Getting Old - How worried are you and options?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve had a brush with illness this year, having been diagnosed with prostate cancer in the early summer. I’ve had surgery and, thankfully, appear to be on the mend with a positive prognosis.

What it has done is help me see myself in a whole new light. My response to the diagnosis, treatment and everything attached to it came as a really positive and pleasant surprise. I have also learned a lot about family and friends, sadly not all of it good.

The real positive of this for me has been that I am no longer afraid of death. I have faced my biggest fear, cancer, head on and I know it needn’t be a death sentence. And, for all their critics, I can assure everyone that we have a fabulous NHS. Unbelievable. The care I have been given throughout has been fabulous.

So, getting old no longer worries me. I am now enjoying planning for the future, have a totally different perspective on life, and death, and will genuinely squeeze every ounce of enjoyment I can out of the years I am blessed to have left.

I’m not one for clichés, but we have one life. I intend to live mine without worrying about things I can’t control.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not good. Having to stay up here and try and sort things for BiL to get a GP f2f appointment and get him to it. GP has said symptoms suggest long covid…but that was by telephone…and we fear he is ‘hiding’ behind that ‘symptomatic diagnosis’. So v worrying.

And as an aside we wonder how many others with potentially serious underlying conditions are ‘hiding’ behind thinking long covid…fear is a very strong denier…

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know lots of people who are coughing up green mucus since getting their jabs, me included, hopefully not too serious.

Recently, or since their first or second ones. I know a few who've had the same and it keeps coming back. Started after second jabs for them.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Recently, or since their first or second ones. I know a few who've had the same and it keeps coming back. Started after second jabs for them.
I've had it for a long time, I seem to remember posting about it, but can't find it.
It includded some comments from Ethan.
Update, just found my prescription history dated 18/3/2020 , Memetasone nasal spray.
Diagnosed by phone appointment.

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
So the 'global moderator' here would rather listen to Snow Patrol than read Darwin and Dawkins.
I simply can't imagine dying without knowing what life really was and how it favoured me and not someone else.
Had my parents not met then I wouldn't be here.
Their parents had to meet and so on back for millions of years.
Against those truly astronomical odds it is us who are here.
What don't you understand about that?
It's actually the greatest revelation of all if you can only find time to understand it.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Yes, back in October- had the second jab. Next day sore throat, next day nose full of mucous. Just kept coming, went on to windpipe. Kept coughing up. Went on and on. After couple days went for pcr test- negative.
Ten days later it cleared. I put it down to a cold. But now I wonder....
If it was the jab, small price to pay for protection.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So the 'global moderator' here would rather listen to Snow Patrol than read Darwin and Dawkins.
I simply can't imagine dying without knowing what life really was and how it favoured me and not someone else.
It's actually the greatest revelation of all if you can only find time to understand it.

We are on about getting old, Not WHS ??

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's actually the greatest revelation of all if you can only find time to understand it

It's only the fact that you have beaten those odds that you're here and able to ask the question, so it's a bit of a fait accomplis really and nothing to get excited about.
(Or you could try and ask one of the almost infinite number of people/beings who haven't beaten the odds, then you might get some of the responses that you're looking for)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

The Global Moderator has read several books by Richard Dawkins, had a brush with The Reaper 4 years ago ( I Don’t Fear Him), but still manages to maintain a cheery outlook on life.

It is what you make it

The day I lose my sense of humour and the ridiculous is the day I get put in my box

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The Global Moderator has read several books by Richard Dawkins, had a brush with The Reaper 4 years ago ( I Don’t Fear Him), but still manages to maintain a cheery outlook on life.

It is what you make it

The day I lose my sense of humour and the ridiculous is the day I get put in my box
Always look on the bright side of...

I'll get me cloak.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Does listening to Genesis count for knowing where you’re from?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
What brush did you have with him?

To understand more about why we live - age- die you would also need to read Peter Atkins. I feel sure as a global moderator (how immodest can a person get?) you know all about him too.
While Darwin and Dawkins provide the biology, Atkins provides the physical chemistry.

Ageing is then down to energy. In any system there is a tendency for energy to disperse over time.
In terms of the body, as we get older we get colder, until all the energy is gone except in the form of dead matter which used to be us.

Just as we came out of the darkness we re-enter it at a time unknown.
Strange how we prefer to bury the truth and live in a world of fantasy rather than explore the reality.
If you have a better explanation beyond physics and biology for living and dying, then let's hear it.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The brush is well documented on here, suffice to say, I shouldn’t be here, but I am

The Global Mod moniker is bestowed by GM, it’s out of my control, all the mods have the same title.

We are born, we live, we die
The stuff that happens in the “live” bit is largely down to where we are born and to whom.
All I know is I am lucky to have had the chances in life that many do not have, I have a house, a job, a loving relationship, kids that are making their own way and making me proud.a pension, my health is restored and I am still able to play golf

What do I win? ??

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
The brush is well documented on here, suffice to say, I shouldn’t be here, but I am
Where? Post the link.

All I know is I am lucky to have had the chances in life that many do not have, I have a house, a job, a loving relationship, kids that are making their own way and making me proud.a pension, my health is restored and I am still able to play golf
Lucky you. My life changed for the worse when I was 8 and taken away from home, and missed over 1 year of education, just at the time when my brain was developing.
I wish I could go back and sue those responsible, but that's what it was like in the 1950's.

What do I win? ??
A silver spoon?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

The Global Mod moniker is bestowed by GM, it’s out of my control, all the mods have the same title.

We are born, we live, we die
The stuff that happens in the “live” bit is largely down to where we are born and to whom.

What do I win? ??

Admiration for an intelligent , responsible and balanced attitude.
Missing in so many.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slight more worried today after getting my CT scan results.
Seemingly I have a 68% lesion in the proximal left anterior artery, calcified plaque in the LAD.
Cardiologist thinking of a lipid lowering agent, type yet to be decided.
Hopefully that'll work, if not perhaps a stent will be needed , Merry Xmas, fingers crossed :eek:.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Slight more worried today after getting my CT scan results.
Seemingly I have a 68% lesion in the proximal left anterior artery, calcified plaque in the LAD.
Cardiologist thinking of a lipid lowering agent, type yet to be decided.
Hopefully that'll work, if not perhaps a stent will be needed , Merry Xmas, fingers crossed :eek:.
Look after yourself Billy…