Football Manager 2020 & FM Touch

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We lost the FA Cup final 3-0 to Liverpool and finished 6th in the league, but I didn't get sacked so I'm carrying on with Spurs while I try a few things out. Managed to sign Moussa Dembele (the Lyon striker) and Florentino Luis (wonderkid DM). I'm going to try these roles in the new season:

Dembele (AF-A) - Kane (CF-S)
Alli (AM-A)
Lo Celso (AP-S) - Ndombele (BBM-S)
Luis (DM-D)
Davies/Rose(FB-S) - Toby(BPD-D) - Sanchez(BPD-D) - De Sciglio/Foyth(FB-S)
Lloris (SK-S)
Still haven't really decided on Kane's role. He's kind of mediocre at 'pressing forward' so I haven't put that on. He doesn't uproot trees as a complete forward either though really.

Trying to sell Son and Lucas so I can maybe splash a bit more cash before the deadline. Not sure where is most needed though.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, if I was managing Spurs, I'd go:

-----------------------Lloris (SK-S)---------------------
De Sciglio (WB-S)-Sanchez--Toby----Davies (WB-S)-
------------Luis (DLP-D)----Ndombele (BBM-S)------
--Lucas (W-S)--------Alli (AM-S)------Son (IW-A)---
------------------------Kane (AF-A)----------------------

As for where to improve - I'd be looking at the wing backs, especially in your system. They're going to be providing the bulk of the width and the guys you've got in those positions just aren't going to be good enough for you to win titles. De Sciglio's not great on FM, pretty meh attributes across the board and Foyth is better at CB, and then Davies is decent but could definitely find better. LB is a stacked position on FM. At LB I'd be looking at Augustinsson, Alex Telles or Ait-Nouri and then at RB I'd be looking at Youcef Atal, Serg Dest or if you've got the cash - Max Aarons. I'd also look to bring in another winger - big fan of Federico Chiesa or you could look at David Neres or Javi Ontiveros as cheaper options or if you want to bring in a couple of younger players as backups Filip Stevanovic and Rayan Cherki become excellent.

Started a save as Newcastle with the takeover added last night. Even with £65m starting budget it's not enough, this squad is a mess. Managed to sell Clark, Ritchie, Saivet, Krafth, Muto, Colback, Manquillo and Gayle which bolstered the transfer budget a little and allowed me to bring in Augustinsson, Florentino Luis, Edouard, N'Dicka and then 3 talented youth players - Armini, Unuvar and Amad Traore. Season didn't exactly start well though, lost the first game 3-0 to Bournemouth. Going to take some work to get this team playing some decent football.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
We lost the FA Cup final 3-0 to Liverpool and finished 6th in the league, but I didn't get sacked so I'm carrying on with Spurs while I try a few things out. Managed to sign Moussa Dembele (the Lyon striker) and Florentino Luis (wonderkid DM). I'm going to try these roles in the new season:

Dembele (AF-A) - Kane (CF-S)
Alli (AM-A)
Lo Celso (AP-S) - Ndombele (BBM-S)
Luis (DM-D)
Davies/Rose(FB-S) - Toby(BPD-D) - Sanchez(BPD-D) - De Sciglio/Foyth(FB-S)
Lloris (SK-S)
Still haven't really decided on Kane's role. He's kind of mediocre at 'pressing forward' so I haven't put that on. He doesn't uproot trees as a complete forward either though really.

Trying to sell Son and Lucas so I can maybe splash a bit more cash before the deadline. Not sure where is most needed though.
looks good, bit more balance. Are you playing the offside trap? if not i'd switch a CB to cover, whichever is quickest and has best anticipation. I'd also maybe swap Dembele and Kane sides around, but keep there roles, Kane will be dropping into the space Ndombele is looking to come into, but before i'd do that i'd check if Kane and Dembele have a preferred side. (i think its on the page that tells you about the roles they play off top of head). Only a personal preference but i'd change Dembele to a Poacher as well, i wouldnt want him leaving the box.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I did the first five games of the season with my tactics above, won none of them and got sacked. I had only saved it up to just before the first game though so I can try again. I just don't understand this game though. I can't see why that line-up wouldn't have worked. :confused: We were the better team in three of the games, but managed two draws and a loss in those. But we were comfortably outplayed by Chelsea and Man Utd.

As for where to improve - I'd be looking at the wing backs, especially in your system. They're going to be providing the bulk of the width and the guys you've got in those positions just aren't going to be good enough for you to win titles. De Sciglio's not great on FM, pretty meh attributes across the board and Foyth is better at CB, and then Davies is decent but could definitely find better. LB is a stacked position on FM. At LB I'd be looking at Augustinsson, Alex Telles or Ait-Nouri and then at RB I'd be looking at Youcef Atal, Serg Dest or if you've got the cash - Max Aarons. I'd also look to bring in another winger - big fan of Federico Chiesa or you could look at David Neres or Javi Ontiveros as cheaper options or if you want to bring in a couple of younger players as backups Filip Stevanovic and Rayan Cherki become excellent.

Started a save as Newcastle with the takeover added last night. Even with £65m starting budget it's not enough, this squad is a mess. Managed to sell Clark, Ritchie, Saivet, Krafth, Muto, Colback, Manquillo and Gayle which bolstered the transfer budget a little and allowed me to bring in Augustinsson, Florentino Luis, Edouard, N'Dicka and then 3 talented youth players - Armini, Unuvar and Amad Traore. Season didn't exactly start well though, lost the first game 3-0 to Bournemouth. Going to take some work to get this team playing some decent football.
As I said though, I started the save with a 4-2-3-1 and all the wingers were absolutely shocking. Start of season two I had Son and Lucas on the transfer list because they were useless. Lo Celso is pretty much my best player so I wouldn't be leaving him out either - but he can't play out wide.

After spending £25m on Moussa Dembele and £35 on Luis I didn't have money left for full backs, since nobody bought Son or Lucas. :LOL:

I might try it without any of the preset 'styles' and just use 'clean slate' and put my own instructions in. All the presets seem a bit cluttered.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site

haha, you are a fan of Augustinsson. As a Newcastle fan i always have at least one save with them, it does get a bit repetitive (2 seasons consolidate, then champs league then win the league, rinse and repeat every iteration). But i try and mix it up and play either a Keegan inspired save or Robson save. I tried to get a keegan entertainers inspired 442 to work with the wingers in the AM stratas. It was doing ok until i managed to sign Haaland at end of first season (before winter update), and then it just went mental and i won everything going. Also signed the young dembele from celtic who was superb and as you've mentioned Max Aarons.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I did the first five games of the season with my tactics above, won none of them and got sacked. I had only saved it up to just before the first game though so I can try again. I just don't understand this game though. I can't see why that line-up wouldn't have worked. :confused: We were the better team in three of the games, but managed two draws and a loss in those. But we were comfortably outplayed by Chelsea and Man Utd.

As I said though, I started the save with a 4-2-3-1 and all the wingers were absolutely shocking. Start of season two I had Son and Lucas on the transfer list because they were useless. Lo Celso is pretty much my best player so I wouldn't be leaving him out either - but he can't play out wide.

After spending £25m on Moussa Dembele and £35 on Luis I didn't have money left for full backs, since nobody bought Son or Lucas. :LOL:

I might try it without any of the preset 'styles' and just use 'clean slate' and put my own instructions in. All the presets seem a bit cluttered.
I start with the presets and then remove bits i dont want/like. so with your formation i'd start with Vertical Tiki Taka and remove the underlap command (no one to underlap anyway) and i'd maybe tweak the lines of engagement depending on how quick my CBs are. The other main consideration is the mentality, with a team set up like yours you can probably set it too attacking and get the team to play quicker (in theory). too much passing and the opposition will be able to sit back and get a block in place.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I start with the presets and then remove bits i dont want/like. so with your formation i'd start with Vertical Tiki Taka and remove the underlap command (no one to underlap anyway) and i'd maybe tweak the lines of engagement depending on how quick my CBs are. The other main consideration is the mentality, with a team set up like yours you can probably set it too attacking and get the team to play quicker (in theory). too much passing and the opposition will be able to sit back and get a block in place.
Vertical tiki taka is the one I was using! :ROFLMAO: I gave up on the high line as we routinely get rinsed with that so I went to standard defensive line (and standard engagement to match). I usually had Positive or Attacking with the slightly quicker tempo. Literally none of this works, I'm at a loss what you're meant to do. :cautious:

Wolf

Visit site
Vertical tiki taka is the one I was using! :ROFLMAO: I gave up on the high line as we routinely get rinsed with that so I went to standard defensive line (and standard engagement to match). I usually had Positive or Attacking with the slightly quicker tempo. Literally none of this works, I'm at a loss what you're meant to do. :cautious:
Sounds like a terrible game ?

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a terrible game ?
but highly addictive...

I'd persevere with the high line but switch a CB to cover. But this is all part of the fun, the infuriating attempts to get a tactic to work, take over Barca, you'll find you still struggle.

As Dan has mentioed Gegenpress is usually the most overpowered preset. might be worth giving that a go.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing I haven't tried is a back three. I might try that although I'd probably need to buy better wing backs.

Dembele - Kane

Lo Celso - Ndombele
Rose - - - Luis - - - Aurier
Vertonghen - Sanchez - Toby

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I havent played an FM for years, too much time investment for me versus the time I actually have to properly get the value. I would have loved how detailed it is now about 10-15 years ago but life has moved on!

But I did exactly this - got bored and downloaded 2020 Touch on the iPad at the start of lockdown. Similarities end there though - I found it incredibly easy!

Started as Fulham, got promoted in season 1, mid-table season 2. Got hired by Leicester who were awful, came about 14th but expected Euro qual in Year 1. I sold a couple of high value players and rebuilt completely - was in top 6 all season and had a nightmare finish to come 7th, plus lost a cup final. The idiots sacked me!

Spurs immediately offered me the gig, signed Kimmich and Asensio won Europa Cup 2 and came 4th in first season. 3rd next season. Then won the league, then came 2nd. Have won the next 6 league titles, gone unbeaten in one, 102 points in another, only one season went to last 2 games. 3 Champs Leagues and an FA Cup too.

Completely net zero spend as well. I find you can sell squad players for massively high values, then I just pick up players that are transfer listed from huge clubs (they hoard players then sell them off) and the odd FT if lucky. Supplement that with a massive signing every couple of years where absolutely necessary (e.g. Kai Havertz to play CAM from year 2, Haaland to replace Kane at 33 etc) and then scout South America for young bargains, loan them out for a few years, some get into first team and others sold for £40m ish to go into the coffers.

I play Gegenpress 4-2-3-1 with Spurs

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I havent played an FM for years, too much time investment for me versus the time I actually have to properly get the value. I would have loved how detailed it is now about 10-15 years ago but life has moved on!

But I did exactly this - got bored and downloaded 2020 Touch on the iPad at the start of lockdown. Similarities end there though - I found it incredibly easy!

Started as Fulham, got promoted in season 1, mid-table season 2. Got hired by Leicester who were awful, came about 14th but expected Euro qual in Year 1. I sold a couple of high value players and rebuilt completely - was in top 6 all season and had a nightmare finish to come 7th, plus lost a cup final. The idiots sacked me!

Spurs immediately offered me the gig, signed Kimmich and Asensio won Europa Cup 2 and came 4th in first season. 3rd next season. Then won the league, then came 2nd. Have won the next 6 league titles, gone unbeaten in one, 102 points in another, only one season went to last 2 games. 3 Champs Leagues and an FA Cup too.

Completely net zero spend as well. I find you can sell squad players for massively high values, then I just pick up players that are transfer listed from huge clubs (they hoard players then sell them off) and the odd FT if lucky. Supplement that with a massive signing every couple of years where absolutely necessary (e.g. Kai Havertz to play CAM from year 2, Haaland to replace Kane at 33 etc) and then scout South America for young bargains, loan them out for a few years, some get into first team and others sold for £40m ish to go into the coffers.

I play Gegenpress 4-2-3-1 with Spurs
I don't think the iPad version is the same game, I have the PC Touch version. iPad one is half the price for a start, so I figure it's a lot simpler version, and therefore easier.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bah. I should probably just start a new save as someone else. Every manager game I pick Spurs and do horribly as them for some reason. On this game they're a particularly bad choice because they have high expectations but give you no money to achieve them.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, the Touch version is the same across devices. I had FM19 Touch on Switch last year and it's the same as the PC version. FM Mobile is the one that's mega scaled down.

Quite tempted to start a save as Spurs now, might start one at lunch and bin off Newcastle, see if I find them as useless as @Orikoru has :p

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, the Touch version is the same across devices. I had FM19 Touch on Switch last year and it's the same as the PC version. FM Mobile is the one that's mega scaled down.

Quite tempted to start a save as Spurs now, might start one at lunch and bin off Newcastle, see if I find them as useless as @Orikoru has :p
My mate who plays did the same as a test after me moaning to him and he didn't have much luck either to be fair. It's almost as if they're programmed to be as bad as we were this season in real life. :LOL:

I need to pick someone with more money but lower expectations. Trying to be Spurs was clearly running before I could even crawl.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate who plays did the same as a test after me moaning to him and he didn't have much luck either to be fair. It's almost as if they're programmed to be as bad as we were this season in real life. :LOL:

I need to pick someone with more money but lower expectations. Trying to be Spurs was clearly running before I could even crawl.

Haha, I'll give it a go and feed back ;)

RB Leipzig could be a good shout. Germany's a fun league to manage in, lower expectations, less competitive league, enough cash to spend and a talented young squad to work with. When I took them over in my GloryHunter I had over £100m to spend in Season 4 and they still had Werner (so he's happy to stick around, which is good as he's awesome), so early finances might not be great but by Season 2 you should have plenty to work with.