General play card playing pairs competition matchplay in England

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You weren’t allowed to put a general play card in? (And have a side INFORMAL, play for a pint matchplay)
CONGU
An acceptable score for Supplementary Score purposes is any authenticated score under Competition Play Conditions in compliance with the conditions listed in this clause and played over either: (a) an 18-hole Measured Course in either Stroke Play or Stableford format

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ll continue to put in general play cards whilst having a side match for a beer matchplay.
Let’s be clear. You both could play your match and return a score if it is singles match play. Everything being said about it’s not being allowed relates to four ball. As already said your score has to made under stroke play rules.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think I get where Larry is coming from. I’ve often played in a strokeplay comp with a side bet based on fourball format (& scored as a match)

The term ‘fourball’ is used if at all to decide teams for a side-bet, not to set the rules the holes are played under, we may call it a ‘cart bet’ it really doesn’t matter.

The comp is still an individual stroke play played to those rules

Larry long dog

Visit site
I think I get where Larry is coming from. I’ve often played in a strokeplay comp with a side bet based on fourball format (& scored as a match)

The term ‘fourball’ is used if at all to decide teams for a side-bet, not to set the rules the holes are played under, we may call it a ‘cart bet’ it really doesn’t matter.

The comp is still an individual stroke play played to those rules
Amen slab!

Steven Rules

Visit site
I think everybody is despairing.

Your original question was about "pairs competition matchplay" but it turns out the format you meant was individual general play stroke play.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are involved in a game that has to be played in a very specific way so it's quite incredible to hear folk say "You're being a bit fussy there, aren't you?" when they are asked to explain why they are moving away from those requirements. For me, that is the difference between a "GOLFER" & a 'recreational golfer'. There are loads of them playing in the same Clubs but their attitudes are miles apart, even though the game of golf, it's rules, it's traditions, it's culture etc provides a model for everyone. Are they all just THICK.... or LAZY? Which ever, for me, they are the most annoying thing about Golf Clubs

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I despair🫤

You asked for some help about handicapping rules in a rules forum. You got helpful and accurate answers which you didn't like and proceeded to disparage. Perhaps a polite thanks everyone would have been a better response.

To repeat the basic and simple answer: a score made in the course of playing four ball or pairs or better ball or whatever you want to call it, whether match play or stroke play, is not acceptable under CONGU rules.

You are free to dislike it, free to think it's daft and free to disregard it and return unacceptable GP scores. But you might be a bit more appreciative of those who have taken the trouble to explain the situation to you.

Larry long dog

Visit site
I think everybody is despairing.

Your original question was about "pairs competition matchplay" but it turns out the format you meant was individual general play stroke play.
No. Clearly need to work on my articulation.

My original question was answered in #2-no issues there.

All my other responses are in relation to #9.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I fear someone does not appreciate the difference between four players going out in a casual group - and perhaps dividing themselves into a random side 'bet' - and those going out as a Four Ball which the rules define to be a specific form of team play.

I reckon I know where the misunderstanding lies.