Getting Old - How worried are you and options?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you are lucky enough to be remembered on a tombstone it might give your date of birth and your date of death with a hyphen in between.
That hyphen represents your whole life.
You don't say!

I like this one:

"If you work and do your best you'll get the sack like all the rest. On your tombstone neatly lacquered 'Not just dead but bloody knackered' "

Or as on Spike Milligan's:
"I told them I was ill"

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
With my MiL being 91, though ageing but still relatively fit and mobile, and my 64 yr old BiL who has serious long covid symptoms and currently really weak and clobbered, and living at home with my MiL, there isn’t that much room at the moment for any concerns with ageing that me or my Mrs might have.

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
With my MiL being 91, though ageing but still relatively fit and mobile, and my 64 yr old BiL who had serious long covid symptoms and currently really weak and clobbered, and living at home with my MiL, there isn’t that much room at the moment for any concerns with ageing that me or my Mrs might have.
:cry::cry: Keep the faith Hugh xx

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
:cry::cry: Keep the faith Hugh xx
Going up to MiLs this week to sort them out for Christmas. BiL should be able to ‘care’ for his mum, and she really needs support these days, but long covid has so clobbered him that in some ways she is now caring for him…We hope and pray that he recovers to a degree of wellness and fitness, but we are very concerned for him - and so for them both.

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
A little worried as both parents dies in their early 70's. I do worry about getting old as HID and I don't have kids and so no-one to look after us or at least help. We both have com-morbidities which also nags away. Given my mental health isn't/hasn't been in a great place in the last 18 months it isn't something I try to dwell on. I need to look at my NHS pension and think about adding to the pot

If you're ever struggling with your mental health and fancy a game and beer, let me know. I'm not far away from Berkshire (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Going up to MiLs this week to sort them out for Christmas. BiL should be able to ‘care’ for his mum, and she really needs support these days, but long covid has so clobbered him that in some ways she is now caring for him…We hope and pray that he recovers to a degree of wellness and fitness, but we are very concerned for him - and so for them both.
Not good. Having to stay up here and try and sort things for BiL to get a GP f2f appointment and get him to it. GP has said symptoms suggest long covid…but that was by telephone…and we fear he is ‘hiding’ behind that ‘symptomatic diagnosis’. So v worrying.

And as an aside we wonder how many others with potentially serious underlying conditions are ‘hiding’ behind thinking long covid…fear is a very strong denier…

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
There is a terrible truth about life and it was described by Charles Darwin.
We are merely the products of evolution. Humans may even be the end product but only time will tell.
Evolution works off the principle that any change found to be advantageous for survival will be preserved and passed on.

For life to continue to evolve all individuals need to suffer and die, having passed their information (genes) to the next generation.
Cruelty and suffering from the past is how we arrived here, but sooner or later it becomes our turn.

Modern medicine helps to alleviate our suffering, but there is even a problem with this.
Potentially it stores up even greater problems for the next generation.

If you don't understand Darwinism and Neo Darwinism then you don't understand why we suffer and die.
It is not about the individual, it is about the gene, and genes don't care what happens to us.
Only favourable genes survive to program their way down the generations.
It means that we are only their temporary throw away vehicles.

This may not be easy to accept but I find it rewarding to know.
If you get old you are privileged for sure.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
We are merely the products of evolution. Humans may even be the end product but only time will tell.
Evolution works off the principle that any change found to be advantageous for survival will be preserved and passed on.

For life to continue to evolve all individuals need to suffer and die, having passed their information (genes) to the next generation.
Cruelty and suffering from the past is how we arrived here, but sooner or later it becomes our turn.

Modern medicine helps to alleviate our suffering, but there is even a problem with this.

If you don't understand Darwinism and Neo Darwinism then you don't understand why we suffer and die.
It is not about the individual, it is about the gene, and genes don't care what happens to us.

Happy and uplifting soul you are ??

I think I’ll break out my snow patrol records and really cheer myself up

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Good job there's Doombar to offset the misery.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no fear of dying that happens to us all,what I do worry about is not being around for my wife and kids.
My wife will survive I have no worries about that.
I just want to be around to protect my kids.
The world is turning nasty and imo will continue to do so,if I can help them stay safe and put my mind at ease by being around then so be it.
If I’m not I worry for them.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have no fear of dying that happens to us all,what I do worry about is not being around for my wife and kids.
My wife will survive I have no worries about that.
I just want to be around to protect my kids.
The world is turning nasty and imo will continue to do so,if I can help them stay safe and put my mind at ease by being around then so be it.
If I’m not I worry for them.
You won't be able to worry about them if you're not.

I do understand your concerns, it's only natural as a parent. However don't be blinded by the bad things, they've always been there, also the World if full of beauty, goodness love and people that strive to achieve great things. All you can do is give your kids the morals and wisdom that will help them forge their own path in life.