General play cards

Mandofred

Visit site
If you had the MyEG App, there are no more hoops than playing on your home course. I appreciate that your friends may not have the App, and that was an issue for me in the early days of WHS. However, now, myself and all the guys I generally play with all have MyEG and know how to work it. It makes it so much easier to submit scores, especially from away courses (otherwise you'd have to keep physical cards, submit them at your home club and wait until someone processes them).
My friend does EG rather than IG....he gave up when using it at the reciprocal course. Can't remember why, a month+ ago....
I have the IG and the EG app.....I likely only tried the IG app....just wasn't worth crying about that it didn't work so well.

Swango1980

Visit site
My friend does EG rather than IG....he gave up when using it at the reciprocal course. Can't remember why, a month+ ago....
I have the IG and the EG app.....I likely only tried the IG app....just wasn't worth crying about that it didn't work so well.
Never had an issue with MyEG away, as the App works just the same. Maybe it was a GPS issue. If GPS cant find you, it doesn't know you are near the course, thus can't pre register. Had that once or twice at my own course if I try and pre register immediately on arrival, tho not normally as issue. If I give it a few more mins, usually OK

Mandofred

Visit site
Never had an issue with MyEG away, as the App works just the same. Maybe it was a GPS issue. If GPS cant find you, it doesn't know you are near the course, thus can't pre register. Had that once or twice at my own course if I try and pre register immediately on arrival, tho not normally as issue. If I give it a few more mins, usually OK
Just not a big issue. Both the friend and I turn in lots of casual cards.....If it's crap tomorrow, I'll be going up from my 6.5 current.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Used to be a major problem with my old phone and continues to be a problem on days when it is very cloudy . It often used to say you have to be at eh club to register when I was stood outside the office in the car park. Whilst others who live within a few miles of the club say they can register before leaving home.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We are now receiving some 600+ general play cards per month. How are other clubs dealing with these cards? Are you religiously checking them or not?
We must be averaging one per day. They're being entred by folks who don't play medals, but folks who have handciap/medal players are just not going for it at all.

I check none of them, because notification is so poor, and what am I checking? These guys have no record, they are pumping in GP scores, what do I check supposedly?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
So averaging 20 per day. Is that really a major problem?
Encouraging use of the App should cut down the work considerably.
Are you having a laugh? For volunteers? If we ever were to get anything like that number, I can assure you I'd be saying enter them via the App or they wont be recorded.

The trouble with this GP nonsense is that all the blazers are implementing stuff from the perspective of big clubs with many staff, I am fully aware from ongoing discourse that they just don't understand the concept of small volunteeer run courses that make up the majority of clubs.

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
For those who have experienced GPS issues, sometimes it can be as simple as ensuring the location services are allowed for the app. It is often a notification that pops up when first using the app. If you accidentally refuse access then it won’t work - going into settings to check can help. I know a few people who had this issue.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For those who have experienced GPS issues, sometimes it can be as simple as ensuring the location services are allowed for the app. It is often a notification that pops up when first using the app. If you accidentally refuse access then it won’t work - going into settings to check can help. I know a few people who had this issue.

Not me, it is a location issue (mainly a problem with the hill and the trees)

I once found it would not work next to the clubhouse so I went out as far as the edge of the 18th fairway walked back a couple of towards the club house and tried again and so on, it finally worked the other side of the club house. Similar issue with my GPS unit it does not work until 2 thirds of the way up the first hole.

sjw

Visit site
Not me, it is a location issue (mainly a problem with the hill and the trees)

I once found it would not work next to the clubhouse so I went out as far as the edge of the 18th fairway walked back a couple of towards the club house and tried again and so on, it finally worked the other side of the club house. Similar issue with my GPS unit it does not work until 2 thirds of the way up the first hole.
Weather is a big reflection of this in my experience. A bright clear day makes a lot of difference. Cloudy evening and my shotscope v3 can leave me on the first tee for ages. Probably my biggest gripe with it

CountLippe

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that if I enter a round on the IG app, there is no fomal way for my marker to attest my score other than the photograph of the signed card? Can't beleive anyone would spend any time checking the uploaded photos from General Play rounds!

I enetered a round at my home course via the EG app for the first time the other day. My partner attested my score (no photo needed), and it later showd up on the "handicap" tab of the IG app, but does not show up on the "Rounds" tab.

Depends which app your use:
IG app - it appears on your rounds tab.
EG app - just the score in your handicap record.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I remember when this first came in that there was a lot of talk of a cheats charter.
I dismissed such talk as I had no experience of the system but reading many of the comments above I'm beginning to change my view.

We do our best but unfortunately if a player has a mind to, the system is very easily manipulated.

A large chunk of our membership live within the 3 mile radius so can happily put in rounds from home with a willing mate to attest. We cross reference tee sheets but unless sat there all day monitoring score intent its very difficult to demonstrate pre-registration. Its an issue I've highlighted to England Golf, with a fix that would help - not holding my breath!

Swango1980

Visit site
We do our best but unfortunately if a player has a mind to, the system is very easily manipulated.

A large chunk of our membership live within the 3 mile radius so can happily put in rounds from home with a willing mate to attest. We cross reference tee sheets but unless sat there all day monitoring score intent its very difficult to demonstrate pre-registration. Its an issue I've highlighted to England Golf, with a fix that would help - not holding my breath!
I'm guessing that is one of the ultimate cheat methods related to handicapping. Simply put in scores that never actually happened at all.

It is certainly something that could happen more so than before, given there is really no effort involved in a player doing it with less risk (i.e. sitting at home and not having to physically submit a score, whilst knowing that the score will automatically go to their record before anyone checks, and that the likelihood anyone ever will check that score being remote).

On the other hand, it is a huge risk IF someone does find out what they are up to. I can imagine a a club could come down on them like a ton of bricks, with them getting a bit more than a slap on the wrist. You'd like to think this would be too big a risk for most to take at a prestigious club, where the player has invested a lot of money. However, could be a bigger issue at a inexpensive / beginner type club, where the player is happy to manipulate their handicap, but wouldn't ultimately loose sleep even if they were banned if found out.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I like to think at our club we monitor performances and patterns quite well so anything untoward *should* be quickly shut down.

What worries me is that new members coming in or those with dual club memberships come with stories from other clubs of zero checks at all, so when questioned about a discrepancy they are surprised. Ultimately its quite easy to pick and choose which rounds to put in, defeating the object of pre-registering. Yes, we have reports etc that we can use on the EG platform and this will pick up the obvious but it can be VERY time consuming trying to unpick what has happened. To the point that most clubs will not be able to do it effectively.

I worry for the integrity of Open comps, there will be some pretty inaccurate handicaps out there!

D-S

Visit site
If two people want to collude and cheat the system it is really easy as they can either not play but submit scores via the EG app if they are in close proximity to any club. Or more simply they can play and submit any score they feel like via the club ISV or EG app.
Impossible to police but I guess there is no foolproof way of preventing players who really want to game the system.
At least it normally takes 2 people to do it which will dramatically reduce the number of potential offenders as, I hope, most of these people don’t have many friends.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I worry for the integrity of Open comps, there will be some pretty inaccurate handicaps out there!

That ship has sailed long since. Clubs are also daft enough to allow four balls to book and play together.
:whistle:

I could put in a general play card for St Pierre, sat in my living room and without leaving my house. Just need someone who will attest it. If there's a mind to cheat, it's easy.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

and if two guys want to manipulate the system just as easy to do when actually playing so no difference really.

Swango1980

Visit site
and if two guys want to manipulate the system just as easy to do when actually playing so no difference really.
Well, not QUITE just as easy. They have to go to the effort of getting off their backside and actually playing golf. But, yes, once there, they could just as easily put in a make believe score.

RRidges

Visit site
Are you having a laugh? For volunteers? If we ever were to get anything like that number, I can assure you I'd be saying enter them via the App or they wont be recorded.

The trouble with this GP nonsense is that all the blazers are implementing stuff from the perspective of big clubs with many staff, I am fully aware from ongoing discourse that they just don't understand the concept of small volunteeer run courses that make up the majority of clubs.
If I was in your position, I'd likely take the same approach! But you obviously don't, so the issue is pretty much irrelevant for your club - except input via the App should still be encouraged or even virtually insisted upon!