Gamers

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed them. I'm proud of a lot of what we did with Crackdown 2 technically, it could have / should have been a better game overall though. It ended up being a very marmite experience, people either loved it or hated it. One nice CD2 memory that came back to me recently was meeting Hideo Kojima during breakfast in Tokyo and, I'm such a fanboy, I couldn't get any words out of my mouth. :D

Wish I could talk openly about Crackdown 3 but "such a shame" is a huge understatement. ?

I was trying to be as polite as a could. Reckon I would have been the same with meetng Hideo Kojima.

Any other classics that you have been involved in.

Totally different type of came but I have been hooked on Xcom since I played the orignal on a 486 PC in the 90s. Still have a run through Xcom 2 on my xbox every few months.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only play FUT, haven't played Seasons for a couple of years now. Managed to get to the Elite division in Rivals last season which isn't bad for an old guy.

For me, it's the responsiveness of the game that's poor. The servers are a mess. Some games your AI team mates run around like they are on crack and others they just stand around doing nothing, it's like the AI failed to load or it's been turned down to Beginner from Legendary. Then you have the whole input delay, players not turning, passes going where ever they feel like it etc. Just a really frustrating experience. Unfortunately it's so addictive as well, really hard to kick it. I did managed to not buy FIFA 20 but bought 21 and got hooked again.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, they've not made a decent Fifa since 17, that's why I went back to that one. :LOL:

Springveldt

Visit site
As I mentioned in my earlier post, they've not made a decent Fifa since 17, that's why I went back to that one. :LOL:
Agreed, 18 was when it started to go downhill. That's when the input delay started for me with players being unresponsive etc. I rage quit half way through 19, skipped 20 completely but missed football so bought 21. Starting to hate 22, rage uninstalled it last Wednesday but the addict in me won out and I reinstalled it on Sunday. :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed, 18 was when it started to go downhill. That's when the input delay started for me with players being unresponsive etc. I rage quit half way through 19, skipped 20 completely but missed football so bought 21. Starting to hate 22, rage uninstalled it last Wednesday but the addict in me won out and I reinstalled it on Sunday. :LOL:
I had the same thought process, 19 was awful so I stopped buying them. Missed having a football game so I tried PES21 (was PES20 with updated roster I think as it was before the console switchover) but that was annoyingly fiddly and not very good either. Finally decided to go back to 17 and just play Career Mode every now and then. I haven't checked actually but maybe some are still playing it online, who knows. :LOL:

I had to force myself to stop buying the new ones - no exaggeration, I genuinely think they were harmful to mental health with the amount of anger they induced. I use to sit up until 2am sometimes stubbornly trying to earn a satisfactory win online before turning it off.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had the same thought process, 19 was awful so I stopped buying them. Missed having a football game so I tried PES21 (was PES20 with updated roster I think as it was before the console switchover) but that was annoyingly fiddly and not very good either. Finally decided to go back to 17 and just play Career Mode every now and then. I haven't checked actually but maybe some are still playing it online, who knows. :LOL:

I had to force myself to stop buying the new ones - no exaggeration, I genuinely think they were harmful to mental health with the amount of anger they induced. I use to sit up until 2am sometimes stubbornly trying to earn a satisfactory win online before turning it off.

I play them occasionally but a year behind as I get them on EA Play as part of game pass. That said, I have Fifa 22 that came with my PS5. Not played it yet, only keep it for when a mate comes round as his kid loves it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play them occasionally but a year behind as I get them on EA Play as part of game pass. That said, I have Fifa 22 that came with my PS5. Not played it yet, only keep it for when a mate comes round as his kid loves it.

I got fifa 22 on Xbox (download) skipped 21. Defending is stupidly hard and keepers are awful

But picked up the pc version for £22 so always good if bored

Springveldt

Visit site

I know the feeling, totally rage inducing. I've got a collection of PS4 controllers in different states of disrepair due to the game. That was one of the reasons I stopped as well. I usually don't start playing till wife and kids are in bed and I can be up till the early hours trying to complete an objective, get weekend league games completed etc.

When I didn't get 20, I was still logging into the EA forums, checking Futbin, watching Twitch etc. It was genuinely difficult not to buy 20, must have taken 3 or 4 months before the urge to play the game disappeared. I probably should never have bought 21 as I know it's going to be difficult to kick the habit again when the time comes.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any other classics that you have been involved in.

Totally different type of came but I have been hooked on Xcom since I played the orignal on a 486 PC in the 90s. Still have a run through Xcom 2 on my xbox every few months.

I've been lucky enough to work with/on some pretty big franchises. Halo and GTA, as well as some Star Wars, Nike and Sesame Street games to namecheck randomly. The one thing I feel has always been missing from my trophy cabinet is a Nintendo game, I'd love to work with them but have never yet found the opportunity.

I played the original Xcom to death too. I think that era of PC, Super Nintendo and PlayStation 1 games around '93 to '96 was really great. So many great games from then but Quake, Mario 64 and Grand Theft Auto arrived around '96, changed the industry and put me on this path I'm on now. Except for Quake, which I do still play, I generally don't revisit old games as they're better remembered through rose tinted spectacles for me. I find it very difficult to just sit and enjoy playing a game without looking at it professionally, one of the reasons I admire Nintendo so much is they still feel foreign to me and have that hard to define fun, magic and mystery in them.

I am looking forward to Elden Ring. I need to do something about fixing my PC so I can play it. :D

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I haven't played an online FPS since Unreal Tournament but for the last few weeks have been obsessively playing CoD Black OPS Cold War and Vanguard and hit rank 232 before the season pass reset, I play Hardcore mode only but am pretty crap.

Also playing The Lost Ark but servers are rammed so that's not happening. 1 kid has pinched the PS5 and the other the Xbox X so it's PC gaming all the way. God of War on PC to follow also some WH40k Martyr, Valheim, Halo and Starsector./ Heck I play anything..it's probably embarrassing to admit my steam collection has 1,105 games and I have been a member for 18+ years.

I have always loved gaming, Spectrum ZX81, 48k, C64, Amiga 500, 486dx100 (and loads more) and pretty much every console there ever has been, even got a 3DO on release day, Need For Speed was amazing on it. I used to have a mate who ran a gaming shop and could get hold of just about anything from anywhere. The bug has stuck.

GT7 looks awesome..

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been lucky enough to work with/on some pretty big franchises. Halo and GTA, as well as some Star Wars, Nike and Sesame Street games to namecheck randomly. The one thing I feel has always been missing from my trophy cabinet is a Nintendo game, I'd love to work with them but have never yet found the opportunity.

I played the original Xcom to death too. I think that era of PC, Super Nintendo and PlayStation 1 games around '93 to '96 was really great. So many great games from then but Quake, Mario 64 and Grand Theft Auto arrived around '96, changed the industry and put me on this path I'm on now. Except for Quake, which I do still play, I generally don't revisit old games as they're better remembered through rose tinted spectacles for me. I find it very difficult to just sit and enjoy playing a game without looking at it professionally, one of the reasons I admire Nintendo so much is they still feel foreign to me and have that hard to define fun, magic and mystery in them.

I am looking forward to Elden Ring. I need to do something about fixing my PC so I can play it. :D

Ooh Halo, never forget the joy when I booted that up at midnight on release day of the original Xbox. The game that showed FPS could work that well in console. Got infinite downloaded but a new ps5 for my birthday has delayed my start in that.

Got Demon Souls to start in PS5 but have to have a couple if days clear to get going on something like that. Need to do that before I think about elden ring

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just finished Horizon, wow some game ?
Just got a few things to tidy up and I’ll be on to the next one.

About half way through God if war then I may pick up the original horizon. If you are on PS5 don't forget the PS4 version comes with a free PS5 upgrade despite Sony selling the PS5 version for £10 more and being the same

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Finished Ghost of Tsushima last night & carried on to finalise a couple of trophies and got my first platinum earlier tonight, think I am going to swerve the additional content and move onto something else, can’t make my mind up, I have TLOU 2, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn (freebie from Sony) and Cyberpunk, I have heard rumours of a Cyberpunk PS5 update so probably hold off on that, oh and GT7 is due in a couple of weeks.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finished Ghost of Tsushima last night & carried on to finalise a couple of trophies and got my first platinum earlier tonight, think I am going to swerve the additional content and move onto something else, can’t make my mind up, I have TLOU 2, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn (freebie from Sony) and Cyberpunk, I have heard rumours of a Cyberpunk PS5 update so probably hold off on that, oh and GT7 is due in a couple of weeks.

Cyberpunk ps5 upgrade came out today. I have 2 platinums now, ghosts and ratchet and clank. Have days gone downloaded but may need something more focused before another big open world game

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ooh Halo, never forget the joy when I booted that up at midnight on release day of the original Xbox. The game that showed FPS could work that well in console. Got infinite downloaded but a new ps5 for my birthday has delayed my start in that.

I wasn't involved in the original but admire it a lot. At the time, being obsessed with Quake, I didn't think it was possible to replicate the FPS feel on a console but Halo proved me (and many others) wrong. Arguably Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters were the games that showed an FPS does work on a console with gamepads but I always struggled to play them as the framerate was so poor - being spoiled by higher performance PCs created a lot of expectation problems for consoles. Anyway Halo absolutely perfected the feel and many other essentials of narrative, AI and multiplayer. It, like many games, borrowed a lot of ideas from Half Life but getting that experience onto console was a great move by Microsoft.

Poor excuse for a segue into the best / most influential FPSs of all time according to me that I've made up on the spot today. We all love lists. :D

1. Quake
2. DooM
3. Half Life 2
4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
5. Halo: CE
6. Halo 2
7. Half Life
8. Perfect Dark
9. GoldenEye
10. Doom Eternal

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wasn't involved in the original but admire it a lot. At the time, being obsessed with Quake, I didn't think it was possible to replicate the FPS feel on a console but Halo proved me (and many others) wrong. Arguably Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters were the games that showed an FPS does work on a console with gamepads but I always struggled to play them as the framerate was so poor - being spoiled by higher performance PCs created a lot of expectation problems for consoles. Anyway Halo absolutely perfected the feel and many other essentials of narrative, AI and multiplayer. It, like many games, borrowed a lot of ideas from Half Life but getting that experience onto console was a great move by Microsoft.

Poor excuse for a segue into the best / most influential FPSs of all time according to me that I've made up on the spot today. We all love lists. :D

1. Quake
2. DooM
3. Half Life 2
4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
5. Halo: CE
6. Halo 2
7. Half Life
8. Perfect Dark
9. GoldenEye
10. Doom Eternal

I would have had Wolfenstein 3d in there for being influential (though Doom perfected the ideas that it started). The intro of the orignal Half Life was pretty influential just by running a real time story opening in the game engine. Cannot disagree with may of those though. I have a soft spot for online Titanfall as it was the last online shooter I was any good at and I would possibly consider Battlefield 3 for online play. Of the Halo games, I always had a soft spot for Reach and, whilst I know that they are formulaic, I love a bit of Far Cry with 3 being a true classic. Also got to admire Crysis 3 simply due to the fact that it can still challenge modern graphics cards nearly a decade after release. Modern Warfare was probably the game that got the masses into FPS even though I would argue that Call of Duty 2 was probably a better game overall and the Medal of Honour D-Day landings scene was better than anything that COD ever produced.