Game Golf User Group

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Or.. just put it in your pocket :) Tagging works fine through clothes and the device is small enough not to be a nuisance.

Far too bulky for my pocket.....maybe just about OK in a jacket but couldn't cope with it in trouser pockets in summer.

Just seen the comments re a pro version, so might improvise until I have had a look at that option!

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
For those interested in the Pro version and move away from tagging, this thread on the Sand Trap gives some helpful insight. Hope its not a problem to post a link for another forum here!

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/96385-game-golf-pro/?tab=comments#comment-1357604&searchlight=1

Launch in April, likely cost $250, so in line with Across, but maybe offering existing users a discount upgrading.

Looks good to me, if only to avoid their rubbish belt clip system. However, some negatives, including the need for batteries in the tags, albeit with a claimed 2 year life. Some clever tech it seems....they go into sleep mode when the club is upside down in your bag!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very impressed with their customer service or just Service in general

Emailed them today after weeks of thinking about it but never remembering .. basically my par 3 course is mapped (so useful) but two of the holes are wrong . Just the wrong way round so goes weird tagging

Replied within an hour and the change is made :)

Can’t wait to get back out there

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Yet another comment about outstanding customer service. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I broke my Original Classic belt clip (again). E-mailed them and got a reply within an hour or so saying they will ship a replacement, but one for the Live version as that was more sturdy.

Within 4 days it arrived. The Live version clip is far sturdier and looks like it won't fall off easily or break (fingers crossed). Was a bit fiddly to fit as the screws are partly concealed by the clip, but managed without too much hassle.

Brilliant service again. Still contemplating upgrading to Live, but hoping they do another discount once the pro version is launched! Still on at £109 via Groupon but hoping for a bit more off (I know...greedy!).

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd had a number of tags break and so started to use the spare tags (replacing 3W, 4I and 7I), however I tend to swap and change clubs quite often and was finding I had to keep moving the tags around and the associated reconfiguration. Contacted GG CS and they immediately shipped me replacements for the broken tags. Top notch service.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Iv never had an issue with the Clip breaking its also not in the way at all I clip it on the front of my belt above my right pocket and is fine I could see how the tags could break as they can take a beating being on the top of the grip, I'm looking forward to the new system and think I might go for it if it reviews well, my gg name is kris nolan/casuk if you want to add me

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pre-order for the new Pro version is now available with a discount for early adopters. it ships early January.

http://www.gamegolf.com/home/en-us/

I’ve had a few emails about it

I just can’t see myself buying it

I upgraded to live for like £100 in June 2017. sold my game golf original (which I bought second hand for £80) to my mate with the new tags from the live for £50

The live is brilliant and I’m so used to it (got my original in June 2016) that I can’t imagine paying £200 plus just for the ability to not tag. It’s second nature now

However for brand new users or people who didn’t like tagging it’s a great step forward

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ordered mine - sold my live version to a friend (who is happy to wait until I receive the pro).

Do I need it - no but I can afford to upgrade so why not!

My friend has been testing it and has been impressed.

Visit site
Yet another comment about outstanding customer service. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I broke my Original Classic belt clip (again). E-mailed them and got a reply within an hour or so saying they will ship a replacement, but one for the Live version as that was more sturdy.

Within 4 days it arrived. The Live version clip is far sturdier and looks like it won't fall off easily or break (fingers crossed). Was a bit fiddly to fit as the screws are partly concealed by the clip, but managed without too much hassle.

Brilliant service again. Still contemplating upgrading to Live, but hoping they do another discount once the pro version is launched! Still on at £109 via Groupon but hoping for a bit more off (I know...greedy!).

I had exactly the same service from them with my classic clip. The new clip is far more sturdy.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After several delays I received my Pro unit and I can't say I'm too impressed at the moment and I haven't even tried it on the course yet.

Charging of the medallion seems a bit flakey, the charge level seemed to top out at 85% and if anything was dropping even though it was still plugged in. I put it to one side for day or so and when I turned it on it was now fully charged. Strange.

Today I went through the process of pairing each tag to a club, that went OK for the first 13 clubs but when I tried the last one it just would not see the tag, probably a dead tag, I have messaged Game Golf support about this.

The application on my iPhone has a new setting called Tag Management where you can see which clubs have a paired tag and what the battery level of the tag is. Some are, as expected, at 100% but a few came out of the box at 70/80% which seems strange. One was even reporting 44% at one point but later said 70%. So I'm not sure battery level reporting is to be trusted.

When you click on a tag it shows more detailed info such as hardware ID and firmware level. There is also a manual firmware update button, when I clicked on this it said the firmware for the tag was old and needed an update, so I started an update. The first thing it tells you is to power off the medallion, which I did. You then touch the supplied divot device magnet to the top of tag to start the update, and it started. The box then displayed has a confusing "Please do not switch off your GAME GOLF device" message, even though the previous step made you turn it off. Anyway each tag update take 5 minutes or so, so a pain to do all 14. In theory the update should happen automatically when you are playing so maybe manually updating is unnecessary unless there was a serious bug that stopped it from working normally. The next issue is that after updating a few tags I went back to tag I had previously updated and the version seemed to reverted to the old one. So like the battery reporting I'm not sure the version reporting is working reliably.

I tried to manually update the tag for my driver and it went through the startup process but has stuck at 0%. There is no cancel button and I have no idea if it safe to restart the application at this point so I'm now effectively stuck. I've messaged GG support but they are not the fastest at replying.

So my feeling at this point is that the Pro device isn't ready for prime time.

Edit: I restarted the app and was able to update the tag as normal. However still seeing previously updated tags reverting to the old versions.

Last edited:

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After several delays I received my Pro unit and I can't say I'm too impressed at the moment and I haven't even tried it on the course yet.
Thank you for a detailed report! Won’t be going for the Pro then...

To be honest, while most comments here are positive, I’ve never been impressed with GG quality/support. Stopped using mine last year as the battery didn’t hold charge any more. Still have 2 sets of tags lieing useless...

Maybe it’s time to look at Arcos again... though my experience with their first version wasn’t great either ;)

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
You might want to check the comments on other forums as well.... I actually haven’t seen one good report about it. Lots of people reporting problems to GG but they’ve not been responding either.

I ordered the latest Arccos and have pre ordered the link to go with it. Used Arccos at the weekend with no issues at all. There new Facebook page is excellent with them and users all Sharing ideas tips and help. Superb company. Arccos even setup two versions of my home course as it’s reversed during the winter rounds. Awesome service.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You might want to check the comments on other forums as well.... I actually haven’t seen one good report about it. Lots of people reporting problems to GG but they’ve not been responding either.

I ordered the latest Arccos and have pre ordered the link to go with it. Used Arccos at the weekend with no issues at all. There new Facebook page is excellent with them and users all Sharing ideas tips and help. Superb company. Arccos even setup two versions of my home course as it’s reversed during the winter rounds. Awesome service.
Praise when it's due, however, my experience with the first version wasn't great. The key difference between tagging with GG and auto-tagging with Arccos was for me that you forget to tag with GC - OK, my fault, but with Arccos - the club didn't register - it's the product, the technology and it is more frustrating :)

Also didn't like that you have to start the app on the phone, download the course, then play... whereas with GC - turn the device on and play... Arccos' dashboard is also worse (imo) than GG with only one better feature which is hole's history (overlaying how you played this hole in multiple rounds).

Nothing's perfect :)