Foot golf

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
So I know some pay and play courses need the money, but I think they should keep the foot course away from the main golf course.
On more than one occasion I've found myself aiming for the foot flag, and a long way down the same fairway.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think any decent course has footgolf on the same track, not as their 18 anyway. I've only seen it on cheap 9-holers.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've only seen it on cheap 9-holers.
That's true, but you kind of know that a club that introduces foot golf on the actual fairways is likely to be in some sort of financial trouble. Such is the case with a couple of courses in Anglesey. One near Benllech and the other at Llangefni which I'm told will be closing down at the end of the year. Danny Willett played there as a boy on holiday and he credits it with part of his learning curve.
I also wonder what happens if a golfer inadvertently hits a foot golfer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's true, but you kind of know that a club that introduces foot golf on the actual fairways is likely to be in some sort of financial trouble. Such is the case with a couple of courses in Anglesey. One near Benllech and the other at Llangefni which I'm told will be closing down at the end of the year. Danny Willett played there as a boy on holiday and he credits it with part of his learning curve.
I also wonder what happens if a golfer inadvertently hits a foot golfer.
I don't know about that. It had a big surge in popularity about two years back so I'm sure a lot of clubs tried to cash in.

I do agree it can be dangerous though, footgolfers, particularly younger ones, may not have their wits about them as a seasoned golfer would do and could be more likely to get hit by your standard hacker who's playing the cheap nine holers.

I only know one Footgolf venue that has it as a separate standalone course though, and that's at Richings Park.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So I know some pay and play courses need the money, but I think they should keep the foot course away from the main golf course.
On more than one occasion I've found myself aiming for the foot flag, and a long way down the same fairway.

Did you feel like you had more chance to make the putt though?

Foot Golf is a menace. Nice idea. Keep it away from ANY golf course.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A nearby largish propriety club introduced footgolf a few years ago on their adapted par 3 course. After an initial rush of interest it fell off. They have now abandoned it and refurbished the par 3.

D

Deleted member 18588

Exactly what it sounds like. Cross between football and golf. You kick a football towards a hole (which is obviously much bigger than a golf hole to accommodate the football).

You learn something new every day.

I had never heard of it and certainly never seen it.

Can't really see the attraction but then again i I don't suppose it's aimed at my age group.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Can't really see the attraction but then again i I don't suppose it's aimed at my age group.
I've been several times at various locations. It's great fun if like me, you love playing football and love playing golf, as it has an element of both. In many ways it has greater mass appeal since requires less skill than either football or golf as well. e.g. I have played it with people who certainly don't play golf, and don't really play football either.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are these foot golf holes as long as the golf holes?

We have it on our par 3 9 hole course. couldn't imagine trying to kick a ball around our main course.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Horton Park added a Foot Golf course just before we left there. Such a dumb idea. Just added foot-golf to the front nine so half way through a competition a group of lads would start booting footballs around the golf course, kicking them through the bunkers, was so annoying.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are these foot golf holes as long as the golf holes?

We have it on our par 3 9 hole course. couldn't imagine trying to kick a ball around our main course.
No, haha. Using Richings Park as an example, typically par 3s are 50-75 yards, par 4s are 80-120 yards, and par 5s will be in excess of 120.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site

I don't know if your location of 'nearly in Warwickshire' covers the Birmingham area. If it does there's a shared golf and foot golf facility at Harborne (Church Farm).
I arrived there one evening to find a family of 4 on the first tee of the actual course starting a round of foot golf, and wondering who had priority. Not only that but the foot holes (more like buckets) were close to the greens.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No, haha. Using Richings Park as an example, typically par 3s are 50-75 yards, par 4s are 80-120 yards, and par 5s will be in excess of 120.

Does that mean there is big walks between the holes then? That would put me right off.

Im half tempted to play ours sometime but the urge to play proper golf is too strong and as a group we never get round to it.

D

Deleted member 18588

I don't know if your location of 'nearly in Warwickshire' covers the Birmingham area. If it does there's a shared golf and foot golf facility at Harborne (Church Farm).
I arrived there one evening to find a family of 4 on the first tee of the actual course starting a round of foot golf, and wondering who had priority. Not only that but the foot holes (more like buckets) were close to the greens.

I'm a Brummie born and bred, although I now live 28 miles away, so I remember Church Farm. Certain holes it was advisable to keep a close eye on your ball.

Played football for some years and golf for many more but I can't see the attraction of trying to combine the two.

But hey ho! like I said it isn't aimed at old gits like me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Was FootGolf anything more than a passing fashion anyway?
Clubs were turning their par 3 courses into FootGolf courses to get a bit of cash in. But it seems to have died a death - thankfully....
Golf needs these par 3 courses to encourage newbies to play.