Four man team waiting to putt

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
I play in local opens with a group of three friends all lower handicap than me and really struggle to keep my concentration when it comes to putting out.
The others generally putt first so that I can go for more points. This is ok in theory, but by the time they’ve discussed their putts, putted and discussed their scores, I’ve lost the will to live. I then attempt my par putt, all eyes on me, silence when I miss!
Concentration gone out the window.
Any suggestions for staying in the putting zone?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If the others generally put before you that usually means you're inside them, yet they are lower handicap than you, seems a good problem to have. I do question why they are discussing their scores before you've even putted, seems poor etiquette.

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
The discussion about scores is to get the highest team score, I’m sometimes the only person with a shot so have a putt to get a 3 point. The problem is I stand there for so long waiting, then the pressures on to sink the putt.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If they're putting first, use it to your advantage to study the line, store of the green etc.

I reckon my make% is about double if I've seen a putt anywhere near my line, so I'm always pleased to go last.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The discussion about scores is to get the highest team score, I’m sometimes the only person with a shot so have a putt to get a 3 point. The problem is I stand there for so long waiting, then the pressures on to sink the putt.

If it's part of a team you should explain your issue with your team partners and then they should may be allow you to go first.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's part of a team you should explain your issue with your team partners and then they should may be allow you to go first.

This is my thought as well. Just ask to go 1st or 2nd rather than last. Some people like going last, whether off the tee or putting, others prefer not to. You are a team, they should listen to what you say.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If, as it seems, this is a team scoring event the answer is simple - keep them involved rather than talking and use them to take all the pressure off!

They are the low handicappers - ask them to tell you the line. Now you only have the hero easy bit of rolling the ball on that line.

No reading the green, no cares about the next putt (it's rare you will have 2 putts to be on the score sheet and, if you do, everyone will be concentrating for you anyway).

Alternatively - always putt in the normal order. Leave the scoring considerations until after the holes finished. Many teams gain more on focus and concentration than they lose on any uncertainty at the time of putting.

Final option, go and play in individual opens 🤗

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Higher handicapper with shot putts first knowing rest of team there as backup. Reduces stress on the putt and other more experienced players help with line and encourage you to 'go for it'. It's going to be rare I suggest that the more nervous higher handicapper will be putting for birdie - rather (s)he'll be putting for par net birdie. It's the job of at least one of the other three in the team to have a birdie putt themselves to support the player with the shot - it's not the job of the higher handicapper to be carrying the hopes of the team.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tell them you do not like putting last as it stresses you too much and you want putt earlier. I would let at least one of them putt first though, so you can learn something from their putt.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Visualise the putt going in. Stand over it and putt, if it misses it misses. Move on, you did your best.

It sounds more like a nervous issue than a "time" issue.