

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
One of the best way Girls and boys/men and woman playing in the same club competitions is the way to go.

You mean you don't do that? Like, by default? I mean, we have the usual weekly men's and ladies' rounds under the week, mostly frequented by middle aged and older players (because honestly, who can get out for 18 holes on a Wednesday or Thursday afternoon), but trying to make a club competition on the weekend exclusively for men or women would lead to murder in our club. And the junior competitions are mixed anyway. There might be separate rankings in the end, with a male and a female winner announced (and often not even that), but there are always mixed groups playing.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
In my experience ten boys follow one girl. I have never had ten girls follow me. Yet. Been close a few timea though.
Fortunately our club actively promotes both boys and girls and women. This girls rocks is just an emphasis on something Norwood have been doing for some time. Something i have whinged about on here for some time.
Why are struggling clubs not looking at what makes clubs succesful.
Engalnd golf has a duty to support all golfersand if golf rocks fails. Well at least it tried. That is something we should all support.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im not even going to address the dross I've read on this thread. Shocking attitude that is probably a good indicator of why we need a good push to encourage young female golfers in the first place.

Jason, not been to Hoylake for a while so haven't seen you .

Hope you're game is well, best of luck with the initiative.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
In my experience ten boys follow one girl. I have never had ten girls follow me. Yet. Been close a few timea though.
Fortunately our club actively promotes both boys and girls and women. This girls rocks is just an emphasis on something Norwood have been doing for some time. Something i have whinged about on here for some time.
Why are struggling clubs not looking at what makes clubs succesful.
Engalnd golf has a duty to support all golfers and if girls golf rocks fails. Well at least it tried. That is something we should all support.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think IN GENERAL men are more likely to turn up and play sport in poor weather.

Ridiculous comment, but then again given most of your comments on other threads its seems like only your opinion can be correct (same with the Long Drive thread).

talking about the commitment of women to join a club, have you not considered that if they have a year free, they can then see what its like, start to integrate before joining fully the following year - its no different to juniors getting free membership.

The issue on growing the game (and golf itself) is in my opinion exactly because of people like yourself - not as many women take up the game because they are made to believe its a mans game. A women joining a club may then lead to the husband also taking up the game.

womens sport is growing across the board - football participation is up, cricket is growing etc etc.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Seriously? Have you ever been to Germany? Or the Scandinavian countries? I assure you, the weather isn't that different

Yes i have, and you are wrong, the weather during the golfing season is significantly better in both countries than in the uk.

There might be a tad less rain over the year than in the UK, but winters can be very cold and long. My mum and I played in the hail on Sunday. Of course I prefer to play in good weather. Everybody does. And yes, our regular lady's rounds, both the regular and the senior players, pause over winter while the men continue to play (in much lower numbers than in summer, though, not alll of them are willing to tough it out, either), but that does not mean that there are no ladies out on the course in bad weather.

I did not say NO ladies play in bad golf, the FACT is ladies are less inclined than men to go out in crumby weather, do you agree or disagree?

BTW, are you even aware that gymnastics is a sport done by both genders?

YES i used this as an example as it is a sport i know and if a gymnastics club needs more members it should target females
A
Male gymnastics is one of the toughest sports a man can do (and the athletes who do it have the bodies to prove it).

There are even mixed varieties now in the acrobatics disciplines (which are part of gymnastics, too) where men and women compete together. I think you should modernize your image of gender roles slightly.[/QUO

I am very modern, but males and females are not inclined in equal numbers to do the same things, that is obvious

This subject is never properly discussed and its clear why, UNLESS you say YIPPEE GROW GIRLS GOLF, this is wonderful for the game and the club, you are told you have an attitude and are sexist and are the problem.

The problem is not being able to have a discussion without those that are apparently focused on inclusion of women excluding other opinions, views or ideas.

The guy that posted about being a junior convenor made a good point about girls attracting boys, from this i replied and believe that the approach in my reply would retain more girls and more boys, which is what i want!

I just noticed a post above as i was writing, it mentions womens football and the LD thread
I organised mixed football for 11 years twice a week before I moved city
So if you think i do not appreciate women in sport i certainly do.

Perhaps in the LD thread, i know more about it than you do?

You guys all want to hate an opinion, its not very inclusive

I suggest you read through this and tell me honestly what i have said that is incorrect

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was down the golf club the other Sunday for lunch.
Saw the assistant pro taking a lot of youngsters around to the practice ground for a big group lesson.
There were about a dozen or more and there must have been half a dozen girls in amongst them.
It was really good to see and bodes well for the future of the club.

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
jasondransfieldgolf.wordpress.com
Thanks for all your replies, I didn't realise it would promote such tension.

The reason I posted was to make people aware that I am running this at Didsbury in the hope of growing golf to girls that have never played before. I also work in a couple of schools teaching mixed sessions in the hope of growing the game in this area for both boys and girls. We need more golfers across the board and I believe junior golf is the way to go, they are the next generation of golfers.

There are a number of factors why girls and women don't play and on the whole I honestly believe it is not down to the weather. I have played a lot in Sweden as I went out with a Swedish girl for 7 years and the reason why so many girls play is definitely not down to the weather. Dress code, family initiatives were the reasons behind this.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, I didn't realise it would promote such tension.

The reason I posted was to make people aware that I am running this at Didsbury in the hope of growing golf to girls that have never played before. I also work in a couple of schools teaching mixed sessions in the hope of growing the game in this area for both boys and girls. We need more golfers across the board and I believe junior golf is the way to go, they are the next generation of golfers.

There are a number of factors why girls and women don't play and on the whole I honestly believe it is not down to the weather. I have played a lot in Sweden as I went out with a Swedish girl for 7 years and the reason why so many girls play is definitely not down to the weather. Dress code, family initiatives were the reasons behind this.

It's a golf forum and you mentioned girls playing golf. Ill informed comment was always going to happen...;)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Failing clubs with limited resources should aim at the easiest market to recruit new customers

It has nothing to do with attitude it has everything to do with being effective

I do not have an attitude, but it seems that this is instantly applied when some perfectly logical information is posted, no where did i say i do not want women playing, keep women off the course, quite the opposite, i like mixed golf a lot.

Two points form earlier in this thread and i would appreciate it if you would read what i have written, i have no attitude thanks

1. A golf day like this was arranged at a club and ZERO women attended
2. FREE memberships mean the paying members are subsidising people who are not committed enough to PAY, what is the point of having FREE members?
b Why not offer FREE memberships to MEN who have never played golf before as well?

Actually any business should also focus on areas which will encourage long term sustainable grown, instead of short term fixes. The average age of female members at clubs in the UK is something like 65, and the percentage of female compared to males who are members of clubs is by far the lowest in Europe. So it doesn't take Alan Sugar to work out there is an opportunity there and something that need addressing for the long term future of quite a few clubs.

On top of helping to change the perception of the game as one played by mostly middle aged to elderly male dinosaurs with attitudes from the 1970s, there is plenty of research out there that shows that if you encourage females then they will more likely bring the kids and you can turn the golf club more into a long term sustainable family destination. I appreciate that that is not applicable at some clubs, and it may well upset the 4 or 5 old duffers who use the club house bar and think the whole thing is ruin for their short term benefit at others, but business is business.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think any initiative to get new golfers, irrespective of sex is a great thing. In general terms I'd argue there aren't enough girls playing, certainly not members of clubs and the demographic of most ladies sections is on the middle-old aged. We do need to be getting the next generation interested

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You mean you don't do that? Like, by default? I mean, we have the usual weekly men's and ladies' rounds under the week, mostly frequented by middle aged and older players (because honestly, who can get out for 18 holes on a Wednesday or Thursday afternoon), but trying to make a club competition on the weekend exclusively for men or women would lead to murder in our club. And the junior competitions are mixed anyway. There might be separate rankings in the end, with a male and a female winner announced (and often not even that), but there are always mixed groups playing.

Sadly Capella the UK is light years behind Germany when it comes to promoting golf to new players.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sadly Capella the UK is light years behind Germany when it comes to promoting golf to new players.

Not every club is light years behind

In fact a lot of clubs have introduced a lot of mixed medals etc over the past 5 years.

All our medals and stablefords at weekends are open to anyone