Gimmie (No Thanks??????)

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I am playing matchplay I usually make my oppo sink a couple of 'testers' just to get his measure. If he bottles one, then he has a long round ahead of him and if he bangs them in, then I know he his competent from the gimme distance.

On the flip side if I have played a great shot and am faced with an eagle putt I would like to be given the chance to sink it but if the shoe was on the other foot I would give a gimme to avoid my opponent getting a lift from a bare foot eagle.

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't tend to mind gimmies but what I hate is when your opponant has had a mare and picks up your ball when your looking at birdie/eagle putts.

It happened friday in the foresomes - we were about 10 feet away in 2 on a par5 and as they hadn't reached the green in 5 shots when they got on the green one of them picked up our ball!:mad:

I can see why you were upset, that is bang out of order.

Personally, I give nothing unless it is about a foot away. The greens I'm on have not yet settled, there are a few lumps and bumps that can catch anyone out ( and have me :mad: )

D

Deleted member 1147

If it's for par or bogey & your opponant is out of the hole its not so bad, but eagle putts are rare enough on your own let alone foresomes.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Not sure if this has been mentioned but gimmies help the greens as well by protection the hole from a meter radius and after a hundred or so people have trampled the same patch it wears fast.

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
the whole point to this majestic game is to get the ball in the hole...why not make up your round at the start and save yourself 3.5 to 4.5 hours...? i'm being facetious, but you get my point.
Shanker, I didn't know you had to accept it if offered...!

You HAVE to accept it! Section 3, Rule 2, 2.4
''A concession may not be declined or withdrawn''.

McCojac

Medal Winner
Visit site
The only time I will bother with Gimmes is a Match Play tie and I will give and not give varying length hoping to irritate or upset my opponent otherwise any other time I'll always putt out no matter what length it's good practice for a Medal round.