Getting it right

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is your club getting it right on its comps.

I play with between 12 and 26 players most weekends and some Thursdays in the summer and if it’s not a pay up front comp we will draw cards.

One thing that has started to slightly grate is excuses you get to not enter the comp.
I will enter regardless.

It ranges from
Too many comps
Too many qualifiers
Too wet
Too windy
Too wet and windy
Don’t like medals
Don’t do bogeys
Don’t want to get cut( love this one,like they can just switch it on.

I suspect the comp secretary can’t win whatever he does.

Must admit playing the bogey yesterday was horrible just doesn’t focus my mind for some reason.

Has your club got it right when it comes to comps.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Every Saturday is a comp. There are no doubt loads more in the week for Seniors. They recently changed trhe rule to make playing in the comp non compulsory, as long as you go out in the same format as everyone else.

This was a good move as, for those folk working full time, if they didnt play on Sunday or midweek, the only golf they played was a comp. (like me)

What (I think) we get very wrong is the lack of many "drawn" comps... folk just play with the same people every week. Doesnt help new members integrate etc

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a comp every week. If its not an official club comp (ie the "monthly medal" or a named trophy) then there will be a pro-shop comp organised by, err... the pro. All will be qualifiers unless conditions don't allow it.

Most guys l play with (similar sized group to the OP) will enter the club comps but only about half will enter the pro-shops. Reasons tend to be either "l don't want another point 1", or "lt's nice to relax from time to time without an official card in your hand"

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i cant see the reasoning behind wanting to relax playing golf without a card ,do these people just not try to play their best when no card is in their grubby paws.
i try and play my best whatever ,if im playing im trying.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Club i left last year did it pretty well. Each month you had a weekend medal (alternated sat/sun) and then in summer you had board comps across a wide variety of formats most of the other weekends ( prob half were individual and half were pairs or team). Each month there was also a midweek medal and a midweek stableford (and you could play any day of the week not just on say a tuesday morning as some clubs are). On top of this there were also Seniors comps throughout the week. There was enough comps available without feeling you had to play comp golf every time you played at a weekend

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i cant see the reasoning behind wanting to relax playing golf without a card ,do these people just not try to play their best when no card is in their grubby paws.
i try and play my best whatever ,if im playing im trying.

for me its a case of wanting to play matchplay rather than singles strokeplay every time I play

D

Deleted member 16999

Competitions every saturday and sunday, 52 weeks of the year.
Captains Cards every wednesday and friday during the summer.
Seniors/Ladies/Juniors run their own schedules.
Most comps stableford or 4BBB, very few Stroke comps, firmly believe our Cat 1’s get a bum deal.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
It's massively varied at the clubs I'm a member at with regards to the amount of competitions however never an issue getting plenty of entrants, not really an issue we face. Very varied in terms of formats at all clubs from medals, stabs to 4bbb all get similar turn outs.

2 clubs hold 1 weekend comp and then a midweek fiddle arranged by members.

1st club - 7-11am reservation for members at one club always fully booked up and i'd say 90% play in the comp whatever it is.
2nd club - 7 - 1.30pm reservation for members and i'd say 75% play in the comp.

3rd club is in another league we have sat and sun comps plus a midweek medal weekend comps are always full with everybody participating and the midweek usually gets about 60% booking due to people with work commitments.

They have also set-up Tuesday and Friday social events, Tuesdays is 2.30pm start stableford which starts this upcoming tuesday. Friday is 9 holes for social purposes followed by BBQ and Killer on the snooker table.

There is also a member run fiddle on mondays so there is only thursdays with no comp or social event.

Always high turn out and participation, a lot pf people obviously don't play in every event every week but It all seems to even out well.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I think we do it pretty well.

The main club committee organize mixed gender qualifying comps most Sundays...and a qualifier every third Thursday so that 5 day members can maintain a handicap 5 day members. Seniors manage their own midweek comps many of which are qualifiers played off the yellows and the dedicated Ladies section also organize their own comps....though they are also free to play in Sunday comps as well if they are 7 day members (we have several ladies that like to play with their other halves on Sundays).

Comps are played in blocks of tee times so there is no mixing of comp/non-comp players out on the course and the Sunday comps are "semi-drawn" in that folks can express a preference for an early/middle or late tee time but within those constraints the groupings are then randomly drawn. This does help new members integrate faster.

Id say that a significant majority of the competition field each week are very regular competition entrants though field sizes at the moment are quite low...but that's more a reflection of the reduced size of club membership as it is due to comps being unpopular for whatever reason.

D

Deleted member 21258

I think all ordinary comps should be voluntary and non gender based, why should you be made to enter a comp for say a Saturday morning tee time, if you have already paid your membership fees.

This is partly reflected in where I would become a member of, the comps tend to be voluntary or only short periods of the days tee times. I am not a great lover of comps, rather play social games/matchplay with playing partners.

Most of the clubs have a comp on every week(some team, some individual), so copes with people who does or does not wish to enter in a comp and a nice balance.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think we do it pretty well.

The main club committee organize mixed gender qualifying comps most Sundays...and a qualifier every third Thursday so that 5 day members can maintain a handicap 5 day members. Seniors manage their own midweek comps many of which are qualifiers played off the yellows and the dedicated Ladies section also organize their own comps....though they are also free to play in Sunday comps as well if they are 7 day members (we have several ladies that like to play with their other halves on Sundays).

Comps are played in blocks of tee times so there is no mixing of comp/non-comp players out on the course and the Sunday comps are "semi-drawn" in that folks can express a preference for an early/middle or late tee time but within those constraints the groupings are then randomly drawn. This does help new members integrate faster.

Id say that a significant majority of the competition field each week are very regular competition entrants though field sizes at the moment are quite low...but that's more a reflection of the reduced size of club membership as it is due to comps being unpopular for whatever reason.

just 1 midweek comp per month on a fixed day for 5 day members, just to enable them to keep their handicap active? thats comes across as hugely limited to me and as someone who plays less on a weekend (and isnt a senior) that would be a massive deterrent to me

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
i cant see the reasoning behind wanting to relax playing golf without a card ,do these people just not try to play their best when no card is in their grubby paws. try and play my best whatever ,if im playing im trying.

Never been out on a summer afternoon after a tough day at work with a light bag and just played for the fun of it? Enyoing the sun and the scenry? Trying different shots, shapes etc? ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saturdays are one comp a month with an extra one during the summer and priority for tee slots is given to those playing in the comp so if you want to play in the morning on a Saturday you will play a lot of comps. Ladies comp on the same day.

Sunday, Thursday and Friday (all every other week) comps are optional.

Seniors comp every other Monday morning (always fully booked) and Ladies comp nearly every Tuesday, optional.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
just 1 midweek comp per month on a fixed day for 5 day members, just to enable them to keep their handicap active? thats comes across as hugely limited to me and as someone who plays less on a weekend (and isnt a senior) that would be a massive deterrent to me
Pretty much what we have.
Plenty of weekend comps all year round....we get 6.
Last one was announced so late that only two of us entered.
Winners of midweek comps can qualify for Board events...but as these Board comps are at weekends and 5day members can't play weekend comps, even if they pay a green fee.
The Seniors have, almost, their own club within the club. They run quite a few qualifiers but they tend to make a day, or most a day, of the comp.
So they don't start until 9.30/10. As I'm still working, we're at the turn before then.
So playing with the Seniors isn't a viable option.
To be honest, I've played a lot of competition golf down the years and it's not the main reason I play these days.
It does grate a little but we knew about it when we joined.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have to book on PSI to be entered into the drawn times and we are getting a few that are then not turning up on the day. Our captain is preparing to start getting tough with a few regular no shows, especially when the weather is iffy. I like the balance of comps we have and the way they are run so I have no particular gripes

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saturday is stableford off the yellows. Sunday is strokeplay off the whites, they are the comps with trophies. Tuesday is stableford off the yellows. The club doesn't particularly mix up the formats.

That seems fine to me, you can take your pick at the weekend or play both if you are keen, or single 😄.

We don't have a large membership, don't have a large number playing the comps, so members, both sexes, can play the course on Saturday and Sunday and not be in the comps. As it happens the ladies run their weekly medal on a Saturday morning, they have a 2hr slot booked out for them exclusively.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The more comps you play the truer the reflection is of your game vs handicap.
A lot of people don’t like the 0.1’s you get from playing lots of comps. Means nothing to me. A Cat1 player that is scared of playing comps should stop playing.
We have comps every weekend. Not every sat and Sun but not far off. 5 x 0.1’s and a 0.3 cut so far this year

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hear every excuse in the book for people not playing in comps.

Many guys play off say a 12 handicap and proud of that. Entering comps is just going to be a weekly 0.1 until they up to a truer handicap, so they dont bother entering and keep their vanity handicap.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’m only a 5 day member and have the opportunity to play 1 medal and 1 stableford a month. Having 2 kids and working full time means if I manage to play half of them I’m doing well.

Entered 10 last year, 4 of which were teeing off an hour after a night shift finishing. Not ideal for me.

The sooner I can play more, the better.