Genesis Open zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah that was a joke. 1.5ft putt and he's plumb bobbing it. GET ON WITH IT.

Can't help but think about All Day's 1ft putt to finish the BMW he was 5 clear and it was for a birdie to win by 6 and he took a full minute to read and line it up then take his stance adjust his grip before finally taking it back. FIVE CLEAR?!?!?! he could have missed it and the next 3 and still won the tournament forgetting the fact that it was only a foot long.

D

Deleted member 15344

This could be a cracking finish - 4/5 players in it

Woods - military golf at the moment , all over the place

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok, so JB takes his time. But he doesn't care because he just won $1.3 million and got entry into next week's WGC, which has no cut and will still earn $50k even with a DFL.

The real villain here is the officials and referees who steadfastly refused to put the final group on the clock.

If I were JT and Scott - I'd have taken a seat at one of the tees and refused to hit until their group were on the clock and Holmes would have had 40 seconds to play - and they could have kept him on the clock by not catching up with the group in front (which they were never going to do)

Ok, so it may have been a snidey move, but it would have made a big point and probably been successful given JT and Scott's standing in the game.

I'd guess the tournament just doesn't want the controversy of having to penalise someone on the 72nd hole and effectively handing the tournament to someone else because a player has taken 50 seconds over a putt. Which is fair enough, I can see why they'd want to avoid that. You'd then get people timing the 270 shots the other guy hit over the week and demonstrating how incompetent the officials are (which they basically are). But it went too far yesterday.

Probably they are also looking at the Tiger factor and that when he is in contention he can take a good 90 to 100 seconds stalking a putt. They very clearly do not want a situation where they put Tiger on the clock and he is in contention. Viewers in the states would lose their nut.

But it is painful to watch and for the final round to take 6 hours!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
For TV purposes, I'd propose the following;

Official with every group at the weekend times all shots (25 to 35 groups, depending on format). The usual... 50 seconds for the 1st guy, 40 thereafter. Even change it to 60 for the 1st guy. It shouldn't take more than 30 for the 2nd or 3rd guys to play.
Guys can call a few time outs say, 2 or 3 a round if they want to discuss options or want to really grind over a putt.
A bad time effectively burns a timeout - so no need to actually say 'timeout'.
As well as a 1 stroke penalty, a bad time also carries a $25,000 to $50,000 fine (depending on the tournament purse).
A few fines each week would easily pay for the cost of additional officials.
If you are short of officials then hold them back for the later groups who are playing for more cash, and also effecting the broadcast.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Grant, what you suggest re Scott and JT, is what Koepka was talking about the other week. He mentioned taking a bathroom break and just sitting there killing time. He waits so long that they get put on the clock. He is fine with that as he plays quickly enough but it speeds up the others in the group. Perhaps we need someone to do it more obviously to make a point.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Ok, so JB takes his time. But he doesn't care because he just won $1.3 million and got entry into next week's WGC, which has no cut and will still earn $50k even with a DFL.

The real villain here is the officials and referees who steadfastly refused to put the final group on the clock.

If I were JT and Scott - I'd have taken a seat at one of the tees and refused to hit until their group were on the clock and Holmes would have had 40 seconds to play - and they could have kept him on the clock by not catching up with the group in front (which they were never going to do)

Ok, so it may have been a snidey move, but it would have made a big point and probably been successful given JT and Scott's standing in the game.

I'd guess the tournament just doesn't want the controversy of having to penalise someone on the 72nd hole and effectively handing the tournament to someone else because a player has taken 50 seconds over a putt. Which is fair enough, I can see why they'd want to avoid that. You'd then get people timing the 270 shots the other guy hit over the week and demonstrating how incompetent the officials are (which they basically are). But it went too far yesterday.

Probably they are also looking at the Tiger factor and that when he is in contention he can take a good 90 to 100 seconds stalking a putt. They very clearly do not want a situation where they put Tiger on the clock and he is in contention. Viewers in the states would lose their nut.

But it is painful to watch and for the final round to take 6 hours!

Agree, I think the best way to emphasize the ridiculous time JB takes is to do a Rory Sabbatini when he walked onto the green while Ben Crane was still farting about over his approach. Sabbatini actually managed to walk all the way to the green before Crane had hit! It was incredible.