Gimmies

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What do you think would happen to your scores (& handicap) if automatic 'gimmies' (to a predefined distance of say 12" from hole edge) were somehow permitted in competitive stroke-play (however unlikely)

And if such a change were made to the game would you be for or against it

What would be the negative impacts on the game

(not a full-on serious question, just might be interesting to see what folks think)

D

Deleted Member 1156

It wouldn't make any difference to my handicap as it is very rare for me to miss from that distance but I think it could easily put up the handicaps of higher players because they tend to lose a lot of shots through poor concentration.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
For speeding up play I wouldn't be against it...

Nagging doubt being I've played with quite a few that have issues with those last 12"...

I'd be OK with trialling it for a season to see any/what effect it may or may not have with regard handicaps...

D

Deleted member 18121

I dont think up to 12inch gimmies would have much effect on my game at all, maybe 1 per round, but I think gimmies given during bounce games are more generous than that and would have an effect.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i suppose in theory its should speed up play and no one should miss from 12 inches, but unfortunately there are people who reg miss from that distance esp if the pressure is on, you know the squeaky bummer downhill with a fair bit of break on it.

so Yes and No;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Wouldn’t do much to my scores and certainly not in favour of it for Comp Q scores

Idea is to get the ball in the hole not close enough so that someone can allow you to take it away

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would never make more than 1 or 2 shots difference. Some days it would be no difference. I suppose on average I might miss one gimme-length putt per round, if not being given putts.

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Saw on a Thai course they had a circle around the hole in a similar idea. When it touches the line its a gimme.

Used to think it would make a huge difference to my game to have that in comps, but after a few years oit wouldn't - not from 12 inches. But those 2ft gimmes some take - it might then.

I played with a guy once who had the dreaded yips in the club championship. Just could not put the ball in the hole no matter how close. Must have missed 5 from inside 12 inches that day and 2 from 6 inches. Horrible

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will miss one of these once every 4 rounds so minimal difference for me. I play with a guy who will miss 4 a round so big for him. It's horrible to see as he is a really nice bloke.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
12 inches for a gimme in comps I would consider to be too far from the hole so I would expect my scores to go slightly down.

I do not think it would affect my handicap too much as the CSS would reflect everybody's better scores.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
12" wouldn't make any difference to my scores or time - I'm always going to tap it in rather than mark in any comp or company. Very rarely mark my ball ever.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I actually think a ring round the hole for gimmie range putts would make a difference. Psychologicaly it would make a bigger target and asssit with lag putting, imo.

i know that’s not what you asked, but seems the only way you would quickly put something like that into play.

And also would make sense to have at resort courses where there aren’t comps if pace of play was an issue.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
For me 12" is too far away, it's got to be stone dead. I've seen pro's miss from less than 12". Had a funny event happen recently. One of our playing partners hit their drive on to a tricky par 3 to about 3 feet. It was a downhill, right to left breaker. Then declared :-

"that's the first time I have had a two on here"
"you haven't yet, you need to putt that"
"oh, your not going to give it to me..?"
"no"

Player subsequently misses the putt, you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife........

For me, generally if you are asking, you don't fancy the putt, if it's that simple, knock it in.........

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Putting is the better part of my game, don't think 12" gimmees will affect me that much, it's the 2 - 8 shots it takes me to get to the green that is the main issue for me :)

I can see how it might speed up medal play a bit, white line around the hole, but then, why not just put larger holes in play? Not something I'd want to do per say, but it's the same effect.