Gamers

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really miss playing proper PC strategy games as the cost of a decent gaming rig these days is worse than 2nd golf clubs ?

If Jim’s doing an FPS list then I’m bagsy’ing doing a strategy games one ?

1. Total Annihilation
2. Rome total war
3. Medieval total war
4. Civilisation V
5. Homeworld 1/2 ?
6. Commando’s 2
7. Syndicate ????
8. Age of empires 2
9. Alpha Centuri
10. Janes fighting ships

No 10. Is a left field choice but as an ex Royal Navy Electronic warfare raring it was RIGHT up my alley ?. Brilliant game

Sadly unless my mid divorce cash flow issues evaporate I’ll be stuck in Xbox mode as no way can I shell out 2-3k on a PC.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really miss playing proper PC strategy games as the cost of a decent gaming rig these days is worse than 2nd golf clubs ?

1. Total Annihilation
2. Rome total war
3. Medieval total war
4. Civilisation V
5. Homeworld 1/2 ?
6. Commando’s 2
7. Syndicate ????
8. Age of empires 2
9. Alpha Centuri
10. Janes fighting ships

No 10. Is a left field choice but as an ex Royal Navy Electronic warfare raring it was RIGHT up my alley ?. Brilliant game

Sadly unless my mid divorce cash flow issues evaporate I’ll be stuck in Xbox mode as no way can I shell out 2-3k on a PC.

You missed off any of the Xcom games and that is sacrilege

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
CounterStrike is a Half Life mod. A very influential one but yeah, should be there but there's no room so it loses out in favour of Half Life and the others. :D

I agree on Call of Duty 2 being a landmark. That's where Infinity Ward first found their pace with campaign narrative, but CoD3:MW was where they absolutely perfected it and that's when it elevated from another shooter to best in class. The MW campaign is, I think, the best narrative pacing ever. It hasn't been bettered yet.

I don't like Bioshock. Just a personal thing but I think the RPG elements are too messy and I absolute hate the checkpoint system. Pretty game artistically though.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No Dune 2000 or Command & Conquer? Boo!

Oh god Dune! Amazing game that. Brother had it on his Amiga

Command and conquer though…

I liked red alert but thought they were lesser games than say, age of empires and tbh total annihilation was 10 times the game that CnC was

In my humble opinion obviously

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a fuzzy and indistinct line between strategy and real-time strategy though.

A list that includes Syndicate needs to include Xcom :D

The first time I unleashed the gauss Gun syndicate and flattened (In my imagination ?) a building and few baddy cyborgs in syndicate, I felt like a 13 year old god of destruction.

Shout out as well to Cannon fodder

That was amazing.

“War has never been so much fun”

loved the hill with the grave stones of all your squaddies that got slotted ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So the burning question for those gents of a certain age, did you ever really complete Jet Set Willy without the poke codes ?

Nope. completed very few games back in those days except for most of the Ultimate (now Rare) ones. Completed things like atic atac, jetpack, cookie, pssssst, sabre wulf and knight lore. Good old days on a spectrum with a kempston joystick.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope. completed very few games back in those days except for most of the Ultimate (now Rare) ones. Completed things like atic atac, jetpack, cookie, pssssst, sabre wulf and knight lore. Good old days on a spectrum with a kempston joystick.

Classics, I could finish Attic Attack, Sabre Wulf and Underworld very easily every time, never finished Knight Lore much to my shame, it was just so damn hard. Another game I never finished despite being 99% there, Tir Na Nog ?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It looks fun if you have mates to squad up with. Found it hit and miss with randoms. Dont like solos.

Also need to have better players with me to do all the load outs/shopping etc as find it a bit too complicated (must be too old :).

We should have forum squad!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
ha.

It’s not that I’ve disregarded it.. promise

I’ve never actually played it so can’t comment ?

If you see Xcom 2 (from the recent reboots) on any system then just buy it, trust me. it can be found for under a tenner these days and sometimes under a fiver on steam.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

1. Total Annihilation
2. Rome total war
3. Medieval total war
4. Civilisation V
5. Homeworld 1/2 ?
6. Commando’s 2
7. Syndicate ????
8. Age of empires 2
9. Alpha Centuri
10. Janes fighting ships

AoE 2 must have been the most run program on my old laptop, just ahead of Netscape Navigator ;-)

Springveldt

Visit site
I wasn't involved in the original but admire it a lot. At the time, being obsessed with Quake, I didn't think it was possible to replicate the FPS feel on a console but Halo proved me (and many others) wrong. Arguably Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters were the games that showed an FPS does work on a console with gamepads but I always struggled to play them as the framerate was so poor - being spoiled by higher performance PCs created a lot of expectation problems for consoles. Anyway Halo absolutely perfected the feel and many other essentials of narrative, AI and multiplayer. It, like many games, borrowed a lot of ideas from Half Life but getting that experience onto console was a great move by Microsoft.

Poor excuse for a segue into the best / most influential FPSs of all time according to me that I've made up on the spot today. We all love lists. :D

1. Quake
2. DooM
3. Half Life 2
4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
5. Halo: CE
6. Halo 2
7. Half Life
8. Perfect Dark
9. GoldenEye
10. Doom Eternal
No Counter Strike makes this list null and invalid. ;) After Doom, it's easily the most influential FPS for me. I've played it on and off for over 20 years, all the way back to the Beta. Think it was beta 4 or 5 when I found it.

As for Halo, maybe I'm in the minority but I actually never even completed the first one. Got to the Library level were you just kept going around and around and got bored of it. I enjoyed Halo 2 a lot more.

Some cracking games on that list, Half Life 2 is probably my favourite single player game of all time (between that and Fallout 3 I think), it was the reason I eventually caved in and installed Steam. I was really annoyed about having to give up my WON ID.

Springveldt

Visit site
So the burning question for those gents of a certain age, did you ever really complete Jet Set Willy without the poke codes ?
Nope. No chance.

Also couldn't even get a single plane out of the hanger in "Raid over Moscow" on the Amstrad CPC464.

Think the only game I can remember completing back then was Bruce Lee but it just ended up looping getting harder each time.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
As for Halo, maybe I'm in the minority but I actually never even completed the first one. Got to the Library level were you just kept going around and around and got bored of it. I enjoyed Halo 2 a lot more.

No you’re not alone, I remember getting to a level where you just kept going around and around, same enemies wave after wave. It bored the shite out of me so I ditched it and I’ve never played a Halo game since.