Matchplay comp and advice

noble78

Head Pro
Visit site
I am playing my first round of a national matchplay comp tomorrow, we have been drawn at home and the guys we are playing are from Peterborough.
I know that I am not allowed to ask for nor give advise to anyone other than my playing partner.
If these chaps haven't played my home course before and they ask general points about where bunkers are, which direction to the green if hidden etc
Do I say that I can't give advice as its against the rules?

The only reason I ask is I have played rabbits matches which are more relaxed and friendly and opponents pretty much always help in that way, but I don't want to say anything if its going to result in me maybe getting penalised.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
you are fine with factual information - it's that way, there are bunkers at 230 on the right etc etc

you should not give an opinion on how to play the hole - eg I play out to the right as the line into the green is better, I would use a 3 wood here etc etc

not rocket science - stay relaxed, with an edge of 'care' :)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing you can do is to give your opponents a yardage book, and a pin sheet if one is available, from the pro shop on the first. That is a nice courteous thing to do and may both start the game in the right spirit and reduce tricky questions.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If these chaps haven't played my home course before and they ask general points about where bunkers are, which direction to the green if hidden etc
Do I say that I can't give advice as its against the rules?

I don't want to say anything if its going to result in me maybe getting penalised.

Advice
Advice is any counsel or suggestion that could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club or the method of making a Stroke.
Information on the Rules, distance or matters of public information, such as the position of Hazards or the Flagstick on the Putting Green, is not Advice.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know that I am not allowed to ask for nor give advise to anyone other than my playing partner.
You may exchange advice with your partner. (ie a player playing with you on your side in match play or in a 4BBB.
The term 'playing partner' is not recognised in the Rules of Golf but is frequently used on TV to mean a player in the same group in stroke play. The correct term is Fellow Competitor. A Competitor is anyone playing in a stroke play competition.