GDPR - General Data Protection Regulation

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Anyone on Golf Club committees been involved with GDPR and if so, how’s it going?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m sure a lot of us are like me and Working through it at work.

Shouldn’t be hard for a golf club. As long as they are not passing data off to third parties without due dilligence and just processing legitimately it shouldn’t be too hard. It’s those pesky third parties that complicate things.

I think the biggest pain is just getting rid of all the data not required for processing.

If they keep it safe, secure and process as described then all should be fine. I guess you sign a contract with a club so clubs don’t even need to rely on consent to process most data.

They will probably hold some special category data which makes some things more complicated.

Child consent is the other complication I can see however.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Not for golf but I am going on a course tomorrow that is going to cover this, for my work. Potentially significant and awkward.
Golf Clubs have to be compliant from May 25th, best not tell the committee you’re qualified. ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf Clubs have to be compliant from May 25th, best not tell the committee you’re qualified. ;)

You're not kidding :D. It will be interesting to hear tomorrow whether this is going to be the pain that many think or whether it is not as awkward in practice. Are you set up for it? How are you finding it?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
no PLEASE not GDPR on the forum!!

;)

This place is my refuse form work and i am getting battered on this particular subject. Please dont destroy my leisure time Paul!!!!

I am cancelling my account.

bye

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

;)

This place is my refuse form work and i am getting battered on this particular subject. Please dont destroy my leisure time Paul!!!!

bye

I agree. Within my industry you cannot escape from GDPR, every conversation comes back to it at some point. It's going to be a shocker however what amazes me is how many massive companies are still radio silent on the subject. Those lower down the food chain such as myself are waiting to see what the requirements will be from upon high but nothing so far!!

D

Deleted member 16999

You're not kidding :D. It will be interesting to hear tomorrow whether this is going to be the pain that many think or whether it is not as awkward in practice. Are you set up for it? How are you finding it?

;)

bye

I agree. Within my industry you cannot escape from GDPR, every conversation comes back to it at some point. It's going to be a shocker however what amazes me is how many massive companies are still radio silent on the subject. Those lower down the food chain such as myself are waiting to see what the requirements will be from upon high but nothing so far!!
Sorry guys, Had a management meeting up the Club last night and it dominated the mtg, nobody had a clue apart from a letter from England Golf, all new to some of us. :thup:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Most of it is very straightforward, or should be, for a golf club. The club only needs one lawful reason for collection, i.e. the execution of the contract of membership. The processes around collection, processing and storage are easy. Where a club may need to be very careful is if it decides to share that data with a 3rd party, e.g. Fairway Credit. The club must show that it has sought evidence of Fairway Credit's data protection/handling procedures, and having received that evidence it has then exercised due diligence to establish that Fairway Credit have robust procedures and protections in place.

D

Deleted member 16999

Most of it is very straightforward, or should be, for a golf club. The club only needs one lawful reason for collection, i.e. the execution of the contract of membership. The processes around collection, processing and storage are easy. Where a club may need to be very careful is if it decides to share that data with a 3rd party, e.g. Fairway Credit. The club must show that it has sought evidence of Fairway Credit's data protection/handling procedures, and having received that evidence it has then exercised due diligence to establish that Fairway Credit have robust procedures and protections in place.
Cheers Bri :thup:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry guys, Had a management meeting up the Club last night and it dominated the mtg, nobody had a clue apart from a letter from England Golf, all new to some of us. :thup:

im only pulling your leg pal

Best of luck with it. Its a horrible,ambiguous and obscure legal minefield

:D

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone on Golf Club committees been involved with GDPR and if so, how’s it going?

It's big in my line of work too. If i'm correct all golf clubs will need to get formal written acceptance from their members to actually hold their data/details on file ? I'm yet to be contacted about this by mine and am not sure how they're embracing it but I know the May deadline is fast approaching. It's going to be an enforcement minefield but there will be a major scapegoat somehwhere in the early stages i'm sure of that.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
As far as I know we're all done and dusted at our place and the upshot is that members names and phone numbers are no longer in the club diary .

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's big in my line of work too. If i'm correct all golf clubs will need to get formal written acceptance from their members to actually hold their data/details on file ? I'm yet to be contacted about this by mine and am not sure how they're embracing it but I know the May deadline is fast approaching. It's going to be an enforcement minefield but there will be a major scapegoat somehwhere in the early stages i'm sure of that.

Written consent isn’t needed if you have a contractual agreement with them, such as your membership.

If they want to do something with your data that isn’t in the contact they either change the contest for you to sign again or then get you consen.

D

Deleted member 16999

Written consent isn’t needed if you have a contractual agreement with them, such as your membership.

If they want to do something with your data that isn’t in the contact they either change the contest for you to sign again or then get you consen.
Ours isn’t in original contract.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Ours isn’t in original contract.

GDPR sets higher standards for seeking permissions, and it is the responsibility of the data holder to ensure the supplier of the data has consented. There are no grandfather rights pertaining to data collection and retention of information regarding members who originally joined eons ago.

D

Deleted member 16999

GDPR sets higher standards for seeking permissions, and it is the responsibility of the data holder to ensure the supplier of the data has consented. There are no grandfather rights pertaining to data collection and retention of information regarding members who originally joined eons ago.
We are starting again from scratch, never been in any contract new or old!
How’s the weather?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We are starting again from scratch, never been in any contract new or old!
How’s the weather?

The contract can be the included in the invoice issued to renew membership, with a paragraph about data collection, processing and storage. It must be signed and returned with the appropriate fees... contract sorted.

The weather's not the best yesterday and today. Its shorts and t-shirt weather but we're having the odd shower.

D

Deleted member 16999

The contract can be the included in the invoice issued to renew membership, with a paragraph about data collection, processing and storage. It must be signed and returned with the appropriate fees... contract sorted.

The weather's not the best yesterday and today. Its shorts and t-shirt weather but we're having the odd shower.
Freezing cold, blowing a hoolie, waves 20-30 ft high on sea front, still in shorts and t-shirt though :whoo:

Our membership runs Mar-Feb so just missed out on doing it at this years renewal!