gap wedge

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
is it worth getting one?
i seem to find my self regulary stuck between my wedges. For some reason i can slap a wedge a stupid distance compared to my other clubs. But i would rather do a full swing at times than a half to 3/4 as distance control can be an issue with my pw. im thinking about taking out my 4 iron as i never hit it (use my hybrids).
but unsure whether to look for one to match my set?

does anyone else use them and find them more benafical?

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used to carry four wedges p/w 48 gap 52 s/w 56 and lob 60, but acquired a nice 58 so now just carry this and the p/w and 52. I tend to use the p/w and lob around the green and p/w a lot from 130yards for full ,3/4 and half shots as this is one of stronger aspects of my game . If I do use the gap its for full shots (which I have to say is not a lot)where I need to hit it high to get to a tight pin. With wedges its about feel and distance control, so I would experiment and decide on a line up which suits your game and the course you are playing. My wedges are not matching and if I was you ditch the four, replace with hybrid or carry an extra wedge if you play a lot of shots between 50 and 120 yards

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
You regularly find yourself between wedges and you prefer hitting a full shot....I think you have really answered your own question.

I love my 52 wedge. I'd rather hit a half shot with that than a 3/4 sw. Nice for little dinky shots round the green too.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another yes vote for a gap wedge here and I use it a fair bit. I really like it for full shots to the green but also prefer it to my sand wedge for a lot of greenside chips too. My lofts are 45/50/55 (PW/GW/SW)...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A lot depends on the loft of your PW.
Many these days are 43, 44 or 45 degrees. Some "PLayers" PW's are 46, 47 but these are becoming fewer.
SW's are still 55/56 so having 10 degrees between them is at least a 2, maybe 3 club gap.
4-6 degrees is what is recommended, giving am even spread.
So if your PW is 44, you really need to be thinking how often you hit full wedges. If a lot of your shots are from 120 yards in - and many are - having the club with the right full swing distance has to be better than having to manufacture 1/2 and 3/4 shots.
I load the wedge end of the bag. I have 45,50,54,58. I can hit a full shot from 130-75 yards. Under 75, obviously, you have to hit part-shots but if I can hit a full shot with a normal swing I'm more likely to hit the target.
YOu could play 3 wedges and have larger gaps - not a problem if that's what you want.
If I played 45,50,56 -say- then I'd have room for another wood/hybrid. That club will get me 200-220 yards down the road. Am I going to hit the green from that far out? Not often. So I'll be chipping and having a variety of lofts and bounces to choose from - each does a specific job so learn what does what - gives me the best chance to get the ball close.
Just my opinion of course......

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say it depends on the lofts of your PW and SW.
In the olden days, the PW was around 48 deg and the SW 54 so no real gap to fill.
Now that some wedges are as low as 45 deg and SW as high as 58 it makes sense to have something in between..... especially if you're rubbish at 1/2, 3/4 shots ;)
Just kidding :whistle:

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My PW is 46, AW 51, SW 56 and I use a 60 degree lob wedge. I could simplify and go 46, 52 and 58 however I prefer to use a full to 3/4 swing when approaching the greens, especially when the ground is hard and you want to stop the ball dead.