Girls Golf Rocks

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not every club is light years behind

In fact a lot of clubs have introduced a lot of mixed medals etc over the past 5 years.

All our medals and stablefords at weekends are open to anyone

Was this the case before the equality law had an impact on clubs?

Good luck with promoting the game to girls. My club promotes childrens golf for 7 year old up to 11 (when they can join as juniors) every Sunday for 2 hours and this now has a waiting list...however I have only noticed a couple of girls there as its mostly young boys.

D

Deleted member 15344

Was this the case before the equality law had an impact on clubs?

Good luck with promoting the game to girls. My club promotes childrens golf for 7 year old up to 11 (when they can join as juniors) every Sunday for 2 hours and this now has a waiting list...however I have only noticed a couple of girls there as its mostly young boys.

I have no idea - it was something I wanted to start when I joined the committee

The junior section does appear to be a good mix right now and on Sunday's when we see them all walking across to the practise ground there does seem to be a good mix of boys and girls

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Sadly Capella the UK is light years behind Germany when it comes to promoting golf to new players.

Actually, we struggle with that in Germany as well ... it's just that the perception of golf being mainly a male sport is not there, so you are about as likely to bring a woman to the sport as a man... we struggle more with the notion of golf being a sport for the filthy rich. I think most people with an average or below average income would never even consider golf as something they could do, even though membership fees have dropped and golf is becoming more and more affordable for "normal" people.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not every club is light years behind

In fact a lot of clubs have introduced a lot of mixed medals etc over the past 5 years.

All our medals and stablefords at weekends are open to anyone

I have no idea - it was something I wanted to start when I joined the committee

So it was you that started it at your club?

D

Deleted member 15344

mixed as in a group can have men and women in, 1 competition won by the best score? or womens tee times mixed in with mens tee times but ultimately 2 separate comps for results purposes?
Mixed as in one comp and the winner is the best score regardless of sex

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mixed as in one comp and the winner is the best score regardless of sex

nice one, well done :) weve met a fair bit of resistance in trying to bring ours closer together (ie the second part, not close to where you are), we managed to hold mens and womens club champs on the same day this year which was seen as groundbreaking lol

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no harm in promoting to a single group as long as the structure is there to give all an equal chance to succeed once in.

I stand behind campaigns like this, golf needs female golfers and male golfers alike. We bring to the table different things as genders and individuals too. All should be embraced if they love the game and all should have the chance to cross the threshold to discover that love! Break the barrier, cross the threshold, find the love.

D

Deleted member 15344

nice one, well done :) weve met a fair bit of resistance in trying to bring ours closer together (ie the second part, not close to where you are), we managed to hold mens and womens club champs on the same day this year which was seen as groundbreaking lol

We had one of the ladies win one of our big board comps a week or so and one lady who has never won anything in her life managed to come second but took more enjoyment out of beating her husband :D

When it first started we only got about 4 ladies - getting over 20 now which is over 20% of the ladies membership

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
At my club in the ladies section we have got a recruitment committee and we have been advertising inside the club and out and have also got a connection with the local Trafford Golf Centre and are also in touch with one of the England golf county development officers to try and grow our ladies section.
As far as I know the main club are doing nothing to increase membership.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I partly owe my existence to golf, because my grandmother (who played golf as a young women) met my grandfather (who also played) on a golf course. No reason why girls and ladies shouldn't play golf. Most of the lady golfers at our club are the wives and daughters of male members, but not many from outside that circle. Perhaps more role models, such as Charley Hull if she becomes a major champion, might encourage more girls to play the game?

andyp1977

Hacker
Visit site
My 10 yr old daughter took part in this scheme last year. Irrespective of the politics of women in golf, it was a great opportunity for her to try golf. She really enjoyed it and it has now provided a way of us spending some time together doing something that we both enjoy. If she wants to continue to play as she gets older, excellent. If not, at least she's had the chance to try it.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I checked our club's handicap lists today. It seems that we have more than four times as many male members with active playing handicaps than ladies. I guess that is fairly typical for non gender specific sports. Girls and ladies generally seem to be less interested in sport. Not sure what we can do to redress this balance!

BTW, I visited my old club Wexham Park yesterday, and there were a lot of young girls on the practice area with a teaching pro. Don't know if this was part of the Girls Golf Rocks initiative?

Last edited:

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
My club has 1033 members with handicaps, 159 of those are female. Currently the club are offering females who are immediate relatives of existing members 3 months trial membership free, I'd hope that would attract some new blood to the club. The Junior section is about one third girls and we have had two girl Junior Captains in the last few years.

I'm all for encouraging more female participation in golf and I applaud those that are pushing the Golf Girls Rock initiative. Let's hope that Charley Hull can go one better than her second place finish at the ANA Inspiration and inspire some more young girls to take up the game.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I just got the annual report form our club the other day: 1001 members, 606 male, 395 female. Average age (not much difference between the genders here) 54 years, 422 members are older than 60. Again, in Germany golf is not a gender specific sport. It is more age specific and income specific.