Getting ready for West Hill - Stableford scoring

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

I've only ever played one stableford game, so am a wee bit nervous about the West Hill game Monday. I'd hate to make a fool of myself (I'll let me swing take care of that part) ;)

As I understand it, as a 19 handicapper, I get one shot on each hole except SI18 where I get 2. I then get 4 points for a par (or birdie in my handicaps eyes), 3 for par, 2 for bogey, one for double? Or have I got that completely wrong?

Is it then solely down to me to add up the correct score, or do I get out of having to do maths????

Yours uselessly,

Dufferman

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You get 2 shots on stroke index 1 not 18 as this should be hardest so that's why you get 2 shots.

You just need to work out your nett score per hole.

Nett bogey 1 point
Nett par 2 points
Nett birdie 3 points
nett eagle 4 points

Its very simple, once you've scored a couple of holes you will be fine :thup:

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi All,

I've only ever played one stableford game, so am a wee bit nervous about the West Hill game Monday. I'd hate to make a fool of myself (I'll let me swing take care of that part) ;)

As I understand it, as a 19 handicapper, I get one shot on each hole except SI18 where I get 2. I then get 4 points for a par (or birdie in my handicaps eyes), 3 for par, 2 for bogey, one for double? Or have I got that completely wrong?

Is it then solely down to me to add up the correct score, or do I get out of having to do maths????

Yours uselessly,

Dufferman

Someone else will do your card, so you do need to be aware of the persons card you'll be marking and their handicap. If you explain your lack of confidence in the scoring I'm sure that they will tell you eg it's a 4 for 2 points (or whatever)

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
relax someone will show you the way to go, and if you are still not sure just write the gross score down, you can sit in the bar and work the points out afterwards.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You only need to note the Gross score - plus the Admin bits of Name and handicap, (and Comp and Date).

You get 2 shots on the 14th hole (SI1) and a shot on all the others.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I with you on this one Dufferman, I very rarely play stableford and it confuses my old grey matter, so I generally just mark the gross score for the player I'm marking for, then at the end of the round, use the stableford scoring app I have to get the correct points.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
As Foxholer says, there is no requirement to record anything other than gross score for the hole.
Yes just make sure you put the correct gross score down. Also remember it is a shotgun start, so your first hole may not be the first. Can be embarrassing if you don't realise until half way round.:eek: Everyone is very friendly so any problems just ask.

Of course if you end up with 45 points we may all turn on you.:whistle:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can mark my card Dufferman! :)

That was a 7 for 3 points thanks ;)

Relax mate, everyone will point fingers and ridicule you........I mean help you ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Add the shots you get to each hole, that is then your PAR and you get 2 points for that

eg:
You play a par 3 that you get 1 shot... so it's now a par 4 for you (worth 2pts) if you do it in 3 then you get an extra point, if you do it in 5 then you get one less

You play a par 4 that you get two shots, it's now a par 6 (worth 2pts) if you do it in 5 then you get 3pts if you do it in 4 shots you get 4pts.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Add the shots you get to each hole, that is then your PAR and you get 2 points for that

eg:
You play a par 3 that you get 1 shot... so it's now a par 4 for you (worth 2pts) if you do it in 3 then you get an extra point, if you do it in 5 then you get one less

You play a par 4 that you get two shots, it's now a par 6 (worth 2pts) if you do it in 5 then you get 3pts if you do it in 4 shots you get 4pts.

That's more confusing then this description of cricket:-

"You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side thats in, goes out. And when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out,and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man goes out and goes in, and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men are out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including the two men called umpires who stay out all the time."

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

eg:

Dufferman - Just when you probably thought from the previous posts how simple stableford scoring is, this comes along. :eek: :eek:

Ignore it!!

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
All this talk has got me excited chaps, only 4 days and counting!
Good luck to all and can't wait to meet you all and put faces to your names!
Cheers

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi All,

Yours uselessly,

Dufferman

It's easy to pick up, let the others in your group lead! If in doubt record the gross scores, there will be plenty of time to check the cards whilst waiting for the group in front finding their balls in the heather. :eek:

I'd be more concerned about bringing some sandwiches and a flask in preparation for your 5 hour round.:D

You should look at embracing stableford, it's more fun and less hassle than putting together a gross score every round.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surprised no one has yet mentioned....

225px-The_Blob_poster.jpg

AKA nul points :D