Fundraising idea?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Morning all, been thinking about a golf related way to raise money for a good cause, and wondered if this idea is something you all would participate in?

A donation of 1 brand new golf ball.

My thought process is, if I could get around 1000 balls, I could then auction them off in their relevant dozens.

The cost would work out approx £3.50 + postage. But realistically none of us would notice one proV etc missing from our golfbag.

Please let me know your thoughts, and whether you would help me get the ball rolling? (Excuse the pun)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Without wanting to pour cold water on the idea, what is your target auction audience and would they really buy a dozen balls at an auction when they can either have an abundance anyway (I have more balls at home than even I can lose including many still in boxes - and yes I do give them to raffle prizes etc). I'd definitely have no issue giving a brand new ball to the cause but just worry about the viability. May just be me

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I agree with Homer. I can't see an auction going very high for what is essentially just a box of golf balls you can buy in a shop. Although if you're just going to sell them on at cost price I suppose you make money anyway since you obtained them for free. You'd just have to sell quite a lot. I suppose it could work yeah, I think it's just the word 'auction' I took issue with. :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Won't miss a Pro V1 :eek::eek:. Where is a picture of Gollum when you need one :LOL:.

I'd be happy to send a new ball across, not a problem but the cost of counselling prevents it from being a ProV1 :D.

Whether it works is all about the numbers you can get together. Get enough and you are away. It may end up being more work than it is worth but if you don't try then you wont know. Fund raising is hard work and I empathise with your aim of finding something a little different.

Good luck and post up if you want to go ahead with this.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I agree with Homer. I can't see an auction going very high for what is essentially just a box of golf balls you can buy in a shop. Although if you're just going to sell them on at cost price I suppose you make money anyway since you obtained them for free. You'd just have to sell quite a lot. I suppose it could work yeah, I think it's just the word 'auction' I took issue with. :)
I don’t really mean auction as such. I’m thinking of selling them in dozens at under the cost of full retails. So basically a standard sale

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t really mean auction as such. I’m thinking of selling them in dozens at under the cost of full retails. So basically a standard sale
Yeah that makes more sense. You'd easily be able to sell them then, for someone purchasing, if it's one or two quid cheaper than retail price, and you know the money is going to charity, that should be a no-brainer really.

D

Deleted member 21258

I like your idea (y) and you could always use ebay/facebook/gumtree etc to sell the balls.

I would donate a new ball or a ream of balls, to a good cause that I believe in, whats the cause ?

Finding a large number of people to make this happen, could be a problem. Also something I found out is that if you could 'just' get people to donate the equivalent money with gift aid to the charity, then the charity would receive more money (however this is harder to do :cry:)

Best of luck tho, anybody that spends time/money to raise monies for charities is doing a good thing and needs all the help you can give.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Morning all, been thinking about a golf related way to raise money for a good cause, and wondered if this idea is something you all would participate in?

A donation of 1 brand new golf ball.

My thought process is, if I could get around 1000 balls, I could then auction them off in their relevant dozens.

The cost would work out approx £3.50 + postage. But realistically none of us would notice one proV etc missing from our golfbag.

Please let me know your thoughts, and whether you would help me get the ball rolling? (Excuse the pun)

Its a nice idea but makes a lot of hard work for you and as has been mentioned potentially quite expensive in terms of postage etc. What is the charity and whats your target figure ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep, would happily send a box over. Buy on Amazon, use the Prime delivery I have and get them delivered straight to you. Costs me nothing more than the price of a dozen balls.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the input guys. I’ll be honest it was an idea that came into my mind about 8:35 this morning on the school walk and I’d posted it on here for feedback at 8:41.

So it would take some thinking through but I just liked the idea as a way to maybe make a few £ for a charity (thinking shelter), and I’d like to think maybe through social media, my contacts etc (maybe GM putting something in the magazine?!) I could make it work

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sell all my stuff on Facebook in minutes. 2 dozen £75. Gone

My experience over the years is that other means of advertising a very much area related. I live in a semi rural area and switched to ebay many years ago with greater success.

In recent years we have lost the 'Yellow' papers in our area probably because of the no initial cost methods of selling available now.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
My experience over the years is that other means of advertising a very much area related. I live in a semi rural area and switched to ebay many years ago with greater success.

In recent years we have lost the 'Yellow' papers in our area probably because of the no initial cost methods of selling available now.
It’s a national Facebook golf group. Without a doubt the best place to sell everything with no fees

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you could get some of the Grammar spelling police, pedantics , troolers and moaners from the forum, to sit for a custard pie throwing comp or water dunking comp.
Ask for volunteers or nominations :D
I reckon you'd be on a winner.:ROFLMAO: