From mid handicap to scratch.

darriusdax

Visit site
I was an awful junior, 14 handicapper when i worked at Gleneagles hotel, and now at the age of 47 have far more time on my hands and am getting back in to golf - just got a new 14 handicap at my local course.. I have great facilities, plan to get fitted clubs ( never had a good set before ), I have no problem with distance but i am not accurate... I have given myself the aim of getting to scratch within two years, I would love to know from scratch golfers which areas to spend most time on to lower my scores. I know it seems a crazy target, but i am a determined bugger and have already seen massive improvements by working on chipping technique, i have started work with a personal trainer on the fitness side of things.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Welcome
Not many scratch on here I'm afraid...
You've set yourself a difficult target. Getting to 5 or 6 will be hard enough, scratch is another level and then some.
Good luck with it but try to not let it take over your life.
Really and truly you have to work on all parts of your game
If one of them isn't working then it won't happen.
If you're already off 14 then I'm going to assume you're not a terrible putter but with room for a bit of improvement.
However, if you're not accurate I'd work on keeping the ball in play off they're and hitting greens in regulation.
Good luck.

darriusdax

Visit site
Please please dont do a blog vlog or story of the attempt, however I wish you good luck
Thats exactly what i planned, got 5 videos on drive already to be cut together with the other 365 videos over the next 2 years ha ha ha ha ha ha..... I can start a mini blog with you,,, tonight i drove the second and holed the 20 footer for eagle, then got an 8 on the par four 9th ..... my issues in a nutshell... inconsistent. Im glad you like blogs......

darriusdax

Visit site
Welcome
Not many scratch on here I'm afraid...
You've set yourself a difficult target. Getting to 5 or 6 will be hard enough, scratch is another level and then some.
Good luck with it but try to not let it take over your life.
Really and truly you have to work on all parts of your game
If one of them isn't working then it won't happen.
If you're already off 14 then I'm going to assume you're not a terrible putter but with room for a bit of improvement.
However, if you're not accurate I'd work on keeping the ball in play off they're and hitting greens in regulation.
Good luck.
thanks for the welcome and the wisdom.. i think you are right.. if i am off 6 in 2 years time i guess i would still be delighted.. cheers.

User20204

Visit site
Good luck I wish the best, however, and I'll try and be polite, don't get your hopes up. there will be a new handicapping system in place by then but even so, as a cat 1 player myself, it is incredibly hard to get down low. Just think how many times you will need to be below the css alone to get a shot off your handicap when your a cat 1 player, that's why I have such admiration for guys that play off of 1 or below.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As difficult as it is, some say near impossible, someone has to do it. If you are that determined, with the right attitude and approach, have enough money, time and patience then why not - someone has to

darriusdax

Visit site
To be a scratch golfer ALL parts of your game need to be good.
Do you enjoy practicing ?
I have surprised myself, i used to be one of those guys on the range pretending to enjoy 7 irons but really hitting 70pc driver till my arm falls off.... but now with reasonable facilities at my new club i enjoy spending an hour hitting chips around the practice green... have now noticed that when faced with the same shots on the course i am filled with confidence and am getting down in 2 more often than not...... my main problem is that i cant hit my irons... but i have discovered that i was sold xp95 shafts... the lightest and flexiest... i am 6ft1 and swing fast... totally wrong, so i am saving a grand to get fitted at Scott Gourlay... europe renowned fitters. thanks for your support

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
From a simple numbers perspective I would expect you to get to around 3 within your first 12 months if you are going to stand a chance of ever making scr

14 to 6 simply requires consistency and has no great reflection on being great at any aspect.

6 to 3 is going to require another level on, and around, the greens

3 to 2 is as great a step change as the above - so you get the picture in relation to the end goal.

Good luck.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have surprised myself, i used to be one of those guys on the range pretending to enjoy 7 irons but really hitting 70pc driver till my arm falls off.... but now with reasonable facilities at my new club i enjoy spending an hour hitting chips around the practice green... have now noticed that when faced with the same shots on the course i am filled with confidence and am getting down in 2 more often than not...... my main problem is that i cant hit my irons... but i have discovered that i was sold xp95 shafts... the lightest and flexiest... i am 6ft1 and swing fast... totally wrong, so i am saving a grand to get fitted at Scott Gourlay... europe renowned fitters. thanks for your support

That's good news.
I was similar to you in that my iron play was inconsistent but my scrambling was pretty good so kept me off 2.

As I said previously, to be a scratch golfer ALL parts of your game need to be good and that takes practice.
If you enjoy practicing then that will help.

One thing to consider......
As you get down to 5 and below (cat I), you will start to attract the attention of the club's team captains and maybe even county scouts.
It's very nice to represent your club and your county but don't say yes to every invite or you can get distracted from your ultimate goal.
However, you may find getting down to cat I will be enough and just enjoy being a good golfer.

darriusdax

Visit site
From a simple numbers perspective I would expect you to get to around 3 within your first 12 months if you are going to stand a chance of ever making scr

14 to 6 simply requires consistency and has no great reflection on being great at any aspect.

6 to 3 is going to require another level on, and around, the greens

3 to 2 is as great a step change as the above - so you get the picture in relation to the end goal.

Good luck.
thats an eye opener indeed.. but i do remember how tough it was once i got below 18.. suddenly you dont have a shot every hole.. so i can only imagine how tough mentally it will be say for example you bogey the first hole.. a bad kick or a cold putt ( my course 1st is a 250yrd par 3 ) suddenly you are already one over and trying to get it back..... I think the mental side of the game is going to be the real challenge... Last night i was playing well... level after 6 and fluffed the easy par 3 7th... mentally lost it and went double quad to be plus 7 after 9.... that has to stop.. the fact that i was tired is no excuse... Played 36 holes over weekend and 9 monday night... someone did warn me that playing on the course too much is bad... time in gym and at the range doing specific disciplines can be even more effective. thanks for your time and thoughts.

User20204

Visit site
You need to be shooting 3/4 birdies a round every round, that's what I see when I look at the low guys round our track, if you can't manage that, be happy to get as low as you can but reading your posts, that's a bit away yet.

darriusdax

Visit site
You need to be shooting 3/4 birdies a round every round, that's what I see when I look at the low guys round our track, if you can't manage that, be happy to get as low as you can but reading your posts, that's a bit away yet.
Eagle and a bird in yesterdays 9holes... but a double and quad bogey also.... arghhh

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am aiming for a far lesser goal and it is still proving a hard challenge. I only want to get to single figures. As a result I wish you the best of luck. It seems to be a popular quest to get to scratch and while many have tried I can't think of too many that have made it so don't let it take all of the fun from the game and be a millstone around your neck. Go out, work hard, practice diligently and play well and see where it takes you

darriusdax

Visit site
I am aiming for a far lesser goal and it is still proving a hard challenge. I only want to get to single figures. As a result I wish you the best of luck. It seems to be a popular quest to get to scratch and while many have tried I can't think of too many that have made it so don't let it take all of the fun from the game and be a millstone around your neck. Go out, work hard, practice diligently and play well and see where it takes you
Cheers homer... keep me updated on your progress... i will occassionaly uodate the forum and share any nuggets i gleen... the physical training part is what daunts me but i think it will be the foundation.