Frequency of Handicap Committee meetings.

Yeomanterry

Visit site
A team we have a friendly against us claimed they meet once a year in February. Yes they easily beat us home and away.
Ours meets once a month at least in the summer.
How often does your Handicap Committee meet?

NearHull

Visit site
We have a Competition and Handixap Committee and carry out most of our business on line but meet three times a year to carry out ‘formal’ Handicap Reviews. We will carry out a handicap review of a member on line if the circumstances merit it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Prior to the WHS (when I was chairman) once a month because we were also the competitions committee and continuous review reports were done as required.

These days the handicap part is done once a year (annual review) unless something crops up like a player review request or peer review request.

IanMcC

Visit site
We only meet when there are pressing issues, but we keep in touch constantly by email and WhatsApp.

Yeomanterry

Visit site
Thanks, we find that members can play far better than there handicap over a period of 8 weeks and then they are cut as the system does not bring there handicap down but frequently will give them 0.4 back if they have one bad round.

Yeomanterry

Visit site
Shurely shome mishtake ?
Colin, I quite agree it should be a mistake, but according to WHS when I asked they pointed out the item coming off was when i played 4 shots lower than nett par (Cut 0.1) and the game on the day that counted was 1 shot above nett Par so I was given 0.4 back? They say it averages out. But so far WHS has cut me 3 shots since October 2024 (40 handicap) and i am playing off 28 handicap now and still coming 3rd / 4th in competitions. the club has cut me 9 shots. or I would have been creaming the awards in. Not a good scenario in any club you have just joined.
I personally do not think the system works and favours golfers looking after their hndicaps rather than trying to improve them.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't 't quite mean a mistake by the WHS system. How do you expect your handicap to be managed effectively by the WHS system when your club is intervening and reducing your handicap index by up to 9 strokes?

Golfloveruk

Visit site
Shoot lower scores and your handicap will come down.

If you haven’t already. Once you have 20 scores in your HI will settle down. There are occasions where you can shoot a good score but a better one drops off. Thats just unfortunate.

Sound to me that the club are interfering where they shouldn’t be and there is a lack of understanding as to how the system works.

4 under net isn’t a particularly low score, and probably fairly common for an improving high handicapper.
Coming 3rd or 4th in your weekly comps isn’t a problem. If you were winning by 4 or 5 points every week then there would be a problem.

Just keep putting cards in a let you index look after itself.