Getting Old - How worried are you and options?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Watched the Ed Ball’s programmes the other week and Panorama tonight. Nothing political here but getting old is something that affect us all. Cost is a major problem for care in older age and for some of us it is closer than we think.

Whether we make it into old age or not.
This is where I deploy Richard Dawkins.

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born.
The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia.
Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people.
In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here."

He intends to have this read at his funeral.
The quote is from the first chapter of his book Unweaving the Rainbow.

Brads

Visit site
Was thinking about this the other day. My old man died a few weeks back at 75 so I suppose that was the reason.

I'm 54 and have brutal tinnitus, arthritis in one foot, both hips and both hands, I have bulging discs and a back made from distilled pain, and glaucoma (in one eye, but no ones that lucky)

When I totted it up, I thought, sod it, I'm retiring at 55 and learning to play golf, I'll worry about it when I have to. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I need someone to do basic things for me it’s time to call it a day.
That’s no sort of life. For both sides!
My mum and dad both had dementia that does worry me.
I would like my care plan to have an opt out of this world clause in .
It’s criminal you can’t plan your own end on your own terms while you still have the capacity to do so.
I am sure that will come but not quite early enough to help thousands who would opt for it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My lads have been told to tie me to my motorbike and fire me into the sea.
It's a glorious image but one that could never happen in reality. Your lads would go to prison and no parent would wish that for their child. I've had aunties and uncles make similar bold statements but when you remind them of the consequences it has quite a sobering effect. I'm with @clubchamp98, post #29 but who knows when that may come into effect.