Flags Out????

stueyginger

Visit site
Just a thread to show my frustration that we still cannot lift a flag out whilst playing competitive golf.

Does anyone have any idea when they will be allowed to be removed?

I mean most golfers wear a glove, carry a towel to flags and bunker rakes for that matter could easily be removed 'safely'

Personally, I think it's getting beyond a joke, no different from taking a trolley from the side of Tesco, or filling your car up with fuel.

Being an aggressive putter, I've had several bounce outs - don't mind the flag being in from distance but 10ft and under it has to be out for me!!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Not before 12th June.

Im with you, I hated the rule change but at least I could work around it.

Still - if its saved a single life its got to be worth it.

Rakes in bunkers are hopefully in the same boat...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't expect it soon. Probably not even June 12th, it'll be some later date when they're sure everyone's been vaccinated I expect.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree its a ridiculous rule. You pick up a ball thats been rolling through god knows what, but you cant touch the flagstick. If you're that worried about it just sanitise your hands after every hole? But there you are, its the rule for the time being so we have to put up with it

Mandofred

Visit site
I would hope by June....but who knows? I still don't get being able to go to the shops/hairdresser etc etc and not be able to go to the pub.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
It is a mystery to me why golfers in the UK are doing this. Just tell people "No, it is ridiculous. You have not thought this through and we are not going to be dictated to or have our freedoms limited by people with no evidence to back up their assertion." I live in the third worse hit state in the USA and there was never a golf ban, here. People went through a phase of not touching the flag but people pretty quickly realized there are far more likely ways to catch COVID then touching a metal pole in the middle of the countryside very briefly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is a mystery to me why golfers in the UK are doing this. Just tell people "No, it is ridiculous. You have not thought this through and we are not going to be dictated to or have our freedoms limited by people with no evidence to back up their assertion." I live in the third worse hit state in the USA and there was never a golf ban, here. People went through a phase of not touching the flag but people pretty quickly realized there are far more likely ways to catch COVID then touching a metal pole in the middle of the countryside very briefly.
Brilliant idea, we all ignore the (extremely minor) restrictions until they shut down all the courses again for another month. Dear me.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Brilliant idea, we all ignore the (extremely minor) restrictions until they shut down all the courses again for another month. Dear me.

There is something about the UK mindset that seems to love giving up the majority of its rights when the Government says to do so. Just tell them: "We are not shutting our course. It is a private business. People are educated and informed enough to make their own decisions." The lack of trust UK Governments in its population, and UK management has in its workforce when I lived in the UK, with all their red tape and "never question a supervisor or an order" mentality was one of my biggest motivating factors to leave. Sad to see twenty years later, the same mentality still prevails.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is something about the UK mindset that seems to love giving up the majority of its rights when the Government says to do so. Just tell them: "We are not shutting our course. It is a private business. People are educated and informed enough to make their own decisions." The lack of trust UK Governments in its population, and UK management has in its workforce when I lived in the UK, with all their red tape and "never question a supervisor or an order" mentality was one of my biggest motivating factors to leave. Sad to see twenty years later, the same mentality still prevails.
Then everyone gets hit with fines that I'm sure many can't afford. All so we can touch a flagstick that isn't even necessary? Grow up.

D

Deleted member 15344

At Radcliffe-on-Trent in Nottingham they have a local rule that if your ball hits the flag, it's considered holed.
?? too obvious

The mystery is easily solved

Because the games governing bodies have decided upon a set of rules to allow the game to restart up during Covid restrictions and all clubs must follow those rules or face sanctions of closure or fines .
People are more than happy to continue to follow the restrictions to ensure we do our bit to combat this virus.

What's June 12th got to do with anything?

It's the 21st?

But still. Leave them in forever.
Flags will not be “left in forever”

Mandofred

Visit site
What's June 12th got to do with anything?

It's the 21st?

But still. Leave them in forever.
I actually wouldn't mind. Although, from inside 10 feet I kind of like the flag out. Now the question I have asked myself.....because I walk a lot and come up with these stupid questions over the couple hours I'm out there......

Ifffffff, the flag HAD to be left in forever. How much bigger would the hole have to be to allow the same chance of the ball going in the hole? 1/2 inch....1 inch (sorry, not a mm person). Must be some bored math person out there?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Comedy gold. I didn't know you American chaps did sarcasm and satire.

You are in the third worst affected US state. And you didn't have a golf ban, and presumably didn't do a bunch of other stuff. Mmm, could those be connected?

D-S

Visit site
We use these thin flags with the small metal insert to ensure the ball doesn’t fall to the bottom of the hole. Seems the best, most ‘normal’ solution I’ve seen so far.

Attachments

• 6CBC552A-8619-4644-9E10-6C70E4CA1C00.jpeg
    6CBC552A-8619-4644-9E10-6C70E4CA1C00.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 19