General play cards

OCG Handi

Visit site
We are now receiving some 600+ general play cards per month. How are other clubs dealing with these cards? Are you religiously checking them or not?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If the card is input via the app, the latest update means that you put in your own score and your markers score, the marker does the same, so they are in effect, self checking.

The only ones that need looking at are ones where there is a discrepancy or cards where the marker isn’t putting a card in.

That should save a load of work

OCG Handi

Visit site
If the card is input via the app, the latest update means that you put in your own score and your markers score, the marker does the same, so they are in effect, self checking.

The only ones that need looking at are ones where there is a discrepancy or cards where the marker isn’t putting a card in.

That should save a load of work

Unfortunately most are physical cards not inputted via an App. so it’s a hell of a lot of work!
Do other handicap secretaries check all GP cards? And do you insist on the card being produced if entered electronically?

OCG Handi

Visit site
Unfortunately most are physical cards not inputted via an App. so it’s a hell of a lot of work!
Do other handicap secretaries check all GP cards? And do you insist on the card being produced if entered electronically?
Has EG provided any recent (post Covid) guidance on how to deal with GP cards?

RRidges

Visit site
We are now receiving some 600+ general play cards per month. How are other clubs dealing with these cards? Are you religiously checking them or not?
So averaging 20 per day. Is that really a major problem?
Encouraging use of the App should cut down the work considerably.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We get about 400 a week...all go in via the App or terminal.
I am lead to believe that only the cards leading to a cut are checked....
There's simply too many to control unless a member of staff gives up a morning each day....

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My understanding is that at my club there is no checking of scores submitted via the app.
That is the way we are encouraged to submit them.
We do not need to submit a paper card at all.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…workload associated with checking GP cards (so maybe they are not) may be one reason why at my place our terms of entry to a board competition are six competition cards in the year leading up to closing date for entries to any comp. GP cards submitted for handicap purposes do not count in my six.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sort advice from the county handicap secretary and his advice was that we do not need to check them all just a random sample of a few cards.

One way to avoid this is to encourage players to use Regional apps on their phones to submit scores.

Swango1980

Visit site
So averaging 20 per day. Is that really a major problem?
Encouraging use of the App should cut down the work considerably.
Absolutely. Depends on the set up of the club, but most only have one or 2 volunteers who can process these. Checking 20 cards can actually take some time in itself. You have to retrieve them, then start checking them, and then filing them. Inevitably, in about 20 cards, I'd say there are usually at least 5, if not more, that cause serious grief. Not clear who the players are, the scores, not signed, etc. To understand what is going on, you need to contact the player. Furthermore, you may also need to check it was properly pre-registered. Basically, it is a massive headache. Also, assuming you don't expect the volunteer to process cards every day of their life, they may put aside one time a week to do this. Now they have over 100 scores to go through. God forbid they want a week off and have no one to cover for them.

Anyway, I was handicap secretary at my club during the transition to WHS. Pre WHS processing supplementary cards was easy. Maybe only have a dozen a week at most, and you knew that their score would only touch their record once the handicap secretary checked and authorised it. After WHS came into effect, we started getting more and more general play scores. Some from away courses as well. Many of these going straight to the players record before I had the chance to check them (as they were entered electronically by the player), some of them not as some players couldn't use the tech. Took ages going through these, including no returned scores that had been pre-registered, or returned scores that hadn't been pre-registered. So many silly mistakes, like one player entering the entire back 9 scores of his playing partner instead of his own scores, resulting in a final score some 15 shots higher than he actually shot.

Ultimately, the only feasible solution was to stop checking every score. I just had to accept that scores would be entered in error and there was little I could do about it. Unless the player, or another player, flagged it as a problem. I did ask players to submit the physical scorecard at least, so it could be checked. However, this just started turning into a massive filing headache. And, as so many scores were submitted, many many players just did not bother submitting a physical card, and I wasn't going to start chasing all these players for not doing so and giving them a slap on the wrist. Also, there is less need for physical scorecards these days. MyEG you can just enter the score as you go along, for you and the guys in your group. It will tally up the scores as you go along and warn you of any discrepancies between the score you entered and the score entered by someone else. So, it is pretty good and really negates the need to have a physical card.

So, in answer to the OP. Absolutely fair play if you are religiously checking every card, but I'd recommend not doing so. I wouldn't even demand everyone submits a physical card, but that is up to you. I think the bigger skill will be analysing the scores that do come in, and being able to find any unusual scoring patterns. Maybe any players suddenly entering many scores all of a sudden, and handicap going in one direction. Or low handicappers only submitting decent rounds (i.e. have they somehow found a loophole on pre-registration, and binned any bad rounds to avoid a handicap increase). Not sure if the software has evolved enough yet to close most loopholes, or highlight suspicious scoring patterns?

wjemather

Visit site
Other than scores that require manual entry by us (e.g. from abroad), we only require cards for all rounds entered via the PSI terminals (apps operate as electronic scorecards) and check a random sample every few weeks. Otherwise responsibility is on the players (both player and marker) to ensure scores have been entered accurately.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In this country as part of every general play round entered on the handicap app the player also uploads a photo of the physical completed scorecard
(so cross checking against a scorecard is possible on any submitted score)

Is that part of how the app(s) work in the UK ?

D

Deleted member 15344

In this country as part of every general play round entered on the handicap app the player also uploads a photo of the physical completed scorecard
(so cross checking against a scorecard is possible on any submitted score)

Is that part of how the app(s) work in the UK ?

Don’t need to have a copy of the scorecard via the EG app

Using ISV apps, IG etc to enter a score then a photo of the scorecard or the physical card - but that’s mainly used in comps