Completely new and utterly clueless...

Jaarus

Hacker
Visit site
Hello,
I have just recently started playing golf (badly) but definitely been bitten by the bug!
It came about quite by chance actually.

A friend has been trying to get me to come a play for a while but I always made an excuse. The real reason I kept trying to get out of it was the somewhat prohibitive cost of equipment on TOP of green fees.

Anyway rather drunk at a Christmas party his brother approached me and asked if I wanted his old clubs, for free, as he was downsizing. Well, it sounded like a good idea at the time.
The next thing I know - I now really have no excuse not to go and play, at least once, with my friend to see what its all about.

The worst possible thing happened....

I loved it.

Since then I have played a handful of times (same course - its very cheap compared to all the other local courses) and also been to the driving range a fair few times as well. Definitely improving and my rounte around the course has stopped being quite so 'scenic'.

My friend has a well payed job and loves to show off in everything he does, golf being no exception (we call him 'Boycie' behind his back, a la 'Only fools and horses') so he has a very swish looking bag with a lovely set of Ping Eye 2 irons and a swanky driver (cant recall which right now, just that it cost £150 2nd hand - see what I mean, I know how much his stuff cost for heavens sake??! Hahaha) all of which is in stark comparison to the aged leather carry bag filled with a full set (Irons, woods and putter) of Mitsushiba 'Tour Tech Series' clubs which I am slugging around with me.

In my few outings I have dropped from a round of 120 ish (yes I know!!) to about 95 and I could get it down further, if only I could hit the ball farther.
Whilst its probably me - I dont think the clubs are helping much as my friend (granted he is better than me but not by much, especially considering he has been playing golf for years) always has about 20 yards on me.
Even I pick the next club up from him to compensate, and hit it perfectly, he still has a few yards on me.

(sorry, I do ramble on...)

Aaaaaaaaanyway, lets get to a point shall we? My birthday coming up and I have.... ta da daaaa.... £50 to spend on some new (2nd hand) irons to replace those I have currently.
I managed to replace the putter with an old Ping Anser slotline (£4 from a charity shop and an hour cleaning it gently to keep the patina and it looks fabulous and putts far better than the awful TTS one!)

Lots of clubs known to me pass throough eBay but always end up a touch over budget - e.g Eye 2's end up around £80 ish including postage.
So should I keep looking for Ping ISI, Eye 2, Taylormade Burners, DCI's etc to fall withing budget or are there clubs, less well known, that are just as good?

Perhaps eBay isnt the best place to look?

Basically just posted to say hello but if you have some advice or guidance then please do say, I would really appreciate it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
welcome :)

as for clubs maybe worth looking at a couple of mid range brands which still make decent clubs, the 2 that spring to mind are MD Golf and Benross

ebay is worth keeping an eye on but you may not get the greatest of bargains there, keep an eye on local papers and boot sales if possible (I know someone who bought a set of ping eye 2s for £5 recently, the seller only actually wanted £1 but he felt guilty lol)

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Another vote for Benross or maybe Wilson Staff di7 clubs but likely to be nearer to £100

Personally i would wait until you save a bit more say £100 and get a better set such as di7 as they will be far better in the long run

Jaarus

Hacker
Visit site
Wise words.

I used to do archery and know from personal experience that buying good quality 2nd hand is the way to go as opposed to a shiny but cheap new stuff. I grew into my set-up compared to others who spent a fortune upgrading their gear every couple of years as they improved.

I wish I had more money (heck dont we all) but £50...ish is my limit really. So maybe £70 before I get into real trouble LOL!!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello Jaarus.

My mate has been told by his missus to clear out his excess golf clubs. I know he has some Taylor made firseole irons and possibly some others which are over 5 years old but are top end clubs, just a bit older. They may not suit a beginner, but he would probably listen to offers for less than £80.00. I'll get the list if what he's got.

Where about are you?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bugger, a bit far.

I've just spoke to him, he is just looking to get rid for a decent price.

He's got:-

1 set of taylor made supersteel approx 5-6 years old, he thinks.

1 set of taylor made firesole approx 5-6 years old, he thinks.

1 set of Aronold Palmer irons, not sure which model.

He also has various weges, hybrids, putters, driver, 3 woods etc.

I can send pictures if you PM me your e-mail address. He can do a bundle of clubs for maybe £120 including iron set, hybrid, putter, 3 wood etc. Get independent advice first, but they are top end golf clubs, but for a fraction of what the new price was. Also check for your suitability.

I can send courier for him, but would be an extra £10 on top, unless you can arrange any collection.