Following on from the 'How much does your other half' thread...

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
How much does your other half support you in your drive & passion to play the beautiful game?

Me personally, my wife says she doesnt mind me playing however what she says and what she actually feels i believe are two entirely different things.

I know it winds her up if i play too often (i play maybe 3 times a month), afterall she doesnt get to spend 5-6 hours away from the kids too often but then i know she feels guilty if she makes me feel bad because its her that has bought me all my gear as presents...so shes caught between a rock and a hard place really!!

My brother though is a completely different kettle of fish...his wife lets him play whenever he wants, to the extent that if he has a day off work and wants to play he'll leave his 2yo daughter with child minders while he gets a round in. At present i'd say he plays 2-3 times per week at least. Also his annual family holiday consists of him going to Portugal for a week with the lads to play golf, then his wife & daughter come out for the 2nd week when the lads have gone home, yet he still plays golf for 2 or 3 days while they are there.

I've had countless arguments with him about this as i feel he's bang out of order. On one side of me there is slight jealousy but then on the other side i couldnt & wouldnt want to be away from my family as much as he is!!

How supportive is your other half?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Very. As long as I am happy, she doesn't care what I do (within reason). She is always busy doing something any way, so it isn't like she would miss me. We don't have kids though, which I would guess makes a huge difference.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
She wants me to otherwise I turn into a right pain in the arse to live with. She even thinks it’s a good idea to reduce my contract at work down to 3 days to play more golf!

As long as my money is in the joint account every month, I do what the hell I want, like Murph no kids is a major factor.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no kids so my wife is happy for me to take one day at the weekend to play golf as long as I leave myself free to spend time with her on the other day.

From her point of view, she is happier now as at least I am only gone for 5 hours or so and do not come home wrecked. When I played rugby I would go out at 10 in the morning, get back at 2 or 3 o'oclock the following morning battered, bruised and semi comatosed from a long beer session. As far as my wife is concerned, golf is a far better option.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
My wifes been ok, I play once at the weekend and in the summer on a Friday evening. She likes me to have the odd weekend off i.e. 1 in 6

A few of you will know, she started playing herself towards the end of last summer, and since then she's been even more tollerant. With that and the little un (12 year old daughter) playing, I'm hoping to be spending a lot more time at the club this year. Plenty of practice and plenty of playing. :D

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When my kids were young, i didnt play that much and hardly ever at weekends, and all I got from HID was occasional reminders of how much a waste of money my Golf Subs were.

Now they are older, 18 & 15, and my son plays too, she's not that bothered, but just has the occasional moan at me, to which I respond that I'm 'just making use of my Golf Subs luv".

Mind you, I dont bat an eyelid when and for how long she goes out for, at least it means I can channel hop to my hearts content.

I better not read too much more into things.......

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Saturdays golf day Sundays are generally family day.

She rarely moans about me being on the course.

In truth I enjoy my Sundays in the park with my daughter more than golf :eek:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I cant complain too much to be honest, I have three beautiful girls and a gorgeous wife who puts up with my rants on a bad day and beaming on the less regular good ones.
I play 9 holes on a Saturday and 18 each Sunday through the winter, then in the good season, just the 18 on a Saturday (competition day).
I am also a member of a fairly large society over here (NIE, managed captaincy this year if anyone remembers my dilemma last year) so once a month I take a half days holiday to take part in it. I have also put my name down for an ulster wide team competition so that could also mean between 1-10 games in the evening through the summer. As a single man this was easy but as a happily married man these days I sometimes feel that I am leaving Zoe on her own a little too often to look after the kiddies, I intend to make up for it this year and push the romantic boat out another few feet.
In a nutshell, she is tolerant but I dont want to push it.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine is very suportive. She does get a bit jelous when the lads from work have organsied a golf trip to wherever & she's not allowed to play, or come for that matter. Though she gets over it soon enough. Especially as she gets to golf with me when we go away on our own breaks if we decide we want to golf. I certainly wouldn't just simply go off golfing & leave her to her own devices, when on holiday, that certainly is bang out of order.

We don't have kids so we're very lucky in some respects, In how flexible we can be. If we did have young children it'd change a lot of what we could or would do.

I have though suggested this year, we do a bit of hill (or coastal) walking instead of golf, or as well as. Because we used to do a lot of hill walking & haven't done anything like that in quite a few years. And I miss using my cameras. I've got a brand new Olympus E510 which I've hardly had the chance to use yet.

Mind you, we used to do a lot of camping & neither of us really feel much inclination to sleep under canvas these days. We've gotten too used to the comfort of sleeping in hotel beds & having breakfast cooked for us. Though I certainly wouldn't be adverse to self catering again if I could find a cottage with a good deal.

It is one thing doing a lot of golfing during the main part of the year, but when on a family holiday time with the family is sacrisanct. So whatever the family as a group want to do, is what we do. But on the flip side, it is nice on say one day to be able to do your own thing. Space can be important too.

When we go down to my parent we're quite lucky in that they are golfers so its an instant 4 ball straight away, should we want to play golf. Though there are plenty of other shared interests as a family we have too.

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
shows no interest, never asks about it just moans about everything when I come in from playing.

Same sh*t for 25 years, used to be football or the bike racing, or the gardening, come to the conclusion that it's a woman thing.

And definitely, "do what the hell you like does" not mean what it says!!
Like the fella who asked his wife what she wanted for xmas and she told him "nothing, I've got everything I need and no need to waste maoney" after following his wifes wishes she didn't speak to him again until easter :D

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And definitely, "do what the hell you like does" not mean what it says!!

Oh that's like when she asks "what do you want to watch" (on the telly) I'll sometimes say: "Watch what you want to watch." Which is man code for... 'You've been hogging the bloomin' remote all evening & the one thing I might have liked to watch is already finished. And I'd rather not make an issue of it, so don't even bother handing the remote to me now.'

On the don't waste money on me issue. I said that to my other half this christmas gone & she didn't believe me. But I was serious I really didn't want her to waste money on things I could simply buy for myself & get exactly what I do want.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
She's good as gold, I play every Saturday during summer and the odd Sunday too if there is a competition on. Every Sunday during the winter, the other day of the weekend is spent with my wife and daughter.

In the summer I play 2 evenings up at the golf club and she has 2 evenings for the gym or whatever.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I work shifts where I'm off a lot of time during the week, so as long as the kids are at school, she's working, I'm free to do what I want. As long as I'm back in the house for the school finishing.
I only get 2 weekends out of 8 off, so I tend to spend some quality family time unless there's a special one ie Spring/Autumn meeting.
Everyone's a winner.

DCB

Visit site
My wife plays as well so we have the diary marked up when the fixture cards are issued. We both manage to get our golf played without too much hastle. When our daughter was still in the rock-a-tot it was not uncommon for me to have to get to the club on a Thursday night to pick her up as my wife was playing in the ladies midweek medal. On one occassion I was late and the wife had left rock-a-tot and daughter in the pro shop for me to pick up !

It also means we get the chance to enter mixed opens etc so it's a good thing really.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the patience, suffering and dedication to my cause HID has shown is well known on here. Not only does she put up with my impulsive purchases, but I play both days at the weekend (or at the practice ground or local range if its not going so well) and come the longer nights will be at the club more or less every evening weither playing a few holes or practicing.

She doesn't mind me using my flexi time to go off and play nor if I book annual leave for a game. As a one car family she is having to drop me off (only fair to let her have the car) and pick me up but never moans. Always asks how practice went or how I did if I played. Never complains about the time I spend on here or writing for the mag. A true saint.

slaznick

Medal Winner
golfsoc.com
I think I must be quite lucky, I have kids of 2 and 7 and always get at least one round in on the weekend. Last two weeks I have played both saturday and sunday and I can definitely feel the tension in the air so will only be playing on sunday this week (in addition to Friday though!!).
Mind you, I tend to go out early so when I get back (about 10.30) they are often only just stirring.
Agree with you though GB72, rugby used to take up a whole day and then I would be moaning for the next three days about not being able to move without pain. Stopped me overswinging though...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Before The Boy came along it was both days most weekends and 2 or 3 times in the week too. But nowadays its maybe evry other weekend but at least once during the week as I can fix my diary to give me a morning.
He's nearly 8 now and starting to show more interest in hitting balls so I might get to spend a bit more time at the club.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I left the Army I used to play Sat & Sun all day and in summer 2 or 3 times mid week all depending on wifes works shifts.

Now,with having two kids and home ed, I only play once a week normally, maybe occasional extra round. Wifes fine about it and does show interest, but after my nodding dog comment in jest in the other thread (which she read :eek:) when I talk golf she she just gives me a gormless look and does the nodding dog. Think I shot myself in the foot with that little bit of humour. :D