Gimmie (No Thanks??????)

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am I on my own here? does any one else when given a gimmie want to still play the shot? I feel as if I have not completed the hole and cheated?

I have never said no to one as I have considered that to be rude but some of them have been about 2 foot which I really fancied having a go at.

Also when should you give a gimmie?

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In matchplay situation if i receive a gimmie i take it-it means your opponent is happy you would have made the putt or he wants no distractions when he is putting.

When to gove a gimmie is up to each individual-you can give a two footer on the first, make your opponent putt a one footer on the next and so on-giving your opponent a gimmie can be a useful tactical tool in matchplay.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
If the gimme is for 2ft or less then I don't worry about it - over that and I still want to putt out. I still don't cos of shanker's point above but there are occasions, in friendly wagers mainly, that I will ask if I can finish for the sake of it.

Give a gimme as you see fit - obviously don't over do it but as suggested make it tactical.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I know how htl feels.

You feel as though you haven't fully played the hole and yes, sometimes I do feel a bit fraudulent marking my card with a score which technically you haven't done.

Saying that, it does help to speed the game along a little, especially amongst fourballs.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree entirely that it can be annoying being unable to finish, I find this to be even more the case when you have hit a perfect approach to 2 foot and are not 'allowed' to take the birdie putt. It means you losse that happy, uplifting 'birdie' feeling.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Two foot sounds quite generous, I miss plenty of them!! :D

its usually less than 1 foot for gimmie's in the games I play (unless its pointless, i.e. you've lost but are compleying the course or are herrying to get round).

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Two foot sounds quite generous, I miss plenty of them!! :D

its usually less than 1 foot for gimmie's in the games I play (unless its pointless, i.e. you've lost but are compleying the course or are herrying to get round).
I was just about to say, round our course a 2 footer could have up to 6 inches of turn on it if hit gently.
Its not a given that 1 footers are conceeded etc, each putt should be taken on the merit "would I hole that 10/10?) Although friendly punts round for 9 holes etc is a slightly different matter though I still like to hole out and never ask for concessions.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
My old man always tells me before a friendly game not to give him anything. He says he'll never learn and he's right.

I only tend to give anythin less than a foot (a tap in) for the sake of speeding up play.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree entirely that it can be annoying being unable to finish, I find this to be even more the case when you have hit a perfect approach to 2 foot and are not 'allowed' to take the birdie putt. It means you losse that happy, uplifting 'birdie' feeling.

Quite. In our games it's customary amongst us that we don't do gimmes on birdie putts. Pars or worse are fine, but we like to see birdies into the hole.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
htl....what a good issue.

I hate being given putts, but you can't not take them and I tend to have a "practice" putt in matchplay after the hole has been decided.

I think we all know the truth about our standard of making short ones. One of my mates gives me everything under about 3 foot.....that's because I've never seen HIM miss one.

I've said before on here that I don't care for winning friendly matchplay games with gamesmanship and psychological mind bending. I give all putts (given the players standard) that I expect to be made. If I lose by a hole or two at the end because I've been generous, I don't mind.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite. In our games it's customary amongst us that we don't do gimmes on birdie putts. Pars or worse are fine, but we like to see birdies into the hole.

Yep! If (in a friendly with mates) I was given a birdie putt that was even 10% missable, I'd be really cross. On my birthday game, I knocked an 8 iron to 4 foot over the lake at the last. The game had already been decided and we were playing just to finish the card. I was pleased that no-one told me to "take it away".....if I'd missed it......that would have been bad! :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with the consensus on here. If it is for birdie or better it needs to be made especially with mates. However I'm all for giving an opponent a 2-3 foot putt with a bit of break in a proper match and then making him putt one from shorter at the next opportunity.

If it is a proper club knockout I will use the power of the gimme and any mental ploy (within the confines of the rules and whilst ensuring a certain level of decorum and good sportmanship - it is only a game after all and I can't be asked with these win at all cost merchants).

If I am playing on my own in the evenings I'll never give myself anything. I find it is ideal for making sure I do everything as I would in a medal. Mark and clean the ball, look at the line, put my ball back, go through my pre-shot routine, pick my spot and go.

On a Saturday roll up we generally go with the traditional inside the putter grip as a general rule of thumb which is fair all round. If the course is not busy or one of us is playing well and keeping score we'll let them hole out if they want to.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
In a serious match I always assume that my putt is not given until I get a clear indication from the opponents that it is a gimme. Some opponents will give, say, a 10ft putt when I have 2 putts to win the hole but we have all three putted from 10ft before so I never give these.

Bounce games are different: we sometimes decide before we start that everything goes in, mainly to get the practice for the next strokeplay round.

One thing I really dislike is people who will putt up to 2ft-ish and then turn round and say "is that ok". I always feel that the onus is on the non-putter to offer the gimme as opposed to the putter requesting one.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing I really dislike is people who will putt up to 2ft-ish and then turn round and say "is that ok". I always feel that the onus is on the non-putter to offer the gimme as opposed to the putter requesting one.

Oh yes....that old chestnut. Players fishing for gimmies get nought from me....and as for 2 putts for the hole....I'll always see the first one, 100% of the time.

Hmm.....SuperYachtWorld......just what I was trying to find to fill the gap in my life!!!

D

Deleted member 1147

I don't tend to mind gimmies but what I hate is when your opponant has had a mare and picks up your ball when your looking at birdie/eagle putts.

It happened friday in the foresomes - we were about 10 feet away in 2 on a par5 and as they hadn't reached the green in 5 shots when they got on the green one of them picked up our ball!:mad: