Fitting - is it worth it?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes, but explaining the cost of a new set of irons to the better half is easier if you explain you had to be fitted for the length, lie angle, shaft, grip etc. It makes it sound scientific and expensive and so the cost must be justified.
This Man is correct!

babylonsinger

Visit site
I was contemplating getting fitted for a set of irons once I got back into work as a treat but I'm now likely favouring trying to improve my game and technique with a couple of lessons as I don't feel my strike is consistent enough to justify the outlay.

Probably end up upgrading the old set of irons with a more recent second hand set to sort of scratch the itch

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was contemplating getting fitted for a set of irons once I got back into work as a treat but I'm now likely favouring trying to improve my game and technique with a couple of lessons as I don't feel my strike is consistent enough to justify the outlay.

Probably end up upgrading the old set of irons with a more recent second hand set to sort of scratch the itch

I’m very much on the fence when it comes to fitting, I’ve been fitted for a couple of clubs but not for most of them - I haven’t found I hit clubs I’ve been fitted for better than those I haven’t, but I’ve always enjoyed the fitting experience so no regrets. My wife goes for a spa day every so often which costs an arm and a leg, I think I find a club fitting similarly therapeutic! Like a golf pampering session 😂 (yes, I am insane).

Anyway…. Moving to the point I actually wanted to make, although your strike (and mine too) is inconsistent, I think the way you load the shaft is unlikely to fundamentally change even with lessons, unless you’re making huge changes, which very few people really do. So for that reason, you could find the right shaft for you from a fitting that would still be right as your technique improves with lessons. I stay away from “band aid” type things like a draw bias club because that is a technique issue.

I wouldn’t rule out a fitting because of an inconsistent strike. They’re fun, go for it if you want to. That said, I haven’t been fitted for any of the clubs in my bag at the moment!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Fitting - is it worth it?

Only if it is done free of any charge.
The onus should be on the seller to sell clubs that are suitable for you.
It should then be up to you to believe or not believe the sales pitch.

Clothes shops generally do not charge for the service of trying on clothes and examining their "fit".
Should be the same for golf clubs.

"Worth it" in terms of usefulness - certainly, why not? In terms of cost - definitely not, clubs are expensive enough.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not had any fittings, I think it would be a nice experience & I’d hope there’s a gain to be made for the investment but I suspect I just want the experience for what it is rather than any expectation I’d see notable performance gains

I’ve changed almost every club in the bag in the last 8 months and all were bought off the shelf without fitting and all were un-hit. I’ve gained 1½ club lengths with irons, roughly 10mtr with driver & same with FW. Previous clubs weren’t ancient, about 7yrs old so there will be some tech advancement but most of the gain is due to swinging better than I was this time last year

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've done fittings for my driver and my irons. I definitely think it's worth it, if nothing else you get to try out and a bunch of different clubs and pick your favourite - whether that be by the numbers or by personal preference. It also gives you a bit of peace of mind I think - before fittings I was changing my driver every six months, but once I fitted for one I had that confidence that it's right for me so I've kept it 4 and a half years.

The biggest downside is the expense, not of the fitting itself as that usually comes off the final price, but just the fact that you're always fitting for the latest gear which is stupidly priced nowadays. It takes away your option to go second hand or for a reduced older model - unless you're lucky enough that all your fitting results are standard.

mister v

Visit site
My lad has just been fitted, he's 16 and low single figures, i sat in on the fitting, now the fitting he had for his irons and the one i had for my irons was worlds apart, so for a start it depends on who you are having the fitting from. the next thing was they were concentrating on dispersion and land angle, they went through all manor of manufacturers and shaft weights, then lie angle. But there was a real purpose to what they were working on, and the trackman numbers altered accordingly.

Ended up with some titleist T100’s whereas he was using taylormade P790’s. the distance was very similar, but the land angle was very different

Be interesting to see how he gets on this season.

sjw

Visit site
When I was fitted for my irons, there were a couple of sets that definitely came out on top of others in terms of dispersion, and one that I couldn't hit at all, the sole was slightly wider and I hit everything fat.

Had I bought purely on marketing or looks, they might have been one I'd chosen. I won't mention the brand, I'll just say that I was glad nothing else felt like them.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My lad has just been fitted, he's 16 and low single figures, i sat in on the fitting, now the fitting he had for his irons and the one i had for my irons was worlds apart, so for a start it depends on who you are having the fitting from. the next thing was they were concentrating on dispersion and land angle, they went through all manor of manufacturers and shaft weights, then lie angle. But there was a real purpose to what they were working on, and the trackman numbers altered accordingly.

Ended up with some titleist T100’s whereas he was using taylormade P790’s. the distance was very similar, but the land angle was very different

Be interesting to see how he gets on this season.

Just choosing this post as I never see it talked about and in your post its perhaps even more relevant for a 16yr old

Did he get fitted for the grips?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What I would say is that when I got fitted for my irons and driver it definitely stopped me from having my head turned by every new release especially at this time of year when all the new shiny things are hitting the shelves. I knew that the irons/driver in the bag were specially for me with shafts suited to my swing and also the club they'd been fitted into. In that aspect the fitting fee has saved me a considerable amount of money over the years!!

mister v

Visit site
Just choosing this post as I never see it talked about and in your post its perhaps even more relevant for a 16yr old

Did he get fitted for the grips?
Yes he did get fitted on the grips and they did stick with standard.

I do see the benefits of fitting, it will work well for my lad as he can swing the same speed on the same path consistently, I’m playing off 13 and who knows what swing is going to show up!

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm likely up for some new bits and pieces this year....I've stopped using long irons completely. If I carry, I don't take any iron longer than an 8. BUT.....is there an issue if I am being fitted and I want larger grips? Even though I have small hands (mens small glove), I use mid size with at least 3-4 tapes under it. Just don't like the feel of regular sized grips any more. Getting fitted with regular sized grips would seem to be an issue for me.

TheBlackCat

Hacker
Visit site
now the fitting he had for his irons and the one i had for my irons was worlds apart, so for a start it depends on who you are having the fitting from.
Can I ask where he was fitted?

Can anyone recommend a really good place to get fitted within about 1.5 hours drive of Leicester?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had my first ever fitting for irons when I bought some ping zing 2s .. black dot , 1/2” longer than std.
I have always been fit from then on, bt I am so close to average, I can pretty much swing anything around the average and off the shelf. Which is great when renting clubs.
I do think it’s worth doing, I think you get some thing positive. But seeing the ball fly is critical.. best fits have been on grass full range. You see the ball and don’t chase numbers, I think.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had fittings and bought off the shelf. I use to think fittings were a vital part of getting the right set but with my advancing years, limitations through injuries and a decaying body and a swing that I'm not going to fundamentally change at this stage then off the shelf seems a logical step. Indeed my last set (Ping I series) were bought second hand off Golfbidder

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The key measure is by how many shots will a fitting improve your golf. If the improvement is worth the fee, then the answer is clear and for the types of fees they charge even a shot improvement is probably worth it for most of us. If the fitter cant assure you of a true improvement, then run a mile - effectively they are offering you nothing.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I don't imagine that is how it works for a lot of golfers.
They have already embarked on "new clubs thinking" then want to feel assured that they are making the correct choice of specs.
Fitting process is the sales pitch that attempts to remove doubt and build assurance in the mind.
It flicks the "buy" switch to on, if you go along with it.

I believe it is part of a sales pitch and the cost should never be borne buy the buyer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't imagine that is how it works for a lot of golfers.
They have already embarked on "new clubs thinking" then want to feel assured that they are making the correct choice of specs.
Fitting process is the sales pitch that attempts to remove doubt and build assurance in the mind.
It flicks the "buy" switch to on, if you go along with it.

I believe it is part of a sales pitch and the cost should never be borne buy the buyer.
If you're getting fit at American Golf then it's probably like that, yes. But a real fitter will be interested in getting you the correct club with no particular bias over which one it is. The sale is secured by the service received not by steering them in a certain direction. I've gone into fittings with an open mind to get whatever is the best-performing.