Getting Old - How worried are you and options?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Slight more worried today after getting my CT scan results.
Seemingly I have a 68% lesion in the proximal left anterior artery, calcified plaque in the LAD.
Cardiologist thinking of a lipid lowering agent, type yet to be decided.
Hopefully that'll work, if not perhaps a stent will be needed , Merry Xmas, fingers crossed :eek:.
I think lipid lowering agents are statins

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where? Post the link.

Lucky you. My life changed for the worse when I was 8 and taken away from home, and missed over 1 year of education, just at the time when my brain was developing.
I wish I could go back and sue those responsible, but that's what it was like in the 1950's.

A silver spoon?
I suspect Fragger is too polite to give you the appropriate response ...

Suffice to say, many of us remember it and were mightily relieved at the outcome. If you want the episode dug up again, may I suggest you buy a spade and do your own digging.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Where? Post the link.

Lucky you. My life changed for the worse when I was 8 and taken away from home, and missed over 1 year of education, just at the time when my brain was developing.
I wish I could go back and sue those responsible, but that's what it was like in the 1950's.

A silver spoon?

Is there a ? of the year award?

If not can we have one and award it to this guy?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the 'global moderator' here would rather listen to Snow Patrol than read Darwin and Dawkins.
I simply can't imagine dying without knowing what life really was and how it favoured me and not someone else.
Had my parents not met then I wouldn't be here.
Their parents had to meet and so on back for millions of years.
Against those truly astronomical odds it is us who are here.
What don't you understand about that?
It's actually the greatest revelation of all if you can only find time to understand it.

I am reminded of my dad, his platoon was hit by a shell in WWII he was the only one to survive. My brother and I were born after after the war.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Slight more worried today after getting my CT scan results.
Seemingly I have a 68% lesion in the proximal left anterior artery, calcified plaque in the LAD.
Cardiologist thinking of a lipid lowering agent, type yet to be decided.
Hopefully that'll work, if not perhaps a stent will be needed , Merry Xmas, fingers crossed :eek:.

A stent is nowt to worry about Billy, and you’ll feel great afterwards.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There is a terrible truth about life and it was described by Charles Darwin.
We are merely the products of evolution. Humans may even be the end product but only time will tell.
Evolution works off the principle that any change found to be advantageous for survival will be preserved and passed on.

For life to continue to evolve all individuals need to suffer and die, having passed their information (genes) to the next generation.
Cruelty and suffering from the past is how we arrived here, but sooner or later it becomes our turn.

Modern medicine helps to alleviate our suffering, but there is even a problem with this.
Potentially it stores up even greater problems for the next generation.

If you don't understand Darwinism and Neo Darwinism then you don't understand why we suffer and die.
It is not about the individual, it is about the gene, and genes don't care what happens to us.
Only favourable genes survive to program their way down the generations.
It means that we are only their temporary throw away vehicles.

This may not be easy to accept but I find it rewarding to know.
If you get old you are privileged for sure.

If only favourable genes survive, how do you explain handicapped children, i.e. how did they end up being born when their genes are flawed? How do you explain how handicapped adults can give birth to children without a handicap?

Personally, I believe we have a limited time in our lives and I’m a lot closer to the end than the beginning. I don’t need to waste what time I have reading up on how and why I’m here. If reading up on it gives you a ‘buzz’ good for you, but I don’t need that to enlighten, and fulfill, my life. Good company, and a good craic will do for me.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
If only favourable genes survive, how do you explain handicapped children, i.e. how did they end up being born when their genes are flawed? How do you explain how handicapped adults can give birth to children without a handicap?
It's all about inheritance and percentages.
You inherit 50% of your genes from mother and 50% from father. 25% from each grandparent and so on.
For example, if both parents have achondroplasia (genes for dwarfism), the chance for them, together, to have a child with normal stature is 25 percent. Their chance of having a child with achondroplasia is 50 percent.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am reminded of my dad, his platoon was hit by a shell in WWII he was the only one to survive. My brother and I were born after after the war.
A classic case. The zoologist Desmond Morris (now 93) claims something similar which altered his family history.
Life is a bit like a lottery.
As an analogy, all of us alive today have won the jackpot in the Euro millions.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A classic case. The zoologist Desmond Morris (now 93) claims something similar which altered his family history.
I think they must have my address wrong as I've not received my prize money.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Where? Post the link.

A silver spoon?

A silver spoon?
Dad was the son of a butcher from Southport, mum was the daughter of a taxi driver from London who passed when she was 18.
Dad was a civil servant who worked and studied hard and became a tax inspector, mum was an auxiliary nurse at a local geriatric hospital, doing nights, then later worked at a greasy spoon, then a doctors receptionist.

So in answer to your question, no not a hint of a silver spoon.

Sorry to hear of your experiences, they can affect an individual’s outlook on life

RichA

Visit site
Forget Darwin, Dawkins and Morris. You really need to read some Hargreaves. To quote from one of his texts that was actually serialised on television, "I think somebody needs a tickle!"

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Forget Darwin, Dawkins and Morris. You really need to read some Hargreaves. To quote from one of his texts that was actually serialised on television, "I think somebody needs a tickle!"
Okay, so when it comes to why we suffer, grow old and die then explain why you think Darwin, Dawkins, Morris (and Atkins) are wrong.
I'll be waiting for your replies.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Mega woooooosssshhhhhhhhhh ? Is that the best the Global Moderator can come up with??

So let me put it another way.
If Darwin, Dawkins, Morris (and Atkins) are wrong then who do you trust to give you an answer?
Would you, for instance trust what a faith leader is telling you or would you trust a scientist?
Instinct will tell you they can't both be right.
Your options on getting old depend largely on your physical and mental health but most of all on your brain and how it changes over the years.

RichA

Visit site
Okay, so when it comes to why we suffer, grow old and die then explain why you think Darwin, Dawkins, Morris (and Atkins) are wrong.
I'll be waiting for your replies.
I don't necessarily think any of them are wrong and didn't suggest so.
Darwin made a discovery that went against everything that he believed, but followed it through because he was prepared to challenge what he thought he knew.
When I was young, I used to describe myself as an atheist. I watched a talk by Dawkins on TV, thinking it would speak to me. I found that he came across as arrogant, demeaning of those who disagreed with him and so zealous in his atheism that I instantly dropped my own label in favour of "no religion."
You might be against belief systems based on the supernatural, but why actively set yourself against the vast majority of your fellow humans?
Live and let live. If someone takes a crumb of comfort believing that the ones they love may go to a better place after death, who are you or I to argue with them if it does us no harm.
As Hargreaves would say, "Shazam!"

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I don't necessarily think any of them are wrong and didn't suggest so.
Darwin made a discovery that went against everything that he believed, but followed it through because he was prepared to challenge what he thought he knew.
When I was young, I used to describe myself as an atheist. I watched a talk by Dawkins on TV, thinking it would speak to me. I found that he came across as arrogant, demeaning of those who disagreed with him and so zealous in his atheism that I instantly dropped my own label in favour of "no religion."
You might be against belief systems based on the supernatural, but why actively set yourself against the vast majority of your fellow humans?
Live and let live. If someone takes a crumb of comfort believing that the ones they love may go to a better place after death, who are you or I to argue with them if it does us no harm.
As Hargreaves would say, "Shazam!"

I agree completely with everything you say from "If someone takes....", but that isn't an argument against the veracity of what you saw Dawkins saying, it is a dislike of his attitude to people who "believe". ( which ,if as described, you were right to do)
Different things!
Personally, I've never seen him "perform"

In any event, you're still in the "No" camp, as I am now.?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
He probably wasn't the first to suspect how evolution happened, but he was the first to give a detailed explanation. It was and still is a dangerous idea that life forms change over time and are still doing so.
When I was young, I used to describe myself as an atheist. I watched a talk by Dawkins on TV, thinking it would speak to me. I found that he came across as arrogant, demeaning of those who disagreed with him and so
zealous in his atheism that I instantly dropped my own label in favour of "no religion."
When I was young I read Desmond Morris, and what a brain tonic that was. A man who was able to use biological science against accepted wisdom.
You need to remember that faith cannot be falsified. What I like about science is that it can be falsified in order to improve understanding.
Nobody has ever been able to prove the supernatural or the paranormal (full stop)
I won't argue with that, but such a statement is almost certainly delusional. Our bodies are made of atoms which are constantly passing through us and entering into other arrangements.