Genesis Open zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
That putt was shocking, just as you thought he was going to hit it he stood off to double check the read.

Cantlay out the bunker was a joke as well.

One warning then two shot penalty has got to come in soon, it's becoming hard to watch.

D

Deleted member 21258

Got to watch Bubba, just the swing/shot tracer is a joy to watch. Hope he comes back this year.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I found cantley more annoying than na, but that's just a personal thing I guess. When he was in one bunker I genuinely thought my stream was looping, he must have performed at least 10 shuffles.

Bubba is obviously a complicated soul, but his ability to play skillful golf and his lag putting were fantastic. It's a real shame that more tournament venues don't make players hit so many different shots.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just...... HIT...... it!! Aaaaaaargh!

Looking like Cantlay and Na in a playoff, probably continuing into tomorrow! :mad:

Glad it wasn't just me watching Cantlay do his shuffling and wanting him to just get on with it :)

There was one very straightforward level chip from the first cut rough maybe 10 paces to the side of the green - even I could see it was straightforward - and it was shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.....and then he got it WRONG!!! :)

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That putt was shocking, just as you thought he was going to hit it he stood off to double check the read.

Cantlay out the bunker was a joke as well.

One warning then two shot penalty has got to come in soon, it's becoming hard to watch.

I wonder how much of Na's faffing about on that putt was to do with changing his mind on the line - albeit the change of mind was tiny, and then have to do minute adjustments to so alignment mark on his ball to accommodate his change of mind. I've a mate who fails with this. His alignment line on his ball has to be exactly aligned with the line of his putt or how he sees it - and is forever bobbing up an down tweaking the ball.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I do wonder if some of these players are slightly on the spectrum for obsessive disorders. Not enough to become major issues in normal life but in a pressure situation, where routine is key their mind kinda gets stuck. The worst slow players are likely in desperate need of a good sports psychologist.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I do wonder if some of these players are slightly on the spectrum for obsessive disorders. Not enough to become major issues in normal life but in a pressure situation, where routine is key their mind kinda gets stuck. The worst slow players are likely in desperate need of a good sports psychologist.

There may be case of OCD among them. I know people who if something gets in their head they have to complete the whole routine again. Not necessarily golf. I had a friend who every night has to go around the house and check all the doors and windows are locked, if he wakes up for any reason he has to do the whole thing again.

It may be the same for the golfers if something takes them out of their concentration they have to restart their routine

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's got to the point where my normal procedure is to set record, do something for a couple of hours, then watch the recording with the assistance of the ff button...

Which is probably not what the various sponsors/advertisers would wish for...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
W
It's got to the point where my normal procedure is to set record, do something for a couple of hours, then watch the recording with the assistance of the ff button...

Which is probably not what the various sponsors/advertisers would wish for...

I couldn't be bothered staying up to watch it to the end. Guessing that Watson was going to win it I couldn't hack watching the antics of Na and - especially - Cantlay.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I counted 25 times he moved his right foot in the bunker (admittedly some were quite minimal) but how many is deemed 'building a stance'?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I found cantley more annoying than na, but that's just a personal thing I guess. When he was in one bunker I genuinely thought my stream was looping, he must have performed at least 10 shuffles.

Bubba is obviously a complicated soul, but his ability to play skillful golf and his lag putting were fantastic. It's a real shame that more tournament venues don't make players hit so many different shots.
You wouldn't think the course would suit him as it is pretty tight with slick greens. There are a lot of holes where you have to shape the ball one way, and that seems to help him, as he doesn't have to over think it. Three wins round such a tough course is very impressive. Don't think Tiger has ever had a decent finish round Riviera even in his pomp.

Might be a good bet for the Masters.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site

From my (admittedly very limited) understanding of golf psychology isn't the whole point of a pre-shot routine to allow you to do the same thing before every shot whether it's teeing off in a pro-am or playing into the eighteenth green defending a one shot lead in a major? Surely standing over a two foot putt for 2 minutes makes it less likely it'll drop?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Brilliant to see Bubba in the winners circle again. Love how he plays the game, the way he manufactures shots and sees things differently. His ability is absolutely phenomenal and unquestionable, makes watching golf interesting again instead of the robotic run of the mill golfers that grace our TV screens every week.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
From my (admittedly very limited) understanding of golf psychology isn't the whole point of a pre-shot routine to allow you to do the same thing before every shot whether it's teeing off in a pro-am or playing into the eighteenth green defending a one shot lead in a major? Surely standing over a two foot putt for 2 minutes makes it less likely it'll drop?

Yes, absolutely. Like what r0wley86 says earlier tho if that routine gets interrupted and it has to start over it can lead to delay. The routine needs to be completed to feel comfortable playing the shot. A sports psychologist could provide ways to calm the mind provide focus in order for the routine to be completed fully without unnecessary clutter in the mind.

Then again. I may be thinking about this too much, story of my life ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Brilliant to see Bubba in the winners circle again. Love how he plays the game, the way he manufactures shots and sees things differently. His ability is absolutely phenomenal and unquestionable, makes watching golf interesting again instead of the robotic run of the mill golfers that grace our TV screens every week.

I'm also a big fan of Bubba and he reminds me a lot of my early golfing hero Lee Trevino in the way he never seems to hit a straight shot. I wonder if he can keep the form going to Augusta and win. He's proved he can and it'll be great to see him up there again on the back nine on Sunday. As for the snore fest, this was another weekend that does the image of golf no favours and the PGA need to grow a pair and tackle the issue head on and soon. Same persistent offenders!